Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Anyone remember the Welsh band MAN?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Nov 2008 21:55:54 GMT
FDJ says:
I have recently been playing their Maximum Darkness Cd and i can't believe how good they were.Many Are Called, But Few Get Up Is a unsung rock classic!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2008 23:32:02 GMT
Blueslover says:
I've got a couple of their albums(vinyl of course).The first one just called MAN and the live album that folds out into a map of Wales.Saw them live back in the 70's as well-Deke Leonard was with them at the time.Excellent band!!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Dec 2008 02:10:42 GMT
MC Zaptone says:
I used to spend every Sunday in the early 70's @ The Roundhouse for the 'Implosion' (live bands 4pm-11) if memory serves and Man were practically the house band I've still got 'Be Good To yourself.....') vinyl. They were a great live act and as you say 'Many are called...is a corker live. another really good band that were favourites at 'Implosions' were a blues-Rock band called Vinegar Joe with Elkie Brooks & Robert Palmer sharing vocals, god they were a loud band. If you only remember these two from the cheesy 80's look on u/tube under Vinegar Joe you will be quite surprised. Does anyone remember the free UA sampler
Man appeared on 'All Good Clean Fun'?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 00:47:39 GMT
jonthemorsk says:
never heard of em. however, as a result of your question i gots me rhinos winos and lunatics. (fancied the title)god save the queen cried jesus? genius. why did noone tell me. the drummer is great. nothing obvious about his playing. who doesnt like a rock flute solo? kinda deads (workingmans dead era) meets slade. scotch corner! is that a mandolin or just a clever bit of geetah? robbie robertson came to mind here. i really like it! thanks FdJ! its goin on my ipod tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 01:41:45 GMT
The Baron says:
Heard a few Man tunes,some better than others. Anybody into a more prog.style could check out Neutrons [there`s a 2 album c.d on Amazon], which featured a couple of members of Man. Not essential listening,but it has it`s moments. Notably, Living In The World Today, Dance Of The Psychedelic Lounge Lizards, Going To India and Snow Covered Eyes. 1st album`s definitely better than the 2nd [and final].

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 08:13:58 GMT
Baldman says:
Terry williams was the drummer - later he beat the skins for that other great welshman dave edmunds, and a little known guitarist mark knopfler

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 08:59:20 GMT
Look out for the 'Keep On Crinting' compilation, it captures the best of the band. They are still touring, with two of the sons of the original players taking their places.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 09:43:18 GMT
Neil says:
I remember Man from the 70s, although I've heard nothing of them since. They are remembered in song by Half Man Half Biscuit on the song A Shropshire Lad, from the album Voyage To The Bottom Of The Road. That's worth listening to.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 16:00:45 GMT
Yeah Deke Leonard iceberg, great stuff

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 17:15:09 GMT
KayJay S says:
Remember?? I have never forgotten them. An all time classic band..and still performing, even if it is the sons of band members are flying the flag, with Martin Ace still playing the bass. Check out Live at the Padget Ballroom Penarth CD. A classic vinyl album now a double CD. Man at their best. I reckon The Many are called is even better on here and the version of Spunk Rock is the best ever, even better than the classic version on the Greasy Truckers CD. Also check out the (the now) 3 CD version of Back into the future from 1973.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Dec 2008 20:07:24 GMT
Paul Evans says:
Top band from Swansea. I was a fan from my teen years and was lucky later in my career to be their sound man occassionally when they were on tour. They are still going but only Martin Ace the bass player is left from their early days. Main Man man Mickey Jones has been very unwell lately after a brain haemorage, Deke has retired after heart problems. Mickey's son George is playing guitar for them now. They were fantasic live and had a brilliant Wesh sense of humour. Read Deke's book "Rhinos Winos and Lunatics"... hilarious story of the band.

Paul Evans... Cardiff

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2008 16:07:45 GMT
Heard them first on a Live Benefit Concert Double Album (for Miners I think) and loved them. Agree another great band such as Gentle Giant, Nazareth etc who were too often overlooked. Unlike today, there was a limited budget for album purchases - An album was about 3 pounds out of earnings of less than 12 - and fewer people to buy them. Bands such as these fell by the wayside.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2008 00:08:39 GMT
C. Young says:
Maximum darkness . i remember it well, I was at the roundhouse when it was recorded. a Fantastic live act.
Rhino's wino's & lunatics was another good studio album.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2008 00:29:01 GMT
Yes, max darkness is an absolutely superb live set, especially the expanded version with a 23 minute c'mon. Fantastic! Every song is a classic. Many are called... is a classic song, and in my opinion, this is the definitive version. Anyone who appreciates experimental guitar rock should check this out pronto.

Posted on 10 Feb 2009 23:20:52 GMT
Man are still touring, although only Deke Leonard survives from the original days and he looks like Santa playing the blues these days. I saw them a couple of years back, but they didn't play Bananas - boo hiss Q!!!

Posted on 11 Feb 2009 02:26:04 GMT
S. R. Tulip says:
Saw them at Newcastle City Hall in 73 - they were rubbish.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2009 13:06:23 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Feb 2009 13:06:49 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2009 13:06:26 GMT
thedodge says:
What about Budgie, I loved seeing Metallica rehearse Breadfan on the Culture Show special.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2009 13:34:06 GMT
The last time I saw Man was at the Half Moon pub in Putney, must of been late'80s/early '90s, unfortunatly Deke Leonard had broken his hand or finger so couldn't play (although he was there propping up the bar with Dave Pegg from Fairport getting totally pi**ed!) Instead Dave Edmunds sat in and they played mostly rock n' roll standards. Great night!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2009 13:37:26 GMT
BOF says:
Hey Schizoid you're getting old, you've told us that one before (at least you're consistant unlike some!)
Best bones.
B.O.F.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2009 15:29:15 GMT
lucyglitters says:
er - yes - went to see them at the de montfort in leicester in 1976 - remember nothing about it - the friend i went with never spoke to me again - so if anyone saw a girl behaving badly, please tell me what i did! (gently)

Posted on 20 Feb 2009 14:39:25 GMT
I saw them at Cropredy Festival in '94

Posted on 12 Mar 2009 17:20:58 GMT
who remembers seeing/hearing them play Prelude and The Storm

Posted on 9 Feb 2012 14:38:24 GMT
I saw Man live twice . Once in Aberystwyth where I worked for a while , then in Bangor .
I was about 20 then , I'm 55 now and still listen to them with the volume as loud as I want because I live in a remote little croft house on the Isle of Skye .
Happy days .

Posted on 10 Feb 2012 08:58:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Feb 2012 08:59:23 GMT
Red Mosquito says:
Great live band PHW. I saw them at Bradford St Georges Hall on their Rhinos, Winos and Lunatics tour. It's still my favourite album of theirs, along with Back Into The Future.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (732 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xa809be7c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  29 Nov 2008
Latest post:  29 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions