Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

The EELS- Does anyone care except me?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Sep 2008 20:46:43 BDT
Like Trent Reznor, i believe Mark Oliver Everett (aka 'E') is a modern musical genius. Lyrically thought provoking and musically unique.
The EELS have a dedicated but small fan base.
Anyone care to agree.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2008 14:21:58 BDT
Yeah, I agree. Have you read his book?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2008 15:37:32 BDT
Mark Oliver Everett is to this generation what Mark E Smith was to the last. A genius who seems to inhabit his own space, and no matter who he surrounds himself with, he always creates something that is uniquley his own.

Have you read his autobiography ?, it is fantastic!!!!!!.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2008 20:08:25 BDT
DavyA says:
Unless you happen to be a fan, why would anyone care ?
I don't mean to sound harsh but hey, couldn't anyone ask the same question about their favourite band (where that band doesn't happen to be Queen, The Beatles The Stones etc ) ??

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2008 23:01:37 BDT
M. Ryott says:
Of course it would be wrong to say Eels matter more than other groups or bands. There are many boy bands, rock/punk groups, crooners and soul artists (the list goes on) down the years that deserve a special place in the history of music. However I have to agree that Eels, and more importantly E rightly deserve a reserved place for consistently producing thoughtful music, in many different formats. It's easy to enjoy their 'The Best Of', but you will love 'Useless Trinkets', full of wonderful gems. Long live E and Eels.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2008 23:50:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2008 20:27:36 BDT
You are missing the point DavyA.
Queen, The Beatles and The Stones make popular music for the masses.
In my opinion Eels ie (E) make personal music from the soul, its not instantly accessible, but much more rewarding when you make the connection. There are many bands i like, there are many bands I like a lot...but Eels occupy a higher level in my musical appreciation. but hey,,thats just me.
I have read the autobigraphy, and i was lucky enough to catch them live last year. Most bizarre gig i have ever attended.
E played a haunting acoustic version of 'Magic World' (from blinking lights) but kept stopping it, because the crowd wanting to sing along !! After the encores, he waited til 90% of the crowd had left the hall, and then came on and played 'Saturday Morning'. Unique and Superb.
pleased to meet some other Eels fans.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2008 22:06:06 BDT
M. Ryott says:
I went to see Eels a few years ago at the London Astoria. It was a magic evening, Eels were completely full on, and it was very heavy all the way through. Although they mean more to me than any other band, and I love rock 'n' roll, I prefer their more mellow tunes, and love the strings and sliding guitars he uses. But I guess you never know which Eels is going to turn up on the night.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2008 14:12:38 BDT
Iommi1 says:
I don't care

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008 16:36:43 BDT
Sera69 says:
I agree with Butler.

Some artists stay focused to their personal vision and keep their fire and draw in a small, like-minded band of devotees.

Others are always aiming for popular appeal. Many manage popular appeal whilst remaining focused to their vision but as long time fans of any artist know it can be quite galling when your favourite goes stellar (Metallica, anyone?) Then there's those who become popular and try always to reproduce themselves to remain popular. Usually their returns diminish gradually until the concert circuit and greatest hits tours take over (Yes, i'm looking at you Oasis/Coldplay :o) )

Fans of those dedicated artists are used to the blank stares from others and the feeling of banging ones head against the wall of popular music but they are bouyed by the true and righteous knowledge that they will be proved right. In time.

Well i'm happy to bang my head on Mark E Everetts wall all day! He's a genius.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2008 19:20:58 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Nov 2011 14:43:40 GMT]

Posted on 9 Feb 2009 16:22:12 GMT
For once ( and only time) I was in on the ground floor and had obtained a copy of Beautiful Freaks before it was officially released in this country. Absolutly fell in love with the album but promptly declared that this was one band who would never make it. Naturally they were on TOTP the day after with a number one or something, yet again showing what I know. Given the success Eels enjoyed, their fan base can't have been all that small.
Anyway, I really just wanted to say Deep Purple In Rock

Posted on 15 Feb 2009 16:12:17 GMT
G. Lewis says:
I care...alot

Posted on 15 Feb 2009 16:19:05 GMT
D. Reynolds says:
I don't really care. The song on Shrek was quite sweet. Is that the kind of comment that winds up a true fan?

Posted on 16 Feb 2009 04:42:28 GMT
S. R. Tulip says:
No.

Posted on 17 Feb 2009 11:34:08 GMT
bobbo52 says:
This is just a bunch of people saying they like Eels. I concur but fail to see the point.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (741 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  19 Sep 2008
Latest post:  17 Feb 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions