Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Tom Daley. Ho do people get away with makin such false, defamatory and offensive remarks as this?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Dec 2013 11:19:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Dec 2013 11:20:21 GMT
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/uk-evangelist-says-tom-daley-is-gay-because-his-father-died-9013365.html

Sorry about the typos. iPhone.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 11:27:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Dec 2013 11:28:52 GMT
Drew Jones says:
You get away with it if you blame religion for making you think and say these things. 'Tom' has been saying the exact same thing now with his Denmark study for years.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 12:20:54 GMT
Do you know I was na´ve enough to believe that it was only unbelievably inept clowns like Tom who actually believed such nonsense, not people who actually have an official role in the Church and presumably an education. The woman is actually a barrister!

It is quite frightening,

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 12:26:28 GMT
Drew Jones says:
She set up the Christian Legal Centre so that she could push for these sort of ideas to be law. I'm not aware of them winning any cases they have brought but they are good at publicising their cases and distorting the facts that go with them (i.e. the Bull's B&B case) which I think maybe just as much their objective.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 13:22:00 GMT
Mrs. F. Shaw says:
She looks frightening with that glazed over look in her eyes of the true zealot. Non-thinking automatons.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 13:30:35 GMT
It is a rather scary photo.

Let me see if I have missed any of the logic here: His father dies of cancer, which means that it was no one's fault, or God's will. This death, presumably by depriving Tom of a father, was the cause of his becoming homosexual. God will of course have known this, so it must be part of His plan.

So what's the problem?

(Apart from the obvious fact that there is no evidence for this and it is a very hurtful and offensive thing to say about someone).

Posted on 21 Dec 2013 14:44:25 GMT
Norm Deplume says:
My father dies 10 years ago. According to the hypothesis proposed by this ignorant bigot have I been gay for a decade without knowing it?

I am now speculating what sort of generalisations I could make about Christian homophobes working from a sample size of one.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 15:12:14 GMT
We could say that they are homophobes because they are really repressed homosexuals who channel their libidinal energy into sadistic attacks on those who don't suffer such repression?

Sounds plausible and I bet I could find a Denmark study :<]

Posted on 21 Dec 2013 16:52:48 GMT
The danger is that the article is reporting on what what was no allegedly said, not what was actually said and out of context some of the comments might have very different readings.

Posted on 21 Dec 2013 17:02:39 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 21 Dec 2013 17:40:02 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 17:23:41 GMT
Hi Mr Burchell,

What was actually said?

Posted on 21 Dec 2013 17:25:34 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 21 Dec 2013 17:47:09 GMT]

Posted on 21 Dec 2013 17:28:15 GMT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 21 Dec 2013 17:36:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Dec 2013 17:53:20 GMT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2013 00:27:21 GMT
No idea and I suspect that what was said was probably inflammatory, but the article clearly doesn't actually know what was said, therefore it would be wiser to find out actually what was said, not what might have been said.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2013 07:16:38 GMT
Hi Mr Burchell,

If it were possible to find out I certainly would. But however the claim was made it is asinine and offensive. If it seriously misrepresents her views then she certainly ought to say so. But I don't believe, on the basis of the kind if things characteristic of her views, that it does.

I certainly take your point, but it seems that this is what she was saying. She doesn't deny it and even the Church condemns it. Whatever the context and whatever the exact formulation of the claim it is false and, as you say, inflammatory.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  21 Dec 2013
Latest post:  22 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions