Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

What is Prog?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 329 posts in this discussion
Posted on 24 Jul 2013 00:52:35 BDT
Shadowblade says:
Can anyone help me with this?
When I was about 11 or 12 in the early '70s I was in a record and Head shop in St Ives called "Chy an Stylus", walls covered in Roger Dean posters, beads and bongs on sale and music playing, lots of jangling 12 string guitars, melodic hook after the chorus and all I really remember are the words:

"And when you think you've got it all (drum drum drum), you haven't got a thing" (wah-wah-wah-waaah-waaah on lead)

Nearly 40 years later I have heard every thing of value Yes, Gentle Giant and Genesis have ever produced (none of those), most by Jethro Tull (definitely not them), Camel, Floyd etc etc and have never managed to find out who it was. I really don't think it was Supertramp, Greenslade, Gong, Steve Hillage or anyone else I can think of.

Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 18:48:54 BDT
RedAlFire says:
If you don't mind I'll stick this on before I get into yours...The Kettle

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 16:54:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2013 17:04:41 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Quite right, who gives a Flying Teapot?..................another wonderful example of 1970s prog. Be warned though, this particular copy does not contain the original version of the track 'Flying Teapot' although you do get the original vinyl front cover.

Posted on 17 Jun 2013 16:15:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2013 16:25:58 BDT
RedAlFire says:
Prog...a 4 letter word used as an abbreviation for Progressive. Both terms are used as a battle cry for a veritable plethora of self-opinionated musical 'experts' to bash others over the head with when any disagreement to their angle on 'prog' is dared to be questioned.

OK, I'm generalising...but be honest, there are so many who take the mantle of prog and happily rattle on for hours about what is, and what can never be, labelled with a pretty nondescript 4 letter word getting more irate and dogmatic with each post. I enjoy a large amount of the music that is (allegedly) indicated by the word, along with a lot of music that isn't...but perhaps should be. I include it in the general 'prog' term, but then discover that some 'expert' has decided it isn't and wants to rant and rave that he is right. If I disagree I'm told that I'm narrow minded and that 'expert' has the right to his opinion, which appears to be the only accepted one and I should listen...if I reply I usually get told I'm wrong because 'expert' has seen such and such a band or has the original recording of such and such a track or heard it on a programme about 'prog' or from a musician who was a 'God' in prog or 'is old enough to remember the birth of prog' or that they just 'know' (whereas I of course do not).

Who gives a flying 'prog'? By nature all music is progressive, no two performances can be the same whether 'live' or studio there must be a difference. A different interpretation or performance is still a progression, whether better or worse, faster or slower. Goes for original music and covers.

Progressive Rock was a far better term (even though it has always thrown up the same kind of 'experts') and the perfidious deterioration of the English language over the years gave/gives us 'Prog'. The necessity for the word 'Progressive' (or it's abbreviation) is really quite outdated now, there are just too many ways that music of every description is progressing given new techniques, equipment and the like. Pretty sure most of us don't hold with most of the results...but isn't that what it's all about? Time for a new word!!!

I have my own genres and classifications nowadays....I like, I might like, I don't like as much. The collection is far more manageable and progs are restricted solely to the TV!

Disclaimer: This is a general observation (with my tongue a little in my cheek) based on quite a few responses (but certainly not all) I've encountered on threads on this subject.

I fully realise that most of you on here are interested in the subject as a matter of discussion and perhaps enjoy the cut and thrust of arguments over what is and what isn't, I'm certainly not intimating that any of you have been the 'expert' I have indicated...unless of course you want to be! ;-)

Posted on 17 Jun 2013 14:21:57 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Another one that might be of interest Still Life With Eggplant

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2013 08:10:27 BDT
N. Hudson says:
This one I was aware of. It attracted my attention with Phil Manzanera.

Posted on 12 Jun 2013 23:48:34 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Men Singing A wonderful mid priced download from the 'No man' camp featuring other famous musicians

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2013 19:50:26 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
Some compare it to post Gabriel Genesis. Not cheesy enough to justify that comparison imo. Some compare it Porcupine Tree. It doesn't have the technical brilliance to justify that. I would consider a comparison to SW's No Man if anything but it is worth giving it a go without having any thought for PC's previous vocal misgivings.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2013 08:58:17 BDT
N. Hudson says:
I am familiar with it, but have not heard anything yet from them. I admit my main stumbling block is the Phil Collins connection....
However, I've rarely (if ever) been put wrong by a RM recommendation, so I guess I'd better go and have a listen.

Posted on 12 Jun 2013 08:49:59 BDT
Red Mosquito says:
For those who are not already familiar, this might be of interest Dimensionaut

Posted on 25 Dec 2012 10:10:17 GMT
N. Hudson says:
Sticking to the idea that music can be progressive, without being prog (or that some music labeled prog is not particularly progressive), I received the final two cds to complete my High Dependency Unit collection: Fire Works and Metamathics. I love HDU, and have seen them play live several times - and they are amazing live. They are perhaps more of a live band, than a studio band, but their studio releases are still awesome. Their sound has changed somewhat with each release (progressed?), and thanks to Father Christmas, I have them all. Woohoo!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Dependency_Unit

Posted on 25 Dec 2012 03:05:05 GMT
Shadowblade says:
How do you get in touch with the idiots who delete posts for no reason? It's not like I said Amazon staff are a bunch of sock-cucking fig-puckers. I put some effort into that post.

~

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Dec 2012 02:56:10 GMT
Shadowblade says:
Why was it deleted?

WTF?

~

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 20:20:42 GMT
S.R.J says:
quite sir..verrily indeed.
S.R.J

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 18:09:43 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I missed that one. Been at work all day. Any chance of repeating it without the the bit(s) that have offended Zon? Or with the bit(s) in disguise

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 12:24:28 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 24 Dec 2012 12:40:13 GMT]

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 07:50:57 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
But I was an immature adolescent. I think it reinforced the fact that we had the ability to laugh at ourselves. When you read the rest of the lyrics from that album, one of the best prog albums ever made imo, it's easy to understand why it was attractive to a multitude of pretentious nerds.

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 23:34:02 GMT
Shadowblade says:
I don't want to throw in a stink bomb in to this thread as I already said my piece months ago, but I absolutely hate the term. Hate and loathe it with a passion. Apart from sounding utterly stupid on the ear it makes people sound like immature adolescents trying to impress. Like calling Amazon "Zon", or Yahoo "Yah" or Planet Rock "Pla Ro".

When my dad picked up the cover 37 years ago and asked "What kind of music do you call this?" just as Jon Anderson sang:

"I listened hard but could not see,
Life tempo change out and inside me"

I answered "Progressive Rock!" with a feeling of pride that he seemed to actually like it. He looked slightly surprised and nodded with a thoughtful "Hmmm..."

If I had said "Prog!" I'm sure he'd have thought I was a teenage twonk and I'd still be embarrassed to this day about what a pretentious nerd I was.

~

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 21:43:21 GMT
The reason no-one used the term 'prog' back in the 70s is because it was too short. 'Progressive rock' (sometimes followed by a comma and then the word 'man') seemed to suffice. And yes, I was no different to anyone else (,man).

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 18:25:34 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Thanks for the link SRJ. The current discussion asks "when was the word 'prog' first used to describe progressive rock. Most people think it started in the 80s/90s. I think it was around in the 70s. The illusion I hold on to is due to being a big prog fan from 71 to 77 but losing interest in it thereafter. I was never into the 80s neu prog bands [Marillion etc] but remember regularly using the word prog around 74/75. Or did I? At 55 I may already be losing my marbles

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 16:37:20 GMT
S.R.J says:
Does this help......?

"Though "progressive jazz" had been used as a term of approbation of and for non-trendy, non-danceable jazz since the late 1920s, the term "progressive rock" saw print only for the first time in the English language (and, I presume, anywhere) in 1968 in the Chicago Tribune. This first mention of prog carried no deep disgust or glorious praise, just a simple and descriptive recognition that this was not regular pop or rock. "

from here- http://progarchy.com/2012/10/22/first-3-uses-of-the-term-progressive-rock-in-english/

S.R.J

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 14:16:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Dec 2012 16:08:14 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
I think you're right FDJ. It was introduced by the music press but the question is how long ago? I rang a mate last night who has kept a lot of copies of 1970s Melody Maker and Sounds. I've asked him to try and find when prog was used. When it comes to music he's as anal as me so he accepted the mission with gusto. Anyway, whilst I'm here has anyone heard this album or even heard of the band? Not many reviews on Zon. Excellent music though.
Argot

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 21:45:56 GMT
FDJ says:
I remember using the words "progressive rock" in conversations with mates in the 70's, but we never used the word "prog"i think the term "prog" was coined as an abbreviation by the music press.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2012 19:09:33 GMT
N. Hudson says:
My mind is still trying to get around the phrase "in the early 90s, about 20 years ago now", and I'm struggling. It doesn't seem possible that the early 90s were about 20 years ago now. It makes me feel terribly old. (Though in this forum, I am quite possibly one of the younger posters.) I was at a cd and record fair today, in my lunch hour. Made me almost wish I had a turntable. The vinyl selection was far superior to the cds on offer, with all manner of titles I would have quite happily paid for. I still like a look though, because I've made some good purchases in the past from these fairs. There's nothing more satisfying than finding a hard to obtain release for a silly price. I remember finding Change Has Come for a pound at a cd and record fair once. One pound! Bargain!

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 09:50:08 GMT
The first time I heard/saw the word prog was in the early 90s, about 20 years ago now at a record fair.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (785 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  42
Total posts:  329
Initial post:  18 Mar 2012
Latest post:  24 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions