Customer Discussions > rhythm and blues discussion forum

great funk and soul basslines

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 87 posts in this discussion
Posted on 28 Jan 2010 23:16:38 GMT
alicanteman says:
Barely Breaking Even - Universal Robot Band (a Leroy Burgess connection and check any track by that guy for a baseline)
Bet Your Lucky Star - Jean Carne is classic Philadelphia International Records orchestration with a killer base

Posted on 29 Jan 2010 01:20:40 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 9 Mar 2010 19:34:37 GMT]

Posted on 29 Jan 2010 23:10:51 GMT
James Jamerson is well worth checking out, as are Rocco Prestia and Micheal Henderson.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2010 13:03:09 GMT
Mr. I. Meek says:
Defo have to agree with "Chic's" Bernard. He is quite simply staggeringly awesome. Good Times bass is the main hook in rappers delight from what i recall...

Completely unrelated genre (and not much of a showcase for bass) but can't help mention Free's bassist (andy fraser i think?) - also superlative.

Posted on 1 Feb 2010 10:06:52 GMT
Rusty Kettle says:
Surprised no mention of George Porter the funkiest bass player ever! His playing on The Meters Cissy Strut & Just Kissed My Baby is the reason they are soooooooo funky!! From New Orleans to Detroit and the legendary James Jamerson just cannot be beaten, funk and melody combined - the bass on Reach Out by The Four Tops was a symphony on its own!

If we stray into the rock world then The Who's John Entwhistle was in a class of his own - watch videos of their live concerts, he was the reason that just three musicians could make such a staggering noise on stage, he was the Bach of bass playing.

Posted on 1 Feb 2010 14:51:19 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Feb 2010 19:58:40 GMT]

Posted on 1 Feb 2010 21:52:43 GMT
R. Newman says:
I can't believe nobodys mentioned Chameleon by Herbie Hancocks Headhunters, or Stevie Wonder- I Wish

Posted on 18 Feb 2010 21:12:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2010 21:14:37 GMT
Unlimited Touch - I hear music ...works for me as dose a lot of the prelude stuff :) or there is a bass break from Mutual attraction by change that's the dogs !!

Posted on 21 Feb 2010 08:16:34 GMT
M. R. Smith says:
What about "Put your money where your mouth is" by Rose Royce, "Tear the roof the Sucker", Parliament, "I Wish", Stevie Wonder and not forgetting several tunes by Mark "Thunderthumbs" King from Level 42.

Posted on 21 Feb 2010 21:48:46 GMT
Boogie Oogie Oogie
Thrill is Gone
Work to Do (Isleys)
Dancing in the Moonlight (Thin Lizzy)
Light my Fire (Rhetta Hughes)
Express yourself (103rd St. Watts Band)
Firecracker
Mother Popcorn
Papa's Got a Brand New Bag
Cold Sweat
Under the Boardwalk (Drifters)
Paperbackwriter (Beatles)

Posted on 22 Feb 2010 15:05:05 GMT
James Jamerson on Jr. Walker's "I'm a Roadrunner"
Larry Graham on Sly Stone's "If You Want Me to Stay"
Charlie Haden on Alice Coltrane's "Journey in Satchidinanda"

Keeler Deeler! Massive funk. Away!!!!!!!!!

Posted on 5 Mar 2010 23:09:12 GMT
Wow! All great choices. how about Pusherman, Curtis
Mayfield - so much space, yet sooo funky. And Bonin' in the Boneyard - Fishbone.
With you on I Wish. How about Use Me (Bill Withers)? Especially the
live at Carnegie Hall version. Good thread, Nuge.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2010 13:01:43 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 9 Mar 2010 19:34:19 GMT]

Posted on 25 Apr 2010 16:06:21 BDT
TEN CITY says:
jazz track sung by Howard Hewitt(ex Shalamar )bass played by Stanley Clarke during mid 1980s

Posted on 25 Apr 2010 23:27:27 BDT
Kleeer - Open Your Mind

Posted on 26 Apr 2010 12:57:03 BDT
Nugent Dirt says:
Underrated IMO, Richard Finch bassman and co-writer of KC and the Sunshine band came up with some tasty lines on many great tunes
One very overlooked funk bass dude is Buddy Hankerson ex of Slave, Young and Co, Aurra and Steve Arrington's Hall of Fame. Too many tasty lines to name but check him out on You Tube. Right up there with Larry Graham, Louis Johnson and Staley Clarke in the old slap n pop department.

Posted on 28 Apr 2010 18:25:49 BDT
Ken Grix says:
EARTHQUAKE, Graham Central Station
Just Kissed My Baby, The Meters
Shakey Ground, The Temptations..... They all blast me away!

Posted on 5 May 2010 11:48:02 BDT
funk-meister says:
ohhhh funk this is too hard to narrow down without leaving something nasty and tasty out...
off the top of head...
cholly (funk gets ready to roll) - funkadelic
stuffs and thangs - funkadelic
running away - roy ayers
the motor booty affair - parliament
together - parliament
woo together - bernie worrell
stretchin' out - bootsy's rubber band
the jam - graham central station
luv n haight - sly and the family stone
thankyou fallentinme be mice elf - sly and the family stone
high on you - sly stone (agree with above but I'm sure it's not Larry here -might be Rusty Allen??)
Skin Tight - Ohio Players
Message from the meters - The Meters
agree with expansions - lonnie liston smith + revolution - gil scott heron
etc............................................

Posted on 5 May 2010 21:11:53 BDT
Nobody mentioned Norman Watt-Roy yet? Two words: Rhythm Stick.

Posted on 22 Jun 2010 00:14:04 BDT
alex duffy says:
wow, been a soulman for over 35 years, and still love the funk bass . for new kids on the block, check out the golden age of funk , ie 1973/1985 when bands like ltd cameo barkays confunkshun . the bass playing from stanley clarke; nathen east ;louis johnson, was sublime. test your bass bins with we supply to see exactly what i mean. when i was dj ing in the 80s the track that bounced the walls was from instant funk; dont you forget about me/ was a barnstormer, ms fine brown frame by syl johnson was another funky track that got em boppin. we love the funk so dont accept anything less, bass in your face guys.

Posted on 22 Jun 2010 13:22:48 BDT
I have but two words for this thread: Southern Freeez

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2010 11:49:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Jun 2010 11:54:08 BDT
gotta add
lowrell - mellow mellow
bunny mack - let me love you

chuck rainey on hunt up wind -hiroshi fukumara...awesome bass!

bliss, got to go play some vinyl!!!

Posted on 2 Jul 2010 23:18:10 BDT
Lord Loocan says:
Anything by "The Master" - James Jamerson Jnr. but close second Duck Dunn on Eddie Floyd's Bring it on home to me.

Posted on 10 Jul 2010 09:18:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jul 2010 09:22:53 BDT
ArchStanton says:
I'm with the Liquidator 100% on Southern Freeez

Thing is, on some records, the bassline starts the tracks up, then builds the expectation and climax, carrying it like a rollercoaster. Expansion and Running Away are prime examples.

And for sheer up-and-down-the-neck exuberance, Mother of the Future by Norman Connors
And for the total joy of it, Donald Byrd 'Dominoes' (Live version mind you, from eg StreetSounds Anthems 1)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2010 11:47:22 BDT
alex duffy says:
yo ten city, you mean heaven sent / which it is, avoice from heaven in howards vocals. stanley clarke makes the bass talk, and together they create a wonderful track. i salute your taste / one of my all time faves.......sublime music from two wonderful artists. steve quirk on jazz fm rates this one of his all time top tunes ...praise indeed from such a well respected dj. bass in yo face bro, keep on truckin.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rhythm and blues discussion forum (34 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  61
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  6 Mar 2009
Latest post:  26 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions