Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

would we be in the mess we are in now if the unions regained the power they had before thatcher

Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on 8 May 2013 17:03:43 BDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 May 2013 14:25:48 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 3 May 2013 18:10:34 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:24:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 May 2013 16:24:25 BDT
Bellatori says:
RIghtwinger - it would be worse
Leftwinger - it would be better
Centre - some would be better and some would be worse

Goodness only knows how the goalie would feel but that covers the whole pitch!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 16:50:10 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 3 May 2013 18:10:48 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 17:33:12 BDT
C. A. Small says:
We would be up a certain creek with the paddle firmly stuck up the rear orifice.

Posted on 3 May 2013 17:50:28 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 3 May 2013 18:10:58 BDT]

Posted on 3 May 2013 20:19:20 BDT
John says:
No, we would be in a different mess or maybe even a much better place than we are now. The unions wanted the best for the workers and Thatcher wanted the best for the Globalist Capitalist Banker classes of today and to be able to crush and divide the working classes against themselves. Her main target was to destroy the power and consolidation of the unions and to privatise publicly owned utilities like Water, Gas, Electric etc She would have privatised the air we breath if she could have done so.
I'm not saying the unions were incorruptible, but in general they wanted the best for the workers and offered a degree of protection for their member's against rampant capitalism and unfair dismissals amongst many other benefits we have since lost.
Like a lot of the past, trade unionism is hardly ever mentioned anymore, if you were to ask a newly qualified graduate in their early 20's about Trade Unions, they probably wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about, or they wouldn't understand why they are necessary to protect the workers from total exploitation by their employers.
I think I will delete this post in an hour or so, like those above me have done out of righteous paranoia.

Posted on 3 May 2013 20:24:06 BDT
Spin says:
It is the promises of politics and religion that create conflict in this world. The only reasoning you can trust to ensure the welfare of yourself, your loved ones and your collegues is your own.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 20:33:38 BDT
John says:
I tend to agree with you, but what happens to those who are less fortunate in life due to ill health, lack of education/indoctrination or whatever reason that keeps them at the poverty line?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 20:36:00 BDT
Bellatori says:
They can get religion, know that God loves them and die in abject poverty and misery but still be grateful to that nurturing all powerful deity... or not!?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 20:41:34 BDT
Spin says:
John; I disagree. I blame "education" and "indoctrination", not their lack, for the conflicts between mind and behaviour, individual and society etc. Independent thought is derided in any society dependent on the ideal of "Community".

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 20:42:22 BDT
Stu says:
john i created this discussion and i also deleted my posts,because it was intended for the politics forum not religion and i cant change it now ok

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 21:01:08 BDT
richard says:
the unions may have wanted the best for their workers although i remain sceptical that it wasn't a political movement from the beginning seeking to manipulate the workforce to create political power through economic pressure via strikes or the threat of. there is no doubt in my mind that the manual worker was being exploited by owners of industry but i suspect unions were also seeking to exploit the worker! were we looking at the lesser of two evils? maybe but no government was going to put up with economic blackmail for ever and the series of strikes eventually proved too much for the country and the worker lost out in the end anyway.

Posted on 3 May 2013 21:08:03 BDT
Spin says:
A "Union" is no more than a minority "government".

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 21:09:59 BDT
John says:
OK stu, I didn't know it was for the politics forum, and as I haven't been in a political discussion with anyone for ages I am failing to get my point across. I am not against "Independent thought" or action, neither do I believe we all need to live in a herd like community, also I don't particularly like the idea of "survival of the fittest" so there are plenty of ambiguities in my beliefs. I actually think the "Politics" we are served today are all basically the same ie Pro Capitalism V's the poor or those on the minimum wage, which really is 'minimum' in fact for the same job in 1990 I would be earning more than I would today even with the minimum wage, so wages haven't gone up for the majority of people, but the cost of living has.
I would also say that Educational standards have fallen and this has been done on purpose, to create a nation that hasn't got the adequate tools to deal with life in general - Dumbed down and divided

Posted on 3 May 2013 21:14:34 BDT
Spin says:
Politics, Religion...What's the difference? A bunch of conditioned slaves telling me what is right and what is wrong without any consideration of their own actions...

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 21:35:08 BDT
John says:
"Psychopaths Rule Our World 6% of the worlds population are born genetic psychopaths. Do you know what that means for the rest of us?" from sott.net I don't know if this statement is true and even if it is what would it entail. I think slavery touches all of us, even the upper echelons are enslaved to ensure they co-operate.

Posted on 3 May 2013 21:36:57 BDT
S Cook says:
In turd, out turd, interred.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 May 2013 21:39:22 BDT
Bellatori says:
I saw an interesting program about this. A psychopath is more likely to reach a senionr position because they are able to tell people what they want to hear (lie!). The net result is that the percentage of psychopaths in senior managerial positions is much greater than those in the public at large (x4 I think!). The other finding was that they are actually no better as managers than a 'normal' person and in crisis may be worse!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  3 May 2013
Latest post:  3 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions