Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

slowcore - make me a recommendation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Posted on 11 Oct 2011 18:44:26 BDT
NemOmeN says:
Get Saint Vitus-Born Too Late. I, like a few others here, am not 2 clear on what slowcore actually is but I assure you this album is slow, dark & heavy.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2011 22:58:13 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 1 Nov 2011 18:46:52 GMT]

Posted on 10 Sep 2011 23:25:01 BDT
What the hell is slowcore? Listen to Earth 2, it makes Slint sound like The B-52s.

Posted on 22 Jun 2011 19:15:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2011 19:30:31 BDT
CJ Loades says:
Low-I could live in hope. All their albums are good but this one is brilliant.
Bedhead: any of their 3 albums
Red House Painters, already mentioned but untouchable.
Red Stars Theory: But sleep came slowly
Victory at Sea- Carousel; Memories Fade; The Good Night
Appendix Out- The Night is advancing; Daylight Saving
Seam- the Problem with me
27-Songs from the edge of the Wing
Hayden-Skyscraper National Park; Everything I Long for.

You absolutely must check out the Bedhead and Victory at Sea albums in particular, they are 2 completely overlooked groups but as good as it gets.

Posted on 20 Jun 2011 20:51:20 BDT
N. Hudson says:
I had no idea what slowcore was, so had to google. Is this just another label slapped on to music somewhat unnecessarily in order to attempt to "define" another "genre" of rock?
If so, I suspect it is slapped retrospectively on several bands, and/or the original slowcore bands no longer resemble what is now considered to be typical of the genre (cf Sunny Day Real Estate, who were once considered "emo" but sound absolutely NOTHING like what appears to be "emo" these days...)

In any case, as I look through a supposed list of bands and artists that may be considered slowcore (and, yes, I admit I am basing this purely on my google "research", as I am still unconvinced that slowcore as a genre actually exists), I can recommend the following on the basis that I think they are great. (Isn't that why most of us recommend something to another - because we enjoy it ourself?)

Autolux - they have two albums out. Start with "Future Perfect".
Enemy - not to be confused with the UK band. This is a US band fronted by Troy Van Leeuwen - but sounding far more like his time in Failure, than his time in A Perfect Circle or Queens of the Stone Age. Only one album that I am aware of, "Hooray for Dark Matter" - as Van Leeuwen's "solo" career is now with Sweethead (also well worth a listen!).
Failure - a prelude to Autolux, in that Greg Edwards was a member of Failure before creating Autolux. Three albums, start with "Fantastic Planet".

Galaxie 500 - OK, this is a MUST! Galaxie 500, by some (google) accounts were the forerunners, innovators and instigators of what is apparantly now called slowcore! All three of their studio albums have recently been reissued as "deluxe" editions, with extra tracks and a second disc. Each of the second discs were releases in their own rights (Peel Sessions, Uncollected, and live in Copenhagen), but as none are readily available it is now FAR cheaper to buy the three double disc editions than to buy the six original releases - and, of course, you get remastered sound and extra tracks. Well worth it! If you buy nothing else on this list, buy Galaxie 500!

Hum - I don't know how I ended up with this, but I have "You'd Prefer an Astronaut" and it's rather good. They have other albums, so I might have to investigate myself...
Luna - What Dean Wareham got up to after Galaxie 500 dissolved. More poppy and far more polished than Galaxie 500 - possibly not slowcore?
Lusk - I think they have only one album ("Free Mars"), but it is gorgeous! I love it! Dallies on the edges and borders of slowcore and psychadelic.

If any of the above are not slowcore, blame google and not me. I still am not convinced there is such a thing! :D

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 21:02:46 GMT
ElmoDelmo says:
Well, you want 'Spiderland' by Slint. The king of all post-rock/slowcore blah-blah

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2008 20:52:01 GMT
I second Jesu.
But Slowcore? What the hell?
The last thing the world needs is another silly -core genre.
There's already classifications out there that fit most of these bands.
For GY!BE there's post-rock, and for Jesu there's Shoegaze/Doom Drone.

Slowcore? Hah.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2008 16:50:55 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 1 Nov 2011 18:45:28 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2008 16:38:52 GMT
You might have a crack at Yo La Tengo's "And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out", though it's in similar territory to Low. For a more oblique (and Germanic!) take on the sluggish and stately, try "Silur" by Tarwater.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 10:40:28 BDT
If you're into slow stuff at the moment try these:

The Eye of Every Storm by Neurosis
any album you can find by YOB

They're not slowcore, they're more on the heavy side but they play some unbelievable music; emotive, textural, arranged and on occasion; beautiful. And they're most definitely slow!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 10:19:51 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 1 Nov 2011 18:45:26 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2008 09:25:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Oct 2008 09:56:01 BDT
Anything by the Swans, Slowdive, maybe even Jesu.

You may even like the first Godspeed You Black Emperor album & Grails who are on the brooding instrumental side of things and Gravenhurst who are a bit more folky.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 21:16:24 BDT
Stephen Song says:
Try 'Frigid Stars' by Codeine - pretty much a definitive slowcore album. The For Carnation album still really stands out though - there's not much like it, you're right. Lazy critters though, when's the next album coming? Another recommendation, though not strictly slowcore as it came to be known, would be 'Children of God' by Swans. It's slow, it's core, it's very fine.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2008 18:33:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 Oct 2008 18:34:10 BDT
Sera69 says:
Hmm... That's a new genre on me.
Have to wonder what Fastcore would be? (lol)

So, a quick net search lays us in alt.country/nu-folk territory (*shiver...*) American Music Club, Galaxie 500, Low and Red House Painters seem to be the Daddys of the scene but only Low ever did it for me.

Some artists i recognise and like that fell under the 'Slowcore' umbrella were: Bon Iver, Arab Strap (of course), Hem are pretty sublime, Movietone are special, too. And Robin Proper-Sheppards' Sophia should not be discounted.

Are we in shoe gazing territory, as well? If so, Catherine Wheels' debut is top-notch with a couple of awesome tracks; heavy, too. Mazzy Stars' 'She Hangs Brightly' is also special.

Looking forward to seeing what else turns up, for sure...

Initial post: 6 Oct 2008 16:42:01 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 1 Nov 2011 18:45:26 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (739 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  6 Oct 2008
Latest post:  11 Oct 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions