Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Goodbye Earl Scruggs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Mar 2012 18:06:40 BDT
S.R.J says:
I know many have given their views re banjo playing, I happen to love it, and the death of one of the masters seems to have gone unnoticed...or has it. Anyway we cannot possibly be taken seriously as music lovers without noting his passing. He was the template upon which some great musicians have modelled themselves including Bella Fleck, Ricky Scaggs and others.
R.I.P Earl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2M0L_C1s8&feature=related

S.R.J

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2012 18:38:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2012 18:40:28 BDT
nocheese says:
Not unnoticed, SRJ - there was an obituary in the Guardian today, and a piece about him on Radio 4's 'Last Words' this afternoon. I agree with your assessment of him, one of the greats. Are you familiar with his nephew Chris Scruggs?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Av1ObJwYtI

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 19:18:22 BDT
Flatt & Scruggs were an absolutely fantastic act. was sorry they broke up but that's life.
Anyway Earl had a unique style, copied often but never beaten. Will be sadly missed by his very many U.K. fans. My thoughts are with his family.

Posted on 30 Mar 2012 19:21:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2012 19:26:15 BDT
Mondo Ray says:
I posted his obituary on the Rock & Rolling News Thread on the Music Forum at about 2.am. last night.

Also that of Jerry McCain.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 22:27:11 BDT
MC Zaptone says:
RIP to them both.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 15:42:02 BDT
Shamed to say I wasnt aware SRJ until your post, esp since I'm a bit of a 3-finger roll merchant myself. Then again I dont read the papers. He was THE man viz bluegrass banjo and I've spent many an hour trying to perfect Foggy Mountain Breakdown. Pity he's not more widely known outside of Bluegrass and country circles as he was one of music's few true innovators.

Posted on 4 Apr 2012 21:46:25 BDT
Geffers says:
Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt did so much to make Bluegrass more widely known ,probably even more in some ways than its founder and in whose band they played Bill Monroe .Even people who are unaware of who they were usually know their two most famous recordings The ballad of Jed Clampett from the Beverly Hillbillies and the very popular Foggy mountain breakdown. They did not know each other until they joined Monroe's band. Scrugg's took the old Carolina three finger banjo playing to new heights playing faster and smoother than past players such as Charlie Poole. Scruggs and Flatt split up because Flatt wanted to stay playing what he considered to be older more traditional styling while Skruggs was more open to new styles and recorded with a plethora of folk and country stars .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  30 Mar 2012
Latest post:  4 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions