Customer Discussions > rhythm and blues discussion forum

great funk and soul basslines

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Mar 2009 13:11:54 GMT
Nugent Dirt says:
Well Ive tried posting on the topic of funk on the Music forum with limited responses so maybe I'll be luckier on this one which I didnt even know existed till I came across it by chance. Anyway I recently got the remastered Ship Ahoy by the O Jays and have been caning the 7 minute+ version of For The Love of Money to death. That bass line of Anthony Jackson's has to be one of the top 10 funk/soul bass moments hasnt it? Other contenders I d say are
Inner city blues - Bob Babbitt and not James Jamerson
Sir Duke - Nathan Watts here
Bernadette and Reflections - JJ
High on you by Sly Stone - not sure if Larry Graham was on this
Thank you for lettin me be mice elf again - Larry G this time though
Ride on by Parliament - Bootsy on top bubbly bass form
Others?

Posted on 22 Mar 2009 13:03:19 GMT
paul24 says:
how about marcus miller on luthers early albums check out she loves me back from forever for always for love real top draw bass playing from one of if not the best bassists out there

Posted on 29 Mar 2009 21:39:05 BDT
A. Smith says:
William Allen, who worked with Roy Ayers on most of his tracks was a master bass player. His basslines on many of these are just right up there.
But my favourite bass player is Bernard Edwards from Chic. On all of their major hits, the bass playing is just superb. People will still be grooving to Chic songs on 100 years time because of those bass riffs. He is probably the most sampled bass player of all time too. Thousands of underground house music records have used his bass lines an continue to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2009 22:45:00 BDT
S. Nicol says:
My favourite funky bassline of all time is the barnstorming 'Givin it (to you)' by Skyy, sheer bliss.

Posted on 31 Mar 2009 17:51:07 BDT
paul24 says:
check out slide from the band slave or rick james on taste from the album deeper still or back in love again ltd or freddie washington on forget me nots the list is endless but to really savour the bass listen to it on pmc speakers awesome

Posted on 8 Apr 2009 15:41:19 BDT
ernie167 says:
Nah! You are ALL wrong. Nile Rodgers of Chic. Nuff said!

Posted on 8 Apr 2009 15:43:49 BDT
ernie167 says:
I'm a twit! I meant Bernard Edwards. Doh!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2009 15:59:56 BDT
Great bass lines? Hmmmmmm.What about the Temps. - Papa Was A Rolling Stone (truly great). Lonnie Liston Smith-Expansions, George Duke-Brazilian Love Affair, Lowrell-Mellow,Mellow,Right On.We Supply-Stanley Clarke, All pretty funky but my favourite is probably Galaxy by War-It's Outta sight!!!!!!.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2009 15:42:30 BDT
paul24 says:
yeah my man james jamerson at his best jeez im goin up in my loft to dig it out havnt heard it in ages

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2009 14:50:50 BDT
Soulman55 says:
there are so many, but you gotta go back to the roots for the best

Do It Fluid - The Blackbyrds
Doin' It To Death - The JB's
Sex Machine - Bootsy for James Brown
Family Affair - Sly (anything off the Riot...album really, that's Larry Graham right?)

Favourite later ones
Galaxay - War
Stop the Rain - Average White Band

Posted on 20 Apr 2009 20:43:33 BDT
R. A. Dawe says:
KEZIAH JONES ANY ONE

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Apr 2009 21:32:27 BDT
Bass is the root of all soulful music: Family Affair. Everybody is a Star. Rain, Paperback Writer. Thrill is Gone (Gerry Gemmot). Jaco Pastorious with Weather Report. Jimmy Lewis on many funky Presteige jazz recordings. Thom Bell's Philadelphia orchestra's bass player, e.g., For the Love of Money. Hamish Stuart and Alan Gorrie alternating bass parts with AWB. Rocky Prestia with Tower of Power. Jaaaaaammmmmmeeeessss BBBBBrrrroooowwwwnnnnnnn! This list just scratches the surface.

Posted on 9 May 2009 15:25:58 BDT
Simon says:
It's the heartbeat of soul music. Off the top of my head, how about BROTHER GREEN by Roy Ayers, STRATEGY by Archie Bell & The Drells, MY HEART'S DESIRE by Don Blackman, SWEET POWER YOUR EMBRACE by James Mason, ASHLEY'S ROACHCLIP by Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers, LET NO MAN PUT ASSUNDER by First Choice, MAKE IT LAST FOREVER by Inner Life, DAYLIGHT by Ramp or (more up to date) HONEY by Erykah Badu. And I love that squelchy techno bass in stuff like HEROES by Daft Punk and BASSLINE by Mantronix! Oh, and Miami Bass has it going on as in TROW THE D by 2 Live Crew. Not sure where the sample came from but OPEN YOUR EYES by Organized Konfusion has got a killer bass line too.

Posted on 23 May 2009 16:14:02 BDT
TEN CITY says:
what about the bassline on Turn off the lights by Larry Young(Fuel album ) not sure who the bassist was though .

Posted on 28 May 2009 23:12:30 BDT
How about Heavy Love Affair - Marvin Gaye...

Posted on 29 May 2009 10:55:57 BDT
Check out "Clouds" off the Chaka Khan "Naughty" album - Anthony Jackson even better here than "For The Love of Money" (imho)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2009 23:43:18 BDT
Doc Benway says:
"Flashlight" by Parliament is the wobbly business.

Posted on 14 Oct 2009 21:52:48 BDT
Sylvia Striplin - I Can't Turn You Away - produced by Roy Ayers has a classic bassline which has been sampled many times.

Posted on 17 Oct 2009 11:31:11 BDT
Adam Jackson says:
Interesting thread - I have one although I confess it's not the original - RHCP's cover of Stevie Wonder's Higher Ground.

Man,that's a hard motherfunker...

Posted on 20 Oct 2009 02:25:22 BDT
J. C. Lott says:
forget me knots - patrice rushen
Im on my way - Aurra
stomp - Brothers johnson
The list is endless!!!!!!!!!

Posted on 20 Oct 2009 07:08:42 BDT
My favorite bassist is Bernard Edwards but the bassline during the intro and break on Curtis Mayfield's "Freddie's Dead" is one of my all-time favorites.

Posted on 22 Oct 2009 12:52:14 BDT
O. Carryl says:
Glide - Pleasure...Nuff said

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2009 17:21:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Oct 2009 17:22:34 BDT
CJ Mann says:
Oh God, funk bass - the very breath of life for me...

1 - Streetwave - Brothers Johnson (Louis Johnson)
2 - Roll with the Punches - Patrice Rushen (Charlie Meeks)
3 - Magnetic Ocean - Incognito (Randy Hope-Taylor)
4 - Brazilan Love Affair - George Duke (Byron Miller)
5 - 6 AM - George Duke (Larry Kimpel)

I could be here all night... and yeah Nathaniel Phillips totally kicks on that Pleasure track!!!

Posted on 9 Nov 2009 21:10:31 GMT
Engine number 9 - Wilson pickett version
The revolution will not be televised - Gil Scott Heron
Any Rufus Thomas track.
Most Cymande tracks

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Nov 2009 21:49:15 GMT
Glide by Pleasure
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the rhythm and blues discussion forum (34 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  61
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  6 Mar 2009
Latest post:  26 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions