Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > rhythm and blues discussion forum

obscure but great funk

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 May 2009 11:19:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2009 11:21:04 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
What long forgotten but great funk would you recommend to folk who're looking for a change from JB, P-Funk, Kool etc. Some excellent stuff I've come across quite recently which I thoroughly recommend to funk fans..
Sound Experience - The Soulville Collection. All that's available now but top quality up tempo deep horn-y and slighty rockish grooves
Rhythm Makers - Soul on Your Side. top track 'Zone' which has a cracking bass line
The Kaygees - big combo fronted by Kool's younger bro. The album to get in Keep on Bumpin & Masterplan which is like early Kool & TG
Mandrill - truly great in parts, less so in others but the Fencewalk anthology is a cracker
Ripple - not much of their stuff available but the comp I Dont Know What it Is But It Sure Is Funky is worth getting
Soul Searchers - pre Chuck Brown & the.., the one to get is Salt of the Earth.
Trouble Funk - THE go-go band. if you cant afford the Droppin Bombs anthology go for the 2008 reissue of Drop The Bomb. Party music doesnt come any better.

Posted on 21 Sep 2009 21:07:15 BDT
Try some old Bothers Johnson, Brass Construction, War (synonymous with FUNK) and if you really wind back time The Meters-A new discovery for me personally but at their funkiest they are great.
Funkadelic,Parliament,Bootsy's Rubber Band is a whole new world of funk as is Sly & Family Stone.
ENJOY and keep the F-U-N-K!

Posted on 14 Oct 2009 21:48:33 BDT
The Ohio Players ruled London funk clubs in the 70's - it doesn't come much funkier than Fire

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2009 13:48:50 GMT
Andy Edwards says:
pick up the Commodores early stuff from when they were a street funk band (like the Fatbacks, Kool etc) Machine Gun, Hot on the Tracks, and Caught in the Act have some great tracks

Posted on 9 Nov 2009 21:06:18 GMT
Mickey & the soul generation made some sweet funk, not really obscure though I s'pose. Funk, the one genre I always come back to, sweet, sweet music. Get down with your bad self.

Posted on 15 Aug 2010 21:01:19 BDT
Mike J King says:
Brass Construction. Mass Production. Muscle Shoals Horns. Ronnie Laws. Slave.

Posted on 5 Sep 2010 04:54:11 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Sep 2010 05:11:59 BDT]

Posted on 5 Sep 2010 05:11:38 BDT
The Fatback Band, The Meters, The Gaturs, Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings, Breakestra, Manzel (Space Funk is one of my favourite songs ever), Minnie Ripperton (Les Fleur is epic!), The Jones Girls, Michael Vinter's Incredible Bongo Band, Larry Graham & Graham Central Station (he invented slap-bass and was in The Family Stone - incredible stuff), The Brothers Johnson (Quincy Jones produced lots of their stuff), Slave, The Bar-Kays, Cashmere, Maceo & All The King's Men, Raydio, Rufus & Chaka Khan, Cameo, Jimmy Bo Horne, Ohio Players, the song "Party Lets Party" by Oxygen (it's my current fave jam but they don't have an album - youtube it!). So many more one-hit wonder types, so get cruising through some compilations too: the Dusty Fingers series is classic, as are The Breaks (for example: DJ Pogo presents The Breaks, Skye presents The Breaks, etc). An excellent online radio station with full tracklistings by time is www.wefunkradio.com - i've found many gems thru these cats :) Happy funkin everyone!! Woot :)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2010 16:33:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Sep 2010 16:34:47 BDT
Brass Neck says:
Not at all long forgotten, fairly obscure but PDF (pretty damn funky) old school R'n'B in a horn-laden Dap-kings style;

Kaboom by the Dynamites with Charles Walker (cheap enough on zon new & used).
I presume this offers more of the same (not bought yet but soon will be)
Burn It Down

Posted on 9 Sep 2010 02:39:32 BDT
I dunno how i possibly forgot to mention Herbie Hancock in my list?! The funkiest albums are (arguably and only imho) Thrust and Feets Don't Fail Me Now. The latter has my two fave Herbie tunes, "Ready Or Not" and "Tell Everybody". This probably has something to do with them both being played in this video, of one of the best bboys ever, Storm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxQfUKWvFdQ
No that's how you dance to some funk :P

Posted on 12 Mar 2011 16:49:31 GMT
S. Ball says:
Stargard, MFSB, early Earth Wind and Fire,

Posted on 12 Mar 2011 16:51:00 GMT
S. Ball says:
Stargard, MFSB, early Earth Wind and Fire, Undiputed Truth, and patchy Roy Ayres

Posted on 13 Mar 2011 20:29:30 GMT
K.J.S. says:
B.T.Express put out some some great records in the 1970's.

Posted on 23 Mar 2011 22:23:14 GMT
alex duffy says:
glad that the funk brotherhood, still champions the old school......the seventies through to the mid 80s...now this is the real deal...when bass was in ya FACE.THE OHIOPLAYERS..whoa sooooo tight n funky, CAMEO/CONFUNKSHUN/BARKAYS/BRASS CONSTRUCTION/WAR/MASS PRODUCTION/.....killer bass lines....and infectious non stop grooves , this was the bomb and any fan of groove ...will testifythat when dudes like STANLEY CLARKE....or LOUISJOHNSON......slammed the bass.....you knew that nothing touched those baaad muthas......AINT WE FUNKIN NOW......respect to all lovers of the funk!!!"!""

Posted on 7 Aug 2011 03:24:44 BDT
S. R. Tulip says:
I think you may be all trying to teach ND how to suck eggs.
This is the Keb Darge thing, trying to turn Funk n Jazz into Northern Soul. The problem is that, broadly speaking, the best jazz is by people like Satchmo, Duke, Prez, Miles, Mingus and Trane and the best Funk is by James, JBs, P, Isleys, War, Ohio Players, Kool, EWF, Slave, Cameo, Con Funk Shun, Fatback BAND, Commodores, GCS, Brass Construction and Brothers Johnson though I prefer the Raw Soul version of Color Blind to Maze.

Posted on 25 Aug 2011 00:08:15 BDT
JJMMWGDuPree says:
LTD
Tower of Power
The Brecker Bros. (You have to be careful, they used to alternate albums jazz, funk, jazz, funk...)
Maceo
Player's Association
Lee Ritenour - First Course (Then he went rock)
Ridin' Thumb
Whitey's Carnival of Funk
Mingo Fishtrap
The Macrosoft (Some of it's a bit far-out, kinda circling 'round George Clinton)
and maybe Carey Ziegler's Expensive Hobby, I'm still not sure if it's really funky or I just like it anyway...

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Aug 2011 19:50:12 BDT
C. DIXON says:
Check out Bandtraxs and 'Detroit (city by the river)' - digital only on Amazon, itunes etc. Some of The Funk Brothers and people like Dennis Coffey on guitar. Or even 'Don't tell your mama' by CDO, on Bandtraxs Records. This is a sort of 70's throw back but news(ish) - on Amazon etc.

Posted on 13 Sep 2011 17:25:42 BDT
Plantlife says:
Rasputin's Stash (or Rasputin Stash on their 2nd album) would fit the original post. I'm also a big fan of the Jimmy Castor Bunch: 'It's just Begun' is rightly famous, but 'King Kong' by him is a personal favourite - ridiculous and brilliant at the same time, super tight with congas and clavinets. There's a pretty good version of them playing it live on Youtube - not quite as tightly as on record, but not many bands ever are/were. Also, Sir Joe Quatermain and Free Soul '(I Got) So Much Trouble in My Mind' is a totally brilliant track, not sure what album it's from.

Posted on 13 Sep 2011 18:58:32 BDT
C. DIXON says:
Have you thought about a Philly soul track called 'Soul Recession' by DOUBLE EXPOSURE?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Feb 2012 13:53:09 GMT
Dave, Leeds says:
MFSB...Stargard, cool

Posted on 11 Feb 2012 04:57:49 GMT
How about an old Northern track " The Crow-Autumn of your tomorrow"
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rhythm and blues discussion forum (34 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  17
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  15 May 2009
Latest post:  11 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions