Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

The People from the Dark Ages Continue to Think they are Outside the Law

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-162 of 162 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2012 11:21:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2012 11:23:16 GMT
As a Christian, I don't hate people who live a gay lifestyle. I am perfectly capable of distinguishing between behavior and attitudes I don't like and the value of a person which is infinite. It is very easy and reactionist to go straight for 'they hate my identify' ploy which avoids the issue that I have the right to not like homosexual behaviour. I don't like it. Just as you don't like a variety of behaviours that you think are wrong. Why is it so terrible to have an opinion you don't like? You can scream 'hater' and 'homophobe' but I am not. And bringing the 'law' in is a cheap shot. Homosexuality used to be a crime by the 'law' so elevating the law above the scriptures is an act of convenience, not a true conviction. Look, us Christians often make an appalling show of representing Christ, really we do. But take a look at Christ Himself and you'll see the true light of someone worthy of following.

If you want to see the dark ages, look at the world without Christ.

Kind regards

Doug Cartwright

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2012 12:35:49 GMT
G. Heron says:
Mr D, Cartwright

"I have the right to not like homosexual behaviour. "
Yes you do and I for one would not wish to take that right away from you, that is a quick road to the thought police.

"Homosexuality used to be a crime by the 'law' so elevating the law above the scriptures is an act of convenience"

The reason that the law is superior to scripture is that law can be changed. Slavery was once legal in this country (in fact was a big earner for this country) but we have advanced as a society and the law has been changed, the same is true for homosexuality.

"But take a look at Christ Himself and you'll see the true light of someone worthy of following."
Did Jesus condem homosexuality?

Posted on 14 Mar 2012 12:43:36 GMT
"But take a look at Christ Himself and you'll see the true light of someone worthy of following." Did Jesus "condem homosexuality?"

Question time, Jesus and Jeremy paxman, now thats the way to get everything ironed out and sorted.
That's the sort of telly we all need to see.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2012 12:45:15 GMT
Jim Guest says:
Roasted Paxo.

Posted on 17 Jun 2012 15:26:58 BDT
Whisper says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 10:26:55 BDT
Isobel Ayres says:
Exactly. They were called the dark ages because we knew little about them at the time, not because they were deemed dark/horrible.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 11:07:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2012 11:50:30 BDT
i thought they were called the dark ages because before they began mankind in the middle east had developed great civilisations culminating in the Greek and then Roman empires. when the Roman empire finally collapsed in the west Europe was once again fragmented with possibly the only common 'establishment' being the Catholic church who's clerics still promoted reading, writing and study although not keen on pagan works.

so we (in the west) went from enlightenment into a dark age where so much 'civilisation' in Europe was 'lost' or hidden away in monasteries and various groups were free to fight for land, power or just raiding for profit until once again kingdoms arose that could provide stability again across large areas.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 11:12:11 BDT
" Did Jesus "condem homosexuality?"

Have you read the secret gospel of Mark?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 11:33:59 BDT
Isobel Ayres says:
Having investigated, it appears that that was originally the case, but scholars now prefer not to use the term (deeming it inaccurate) and, if it is used, it only ever refers to the Early Middle Ages. Wikipedia (that bastion of all knowledge ;)) says:

"On the rare occasions when the term "Dark Ages" is used by historians today, it is intended to be neutral, namely, to express the idea that the events of the period often seem "dark" because of the scarcity of artistic and cultural output,[14] including historical records, when compared with both earlier and later times.[10]"

Which is the understanding that I left University with (having spent some time studying mediaeval literature).

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 11:50:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2012 11:58:01 BDT
Isobel,

yes the dark ages were not quite as dark as we once thought them to be and really only applying to Europe as far as i can figure. i think also from about 6th/7th century to 10th/11th CE so only a few hundred years or so really. but of course the Muslim invasions meant that they were exposed to the 'classics' so able to pick up and generate artistic and cultural output as Europe declined.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 11:54:09 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Isobel, my chum ( history phd) usually gets apoplectic when people use the term "dark ages", even more so than when I refer to his sinle malt whiskys as "that scottish muck".

Both always good for a laugh!

Posted on 25 Mar 2014 12:37:58 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Mar 2014 12:38:09 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the religion discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
154 12 Aug 2015
Is President Trump right. Should we ban all Muslims and start deporting them in large amounts until they can prove they can accept civillisation and modern practices. I'm sure we all like history but the dark ages were the dark ages. 285 14 minutes ago
Does Christianity make any sense? 416 16 minutes ago
you should all..... 5 24 minutes ago
Evolution is a scientifically provable fact. 3383 37 minutes ago
Gay habits and God. Smokers and the devil. 56 47 minutes ago
Remain or Leave? 558 2 hours ago
Morality and ethics. 381 10 hours ago
goblueresurrection is an atheist, slumming it. 22 12 hours ago
The Power of Prayer. 2005 15 hours ago
I thank all the imaginary gods for Jihadists. 157 1 day ago
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests showing parental neglect causes homosexuality 883 1 day ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  162
Initial post:  4 Mar 2012
Latest post:  25 Mar 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions