Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Do They Understand

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Mar 2014 14:37:52 GMT
Heretic says:
There is one kind of Christianity that never spoken about. This is the one where Christians see that the heart of God is broken because his children "Adam and Eve" chose the fruit of "the tree of the Fruit of the Knowledge of Good and Evil" rather than to live within his will and grow into his children. Mature children that would pass on through the generations his will and his Kingdom in their hearts. These children would not of needed a messiah because they would not of fallen.

It could be that this broken hearted God has worked tirelessly through the generations to establish the condition where a symbolic foundation could be made to start the restoration of mankind and at various levels through Noah, Abraham, Issac, Jacob eventually to Moses and through the history of the Jewish people up to the life of Jesus.

Jesus represents symbolically a rebirth of the ideal that Adam was meant to fulfil. Jesus would of established The Kingdom of God On Earth if the Jewish people had embraced him but instead for the sake of fear and a few other excuses. As a consequence of this betrayal by the Jewish people of God's anointed one the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth could not be established, but there was enough of a foundation for God's Kingdom to be established spiritually and for God to continue working with mankind but instead of through the Jewish people he elected to work through those that accepted and relied on Jesus as the foundation of their lives.

Parallels have been drawn between events in Jewish and Christian histories and significant events.

I don't have time to check the reliability of the owners of the site but
I have come across these ideas before http://www.puritans.net/news/parallelhistories022403.htm among other places I saw the essentials of Jewish / Christian parallel histories on a wall chart/poster in the office of a Catholic Priest.
What comes out to me from the Bible account of the Jewish people and early Christian history is how hard and how desperately God worked for man's salvation and how that was don done primarily through the lives of significant people in a specific genealogy first of physically through the Jewish people and then spiritually through the Christians. This work has been tireless on the part of God but patchy on the part of those few significant men, men that everybody else needed to catch the coat-tails of.

The Jews still look for their Messiah, the Christians seek the return of theirs and Islam (which could be perceived as a successful attempt to bring the idol worshipping Bedouins into the monotheistic fold) are expecting a figure to come at some unspecified time in the future to wrap up history to some kind of conclusion [not dissimilar to Revelations and Jewish End time prophesies].

That was a very brief synopsis of monotheism but the striking thing is the effort of God and a tiny number of others. What gratitude does God get for this? From many people a false sense of gratitude and a shopping list, if I was God I might feel tempted to tell these where to go so it's just as well I'm not God.

Where is the understanding of this parents broken heart, his patience, who can even imagine God crying each time one of us hurts him by, who can imagine wiping the tears of God and promising with every fibre in his existence that he will not hurt him again, who tries to undo all the harm they've done. I have seen this but not in a religious context. I have seen it when a repentant son asks his father for forgiveness, and seen the promise of good behaviour kept. Where it is not seen is in church, it is not seen in the prayers of Christians or in their hearts enacted (in their lives in other words).

[I will post this on two sites so if you happen to post on both then please forgive me but I have been thinking of this for a while].

Heretic

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2014 09:58:22 GMT
Acts5v29 says:
There is a notion of this in the scriptures - it is the parable of the Prodigal Son, who asks for his inheritance before it is due. That young man was treating his parents as already dead - their only value in what they would leave to him - and would not see them again. It was only when calamity struck that he returned to his father - who welcomed him before he even reached the house.

God is indeed heartbroken - see the last paragraph of "Conveyor Belt" at http://www.worshipjehovah.org/2014/02/24 - but that will come to an end when the Prodigal Son Mankind returns.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2014 12:40:33 GMT
Acts5v29 says: "...the Prodigal Son..."

There is a not so subtle difference between the father of the Prodigal and the supposed 'Father of Mankind'. The former was a human with human weaknesses and attributes whereas the latter is supposedly an omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient and beneficent invisible being. The former could only wait in hope unable to influence anything whereas the latter can, apparently, do anything. It is notable that the latter, were it able, has chosen to do nothing...

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2014 15:20:25 GMT
Ronald Craig says:
(Surely "do nothing" is a bit excessive? He has shown an amazing ability to pout and bear a grudge, no?)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2014 19:27:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Mar 2014 19:28:02 GMT
But only in OT times... since then .... NADA

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2014 23:03:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Mar 2014 23:03:54 GMT
God says:
We are His children? I thought only fundamentalists didn't believe in evolution. (Not sure where you're going with this, H.)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2014 23:15:31 GMT
richard says:
Can't say as i have much time for this idea. it looks like a very immature bit of parenting! children grow and develop partly, if not mostly, on the mistakes they make. it's all part of the growing/developing experience that is life. what parents have to do is 'get over it' the disappointments when children don't do exactly as we'd wish them to and try to be better parents ourselves to help our children more. bad parents are the ones that blame their children and punish them for their mistakes.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2014 00:45:12 GMT
Ronald Craig says:
"bad parents are the ones that blame their children and punish them for their mistakes."

Nice.

I stopped worrying about what worries Yahweh the day I realized I am far more moral than he could ever be.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2014 08:12:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Mar 2014 09:10:56 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2014 11:33:48 GMT
richard says:
Scriptural quotes ------ yes. god quotes ---------- ?

the bible is full of what people thought. that does not give it divine weight. not even contemporary empathy.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2014 11:41:13 GMT
Acts5v29 says:
Not quite - Jesus' illustration of the Prodigal Son represented the situation well. Those who choose to look know that the first prophecy stated that Mankind would reach the stage where it could not survive without Him. God has not intervened, but is waiting for Mankind - the real Prodigal Son - to realise it needs help and to call to Him, and the Father will rush to catch us before we fall, just as in the illustration. This issue - not Israel nor Salvation nor Christianity - is the entire theme of our existence: learning that we need help in order to survive.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2014 12:58:44 GMT
Ronald Craig says:
Oh, goodness, Bunny! Have I misled you into thinking I care?! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2014 14:54:59 GMT
Leviticus 25:44-46 ESV
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:20-21 ESV
"When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Ripping off parts of a moral code from the bronze age is fraught with dangers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  2 Mar 2014
Latest post:  4 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions