Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

so the royals can marry a catholic and not lose the throne

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 106 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Dec 2012 22:12:34 GMT
athanasius says:
Well I wont be holding my breath......but it's about time too.What's the betting it will never happen!!!

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 05:17:33 GMT
Tom M says:
How about losing the throne? Or perhaps just misplacing it...? Actually I kinda like a world with queens and historical ties etc, but one really has to wonder about its staying power as the centuries unfold. .. God bless the Queen.

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 05:55:35 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 05:57:52 GMT
athanasius says:
You know Tom...my granny used to say she was anti monarchy as there was only one queen..The Queen of Heaven...Our Lady and I agree with her. No harm to lizzie but the rest of her brood should stop freeloading get a job and stop living off all of us..we struggle and they bask in the comfort of our taxes.Not on nowadaya

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 08:02:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 08:03:21 GMT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 08:09:50 GMT
Ian says:
The law has always said that the heir to the throne cannot marry a catholic. No ban on marrying muslims, hindus, zoroastrians or atheists. Seems like an abuse of human rights to me, but like Tom and Athanasius I'd rather see the Royals abolished ; then they could marry who they liked (at their own expense).

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 08:44:00 GMT
They can't marry a Roman Catholic.

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 08:45:35 GMT
Spin says:
Indeed. God forbid the leaders of the English Church should have anything to do with religion! =)

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 21:14:47 GMT
Still seems a silly and pointless rule to me. Let the Royals marry whoever the hell they feel like.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 21:43:44 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Dec 2012 22:08:20 GMT
Bogus Pomp says:
Well, it is a pointless rule... in this day and age. But a few centuries ago Catholics were viewed with extreme suspicion by the majority of people (Protestants of one form or another) in (what was to become) Great Britain!

In the year 1688, the Catholic King James II & VII was deposed and replaced with his nephew, the Protestant (and Dutch) William III, simply because he was a Catholic. Of course, Protestants and Catholics generally live in peace these days (Northern Ireland being an exception), so such a law makes no sense. It sure took them long enough to realise it though!

Monarchy should be abolished, anyway!

Posted on 5 Dec 2012 22:18:50 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 22:23:23 GMT
Bogus Pomp says:
Oh. In that case I apologise for wasting your time! Someone else may well find my post educational though, so all is not lost. I've always been fascinated by history. Do you have a particular favourite historical era or figure?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 23:14:55 GMT
Ian says:
I've got an A level in physics - it just makes me aware of how much physics I don't understand.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 23:25:50 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Dec 2012 23:27:44 GMT]

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 11:50:17 GMT
"I've got an A level in physics - it just makes me aware of how much physics I don't understand."

This is just a fantastic quote.... :)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2012 12:24:10 GMT
C. A. Small says:
Imagine how I feel, I haven't even got an A level in physics!!

Posted on 6 Dec 2012 19:00:03 GMT
Several favourites: Renaissance Italy, the Victorians and WW II perhaps foremost.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 13:15:31 GMT
Dan Fante says:
I actually studied that period for A-Level. William of Orange was also married to his first cousin, Mary who also just happened to be James II's daughter. So she deposed her own father. They're a funny lot, aren't they?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 15:13:33 GMT
Tom M says:

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 15:28:55 GMT
Tom M says:

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 15:44:42 GMT
Tom M says:

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 19:22:11 GMT
I think the royal family do a great job and are excellent value for money. After all, you can get a celeb telling you to use this shampoo 'because I'm worth 10 million pounds a year', when they haven't so much as opened the bottle to have a sniff. Or you can buy your marmalade knowing that royalty uses the same thing.

Don't keep a dog and bark yourself, I say. If they want to read history books all day, make use of their knowledge.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 19:28:59 GMT
Actually, I've been using homeopathic Aconite, which is derived from a deadly poison used with devastating results during the Burmese war (according to Neal's Yard Remedies' book), and is also called Wolf's Bane. I've used it for a bad bout of flu/cold I had recently, but also because my family on my father's side has a coat of arms, supposedly, depicting three wolves. One of my distant ancestors must have saved the village from attack from wolves, or perhaps saved the monarch from attack from wolves, and got awarded the crest. Sorry, more of my nonsense, la-di-da-di-da.

Posted on 7 Dec 2012 19:30:09 GMT
I should make it clear I've been using the Aconite on myself, not on wolves, and most people on this website will say it's just a sugar pill anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 20:37:53 GMT
Correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZiLsFaEzog

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 21:20:21 GMT
I'm completely lost as to what this has got to do with vaccinations. I was very pleased to have my two given the MMR, as both my aunt and my brother had had bad complications from measles.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa9896fa4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  4 Dec 2012
Latest post:  12 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions