Customer Discussions > rock discussion forum

Flufftastic! Alan Freeman Top Tens

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Nov 2008 12:35:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2008 12:38:26 GMT
Number Six says:
Greetings, music lovers! Alright?!
For those of a certain age, those words opened the 3 hour saturday afternoon celebration of all things ROCK during he mid '70s. Dear old Fluff provided a huge chunk of my adolescent musical education, and this is just a wee celebration of the man and his noble and joyously enthusiastic efforts in bringing this much maligned music to the masses.

So: Top ten selections of albums first heard on the Saturday Show, please. Old rockers of the net unite! You've been abused long enough, and have nothing left to lose but the last miserable, tattered shreds of your musical credibility!
(I have no shame, as I lost the last of my cred years back.)

For what it's worth, here is mine:

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
ELP - Trilogy
Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink
Greenslade - Bedside Manners Are Extra
Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Gong - Camembert Electrique
Van Der Graaf Generator - H To He, Who Am The Only One
Todd Rundgren's Utopia - The Utopia Album
Camel - 1st Album
Gryphon - Red Queen To Gryphon Three

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2008 15:36:42 GMT
The man is surely missed, that`s for sure. Where is there nowadays on mainstream radio to hear anything other than that which currently pollutes the charts? Both Fluff and John Peel ( before the punk thing got to him) were great in getting to hear bands such as Van Der Graaf, Focus, Gentle Giant, Barclay James Harvest etc. I clearly remember hearing Hocus Pocus on JP`s show, then hearing Still Life on Fluff`s show. Both instances alerted me to the bands in question. Oh how we need a modern day fluff! There`s Planet Rock etc but nothing that most people can gain instant access to. If there was, would non events like the Arctic Monkeys be lauded so much? I would like to think not.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2008 19:00:48 GMT
I seem to remember Mr Freeman playing the whole album Dark Side of the Moon in a fondly and vaguely recalled seventies saturday....another great show much later, probably early eighties on a sunday night was Alexis Korner - vaguely remember it was a little bit like Dylans show - mixing old blues, country, cajun, rock of various types...I would love to be able to get playlists for those shows..

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2008 22:04:52 GMT
motorheadted says:
Used to stay in on a Saturday afternoon just for a bit of Fluff while my mates were out on their Choppers or playing with their Clackers (ooer).Here's a few i first heard played by the great Fluff,some of 'em i'm still listening to(most of 'em actually).
Curved Air-Midnight Wire
Rush-2112
Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti
Groundhogs-Black Diamond
Hawkwind-Space Ritual
Be-Bop Deluxe-Axe Victim
Stretch-Life Blood
Lone Star-Firing on all Six
Yes-The Yes Album
ELP-Brain Salad Surgery

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2008 19:59:37 GMT
Number Six says:
Solidarity, Mr Edwards! Clackers, oy, I still have the chipped wrist bones.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2008 22:10:38 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Nov 2008 22:18:38 GMT
i was another fan of fluffs saturday afternoons show so badly missed but have a d.a.b. radio so at least i can listen to planet rock wich is really good and its on 24hours a day too many albums to mention most of my collection comes from listing to his show

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Nov 2008 23:41:53 GMT
motorheadted says:
Yes,solidarity comrade!Was never into Clackers myself,was more of a Space Hopper & Yo-Yo man.Spent many a happy hour listening to Fluff though & under the bed covers listening to Peel.Would listen to Peel 'til midnight when Radio 1 shut down for the night,then try to tune into Radio Luxemburg & listen to that 'til 2 when that shut down too.Happy days!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2008 18:13:01 GMT
FDJ says:
Fluff was a God and is sorely missed,but try tuning into Planet Rock where his legacy and spirit lives on!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2008 16:52:18 GMT
Jellybean says:
A few more to thank Fluff for introducing: -

Al Di Meola - Land Of The Midnight Sun
Brand X - Unorthodox Behaviour
Gong - Shamal
Vangelis - Heaven & Hell
Camel - The Snow Goose
National Health - Of Queues & Cures
Druid - Fluid Druid

Posted on 1 May 2009 23:35:26 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 1 May 2009 23:36:00 BDT]

Posted on 1 May 2009 23:37:49 BDT
Hareand says:
Sorry to post so late but I just found this...I was a Saturday afternoon devotee and clearly remember the first Queen album (was it a man or a woman...?!), what sticks in my mind were the brilliant live sessions (remember Lone Star?) but I am really being bugged by one of the Fluff sessions...I think the song was (or had a lyric) "Come Back Baby" and maybe was by Widowmaker / Ariel Bender, it had a fantastic guitar break - I have it cassette somewhere but does anyone know it or know where I can get it?

Posted on 2 May 2009 08:31:02 BDT
S.R.J says:
Mr Miller-"Where is there nowadays on mainstream radio to hear anything other than that which currently pollutes the charts?" Have you got a DAB? On radio 6 at weekends (note weekdays it's a bit mainstream) there are some good shows eg sunday at 17:30 Maconies freak zone 22:00 Guy Garvey plays some really nice and realtively obscure stuff etc etc

Posted on 2 May 2009 16:27:59 BDT
Leftin says:
Fluff was a gentleman, and an original. The Saturday/Sunday Rock Show (late '80s - mid '90s) is something I still play on over-used cassettes! He first announced that Pete Way and Phil Mogg were forming a new UFO in '91, and the fabulous High Stakes and Dangerous Men album arrived not too long after. Fluff was really THE champion of Prog, though. On with the motley!

Posted on 29 May 2009 19:16:56 BDT
Fluff was a great DJ with superb diction and a gentleman to boot. Back in the day he never, ever spoke over the intro or outro of a record - it was almost like a trademark. Seriously missed.

Hell, we could easily forgive him advertising Brentford Nylons on tv back in 1973!

Posted on 9 Jun 2009 07:59:43 BDT
The magnificent Fluff was part of my early musical education (all through the radio). I miss his beautiful voice; a gentleman introducing some of the craziest music with such elegance! He was a master broadcaster.

Alright? Not 'Arf!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2009 13:03:46 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Does this adulation of said DJ make you all 'Fluffers'? That sucks!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2010 14:57:05 BDT
R. I. Hawdon says:
How many of these Fluff recordings do you have? Do you have the one from 30th June? (After the Knebworth Concert), I've only got the first hour of it :-(

Posted on 13 Jul 2010 17:07:31 BDT
Anyone know what the name of the classical piece that he used to accompany the countdown for the top 20? I loved all of the snappy sound bites he used.

Posted on 13 Jul 2010 22:55:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jul 2010 22:57:15 BDT
T. Franklin says:
Smitty - do you mean this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht5VekQCjFE

or perhaps more likely, this.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOb4Ac2CLXA&feature=related

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2010 00:17:11 BDT
BOF © says:
SMITTY try this Alan Freeman's Classical Bits and it starts at 3p
best bones
B.O.F.
and now I'm off to bed Goodnight

Posted on 14 Jul 2010 07:38:49 BDT
I remember a priceless moment from the 80s - I think it was either Juke Box Jury or Pop Quiz - when Fluff told John Lydon to shut up! Lydon was doing his usual tired act of mouthing off against whatever music was being discussed and Fluff was expressing his respect for the musicians concerned. Fluff 1 - Lydon 0!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2010 12:51:38 BDT
Indebted once again, many thanks, BOF!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2010 12:55:10 BDT
Yes, to the latter. Many thanks, TF!

Posted on 14 Jul 2010 13:06:23 BDT
BOF © says:
Doh Smitty you've already been
Best bones
B. O. F

Posted on 17 Jul 2010 14:04:25 BDT
god bless fluff. one of the best . a true gentleman and a very talented d.j. they don't make 'em like him any more!!!! i hope he's keeping the almighty entertained.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rock discussion forum (751 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  rock discussion forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  6 Nov 2008
Latest post:  15 Apr 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions