Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Axe Attack

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 94 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2010 16:09:51 GMT
Mr Blackwell says:
Schizoid: I love the Down To Earth album,have no problem with his voice(studio),it a great disc and Blackmores playing quite stunning at times,i just feel the live recording on MOR was woeful and Bonnet struggled with the song,Its a Dio classic and should have been left alone.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2010 18:31:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 24 Mar 2010 18:31:52 GMT
Oh ok, we'll agree to differ on that, I thought it was a good effort! I wasn't at the gig myself, but remember people who were there (and reveiws at the time) saying Rainbow were on fire that day.

Posted on 24 Mar 2010 18:37:09 GMT
Guess I must live in my own bubble as I have never heard of/seen any of the sampler albums referred to on this thread.

"Bent my ear to hear the tune"

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2010 18:40:24 GMT
Not into the old K-Tel compilations then Cornish?

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2010 12:25:37 BDT
S. Townsend says:
yep and yep great stuff they were

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Apr 2010 10:21:39 BDT
Totally agree. The sound is 'warmer' and my system still works extremely well.

I have these records in my collection. And no, none of my records are for sale. Gonna use them for my cremation LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2010 21:30:22 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 14 Apr 2010 21:36:31 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Apr 2010 21:34:43 BDT
i had axe attack vol 1, iam 39 and 40 in may. i lost the album but over time i have got back all the songs. as a kid i used to love that album.

Posted on 15 Apr 2010 10:56:32 BDT
Katwoman says:
SP Crowley mentions Metal for Muthas - yes I have this one as well. Am now feeling very nostalgic & can't wait to dust off the turntable!

Posted on 15 Apr 2010 12:29:53 BDT
Sera69 says:
I have every copy of Metal Hammer from issue 1. Deep Purple cover if memory serves. It sucks bllas these days tho, has for sometime. Always prefered Metal Forces personally, and these days i'm a Terrorizor fan.

wat

Posted on 5 Feb 2011 03:15:13 GMT
Sorry Schizoid Mark, but on reflection I dont think there is bad track on either side of vol 1 - not got vol 2 so cant say, but Rush is a red flag for me...

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2011 12:21:32 BDT
Dear Mr.BOF, the musical interlude that we would be enjoying (very thoroughly) would be the advent of a New Wave of British Heavy Metal NWOBHM (these were the days BEFORE 3 letter acronyms, & zit cream). I was 15-16 when these were out, and these cheap K-Tel compilations celebrated Rock artists that since have become legends. Motorhead, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Michael Schenker, . Mixed up with some oldies (at the time) like Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Rush, UFO. At that time this music was not radio friendly and seemingly unpopular, until you went to gigs with 20,000 others. Today the more liberal and enlightened world has room for Kerrang Radio, Planet Rock and XFM. We don't see any New Romantic TV/Radio channels which dominated that era. Just watch "Flight 666" a Rock-u-mentary about Iron Maiden Airways gigging the world in a jet flown by the lead singer, to see the world wide interest. Even if you loathe the music, it is a very interesting concept.

Posted on 26 Feb 2012 09:30:39 GMT
Keith Turner says:
I've got both Axe Attack albums, both are pristine vinyl and will hopefully be worth something when they get passed on to the kids. As for the music, I play the albums regularly and they both have some brilliant moments, though Frank Marino is always a bit of a challenge.

The modern rock scene leaves me a bit cold (I'm 47 to answer the other question) , but I've seen Shinedown several times now and they blow me away like nothing else out there. Check em!!

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 19:10:51 GMT
D. Brown says:
I have both of these albums and if you want a good idea as to the state of heavy rock in the early 80s they are essential.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 22:42:02 BDT
Hi ,
I had this back in the day ,must have got it around winter of 1980 and played it to death .
Don't have it now ,not sure what happened too it also !!
A fantastic group of bands and a great introduction into the genre .
Oh yes I am 45 but still rocking.
Cheers
Neil

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 11:53:33 BDT
Lee73 says:
Remember it well. I had it (Vol 1) when I was a kid and it is what got me into rock and metal in a big way. I'm 39 by the way. As to the vinyl old stuff does sound better on vinyl but some newer releases I've heard are better on cd, both compared on a decent seperates hi-fi. Its the way the actual mastering is done.

Posted on 24 Jun 2012 10:39:51 BDT
Starfighter says:
Anyone else have Lead Weight? It was released by Neat Records and, for me anyway, had the best collection of NWOBHM out there. I still listen to it regularly here in the 21st century. Ain't got the long hair anymore though...

Posted on 12 Jul 2012 17:14:52 BDT
I have re-bought Axe Attack Vol 1 on vinyl recently, having owned it when it first came out. Just brings back the happiest memories - not just the individual songs but the order in which they are listed. For a long time I listened to the individual tracks on their parent albums and was really pissed off when they weren't followed by their Axe Attack companions.

Posted on 6 Aug 2012 20:58:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Aug 2012 21:06:00 BDT
i used to have killer watts, precious metal and brute force compilations. if you google Hear Rock City and go to various , then you will find loads of old nwobhm compliations including axe attack 2 for free downloading.

in fact pretty much all the cds mentioned on here are available to download from the site i mentioned ...also the sounds/cbs heavy metal compilation (remember that one) is there too.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Aug 2012 23:20:56 BDT
Spacepig says:
Uhm, r 'n' r, it looks like that site's downloads have all been blocked for copyright infringement.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 16:51:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Aug 2012 16:55:38 BDT
really???? i downloaded yesterday. i think its because some of the older posts have been stored with mega upload . if you write a comment under the one you want asking him to re upload to mediafire he will and then you can download ok

Posted on 6 Jan 2015 23:58:55 GMT
Great to stumble on a discussion on these two iconic compilations from my youth (I'm 47). My music taste blossomed after borrowing these to albums. Arguably all my favourite bands are found on these two albums. Not sure about the comments about the Scorpions being generally awful?? A matter of taste obviously because I think they've always been amazing. But these albums were the perfect introduction to my favourite music.

Posted on 7 Jan 2015 10:57:32 GMT
idling thru' this thread, and was amused to see mention of 'metal for muthas'. i was working in a killie record shop when this came out, and i still remember the hysterics we had after a happy teenager left the shop with his copy of (as asked for) 'metal for mewthass'. :)

Posted on 7 Jan 2015 16:55:36 GMT
Elastic Rock says:
Yes, guilty to owning both, although this was better - New Wave of British Metal '79 Revisited. Still have them all too!

Posted on 14 Jan 2015 18:40:24 GMT
AJ says:
Amazing to see this old un back up and running!!! And I do agree with the comments on here, Modern Metal is pretty dire!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  14 Jan 2009
Latest post:  29 Dec 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions