Customer Discussions > rhythm and blues discussion forum

CDs so much better than downloads ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Oct 2012 12:47:23 BDT
alex duffy says:
As a old time soul music lover, i love collecting cd re issues, of my vinyl album 70/80s classics...I find downloads, lack the material thrill ,you get from owning the old school albums in the flesh so to speak. when i was a young DJ in the late 70s, the thrill of new releases.. from bands like ,THE GAP BAND, CAMEO,CONFUNKSHUN,BARKAYS,,etc...breaking open the cellophane wrapper, etc ..nothing like it....then the dawn of CDS. A lot more convenient for hauling around, but still the physical aspect of a real sound media...you can see, the artwork, picture cover sleeves etc. ITS a great testament to the record companies...like EXPANSION,BBR, SOUL MUSIC,etc...that so many classics are still being re released in CD format. It might be a generation thing, but i suspect the longevity of the music is far ahead of the throw away rubbish that passes for " pop "to day...perfectly suited for, cyberspace....Here today....gone tomorrow. LONG LIVE....real music.......Keep on truckin, guys.

Posted on 27 Oct 2012 21:39:59 BDT
This exactly what people said when CD replaced vinyl ("not real sound", "computer-generated noise", "where's the big artwork" etc) and exactly what people will say 20 years hence when some even more convenient format replaces downloading.

Besides, stuff is still physical today, it's just that its the hardware (smart phones) and not the software (vinyl/CD) that's fetishised.

Posted on 8 Nov 2012 13:43:26 GMT
MP3 is thin. About 95% of the information within the sound just isn't there. If you're happy with that, go for it.

Posted on 17 Nov 2012 09:45:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Nov 2012 09:45:31 GMT
Pete says:
When everyone boobs (as they did when they threw out the vinyl) it won't take long for CDs to become precious again, especially for the nostalgia factor. I threw out all my cassettes, including the mix tapes, and now there are cassette communities springing up on YouTube. I've got thousands of CDs and I love 'em all, as well as having vinyl and mp3s (for portability). I don't get downloads at all because it's often cheaper to buy the CD, rip it at 320 (for the Pod and PC) and then you've got the full sound for the audio system too, plus CDs can be picked up for pennies on Amazon new and used.
I'm loving all this music confusion, in fact, because it's a goldmine for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2012 16:41:39 GMT
GordonA says:
I tend to agree with the majority of your comments. I must admit that if I really like an artist I will buy the album in CD format, to me it seems much more personal to be able to see artwork and read the notes on the inner cover. However on occasion if there is/are the odd song(s) on an album I really like I am more likely to download, create a playlist and rip to CD along with other favourites. I still have a number of vinyl albums, pretty scratched so due to the poorer sound reproduction replaced some of them with CDs. The tendency to scratch was always a bug bear for me with vinyl and I haven't used my deck for a long time.

Posted on 4 Dec 2012 17:27:31 GMT
Linda Thomas says:
To me it's the music that's important. And the fact I can have access to ANY song my heart desires in mere seconds makes me a VERY happy person. I can hear a track on an advert, film or radio, like it and it's in my collection within seconds. Artwork is always available if you know where to look! And I can always have a hard copy, (in fact as many as I want as thankfully amazon have removed all DRM Restrictions. And another great plus if you are a real music lover is that it's often cheaper!!! There will always be someone that has a moan about something, me I'm just grateful that my love of music can be fed so easily, and often so cheaply. Thanks Amazon!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 07:26:16 GMT
Investigate The Marvelettes(volume 2)reissue package,4 cds,mid sixties soul music.I have the vinyl from way back but this package is excellent.Yes,sixties soul music was marvellous.

Posted on 21 Dec 2012 08:10:29 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 21 Dec 2012 08:12:34 GMT]

Posted on 22 Jun 2013 01:55:41 BDT
Roger Wolf says:
Cos I own them!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2013 15:47:37 BDT
alex duffy says:
Dear Roger. You hit the mark, mate, as a collector.....I agree 100%, the push button cyberspacers,have never experienced the delights of generations of record/cd browsers....Saturdays as a young dj, ploughing through imports in the local RECORD stores, ...HEAVEN.!!....The physical thrill has gone as shops close down, but thanks to the independant record labels, we can still have the pleasure of rereleases dropping through our letterboxes..RIGHT ON.

Posted on 13 Jul 2013 02:13:05 BDT
Mr. D says:
Yes. I only buy CDs. I have not downloaded anything and I don't intend to. If it isn't on a physical format then it just doesn't exist in my world and I'm perfectly happy with that. I want the physical CD with the booklet/cover, because I enjoy looking at my collection and I love the great sound quality of CD. I used to buy vinyl, but when CD came along I fell in love with the format and still feel the same to this day.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  24 Oct 2012
Latest post:  13 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions