Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Will curiosity find life on Mars??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 693 posts in this discussion
Posted on 6 Sep 2012 12:47:19 BDT
***STATUS REPORT***
Rover Completes Longest Drive Yet
Mars Rover Curiosity in Artist's Concept, WideThis artist concept features NASA's Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover, a mobile robot for investigating Mars' past or present ability to sustain microbial life.
Curiosity completed a drive of 100 feet (30.5 meters) during the mission's Sol 29, on Sept. 4, 2012, traveling southeastward with a dogleg move partway through the drive to skirt some sand. This was the mission's longest drive so far and brought total driving distance to 358 feet (109 meters).
A Navigation Camera image with a wheel track from the Sol 29 drive is in the mission's collection of raw images, at http://1.usa.gov/OWxGIT .

Curiosity continues to work in good health. Sol 29, in Mars local mean solar time at Gale Crater, ended at 2:37 a.m. Sept. 5, PDT.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2012 13:02:25 BDT
Ok, so let me get this straight,

Launch 15:02 26/11/11
Landing 05:17 6/8/12
First Moved Approx 12:00 29/8/12
So in 9 days, it's moved less than a kilometre?

Frustration.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2012 13:06:40 BDT
Good things come to those who wait. As far as I'm aware, all is going to plan

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2012 14:05:10 BDT
DB says:
Popcorn
Thanks for the updates.
Diane

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2012 14:08:35 BDT
AJ Murray says:
Ugh... true. I notice that he posts stuff like 'ghjkgh' just to keep the page updated. That means of course that he regulalry googles his own moniker.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2012 14:19:35 BDT
What is the crack with that guy? He's advertising his own webpage on his profile but I could not makes sense of the home page, is he some sort of self-obsessed DJ burnout?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2012 14:56:18 BDT
AJ Murray says:
An aging clubber who is obsessed with young female flesh. He has said he never touched drugs. If he had he would at least have some sort of excuse for his incoherent ramblings. I find him creepy. Very very creepy.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Sep 2012 16:53:22 BDT
LOL C'mon Occam, give them time to test everything I am sure we dont want skewed results because equipment is not working, plus it probably takes a bit of time after they tell it to do something for it to actually be read by Curiosity, actioned and replied to.

Posted on 6 Sep 2012 17:27:59 BDT
Looks like more than one person has an issue with me judging by votes - awww what a shame I'm spamming up your holy forum with science and mans endeavour as opposed to your God ey....

Posted on 8 Sep 2012 10:26:58 BDT
***STATUS REPORT***
Arm Work to Include Vibration Testing
Curiosity skipped arm testing on Sol 31 (Sept. 6) after controllers held back on new commanding due to a caution about a temperature reading on the arm. The issue was resolved later in the day, so the planned activities have shifted to Sol 32 (Sept. 7). These include a checkout of the tool turret at the end of the arm and a test using vibration of the sample processing device on the arm.
The downlink during Sol 31 returned a Navigation Camera image of the turret taken during testing on Sol 30. It can be seen among the raw images from the rover at: http://1.usa.gov/NPGnIp .

Curiosity continues to work in good health. Sol 31, in Mars local mean solar time at Gale Crater, ended at 3:56 a.m. Sept. 7, PDT.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2012 12:39:47 BDT
DB says:
Popcorn
Thanks.
We seem to be getting lots of info about Curiosity itself, but not much about Mars yet.
I suppose I'm being impatient, but I would like to hear more about the planet.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2012 12:43:14 BDT
"We seem to be getting lots of info about Curiosity itself, but not much about Mars yet" - Lol, noticed that, although there are many absolutely jaw dropping pictures being sent back daily, all in good time ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2012 14:02:57 BDT
Hmm so far Mars just looks like Sal in the Cape Verde.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2012 16:43:21 BDT
Fatman says:
I prefer Snickers

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2012 09:47:37 BDT
Guess thats gonna take time Diane by the time they do the experiments and start analysing the actual data, could be months.

Hey PP do you know how long Curiosities mission is supposed to last for?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2012 10:50:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Sep 2012 10:51:43 BDT
Its got fuel for 14 years but I'm sure its only got activities for the next 2 years, let me look into that.

Confirmed, 2 years.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/09/10/mars-rover-curiosity-self-portrait_n_1869699.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2012 11:16:00 BDT
We likely wont see much for another year or so then depending on how fast it finds nothing or something?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2012 12:04:19 BDT
The next year will see it travel to its desired destination, but they will need to trail the sampling mechanism prior to this so who knows?

Posted on 13 Sep 2012 13:12:53 BDT
***STATUS UPDATE***
Source: Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Mars Rover Curiosity Arm Tests Nearly Complete
Say 'Ahh' on MarsThis image from NASA's Curiosity rover shows the open inlet where powered rock and soil samples will be funneled down for analysis.

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Mars Curiosity team has almost finished robotic arm tests in preparation for the rover to touch and examine its first Martian rock.

Tests with the 7-foot (2.1-meter) arm have allowed the mission team to gain confidence in the arm's precise maneuvering in Martian temperature and gravity conditions. During these activities, Curiosity has remained at a site it reached by its most recent drive on Sept. 5. The team will resume driving the rover this week and use its cameras to seek the first rock to touch with instruments on the arm.

"We're about to drive some more and try to find the right rock to begin doing contact science with the arm," said Jennifer Trosper, Curiosity mission manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

Two science instruments -- a camera called Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) that can take close-up, color images and a tool called Alpha Particle X-Ray Spectrometer (APXS) that determines the elemental composition of a target rock -- have passed preparatory tests at the rover's current location. The instruments are mounted on a turret at the end of the arm and can be placed in contact with target rocks.

Curiosity's Canadian-made APXS had taken atmospheric readings earlier, but its first use on a solid target on Mars was this week on a calibration target brought from Earth. X-ray detectors work best cold, but even the daytime APXS tests produced clean data for identifying elements in the target.

"The spectrum peaks are so narrow, we're getting excellent resolution, just as good as we saw in tests on Earth under ideal conditions," said APXS principal investigator Ralf Gellert of the University of Guelph, in Ontario, Canada. "The good news is that we can now make high-resolution measurements even at high noon to support quick decisions about whether a sample is worthwhile for further investigations."

The adjustable-focus MAHLI camera this week has produced sharp images of objects near and far.

"Honestly, seeing those images with Curiosity's wheels in the foreground and Mount Sharp in the background simply makes me cry," said MAHLI principal investigator Ken Edgett of Malin Space Science Systems in San Diego. "I know we're just getting started, but it's already been an incredible journey."

MAHLI is also aiding evaluation of the arm's ability to position its tools and instruments. Curiosity moved the arm to predetermined "teach points" on Sept. 11, including points above each of three inlet ports where it will later drop samples of soil and powdered rock into analytical instruments inside the rover. Images from the MAHLI camera confirmed the placements. Photos taken before and after opening the inlet cover for the chemistry and mineralogy (CheMin) analytical instrument also confirmed good operation of the cover.

"Seeing that inlet cover open heightens our anticipation of getting the first solid sample into CheMin in the coming weeks," said CheMin principal investigator David Blake of NASA's Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, Calif.

A test last week that checked X-rays passing through an empty sample cell in CheMin worked well. It confirmed the instrument beneath the inlet opening is ready to start analyzing soil and rock samples.

Curiosity is five weeks into a 2-year prime mission on Mars. It will use 10 science instruments to assess whether the selected field site inside Gale Crater has ever offered environmental conditions favorable for microbial life.

For more about Curiosity, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/msl and http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl . You can follow the mission on Facebook and Twitter at: http://www.facebook.com/marscuriosity and http://www.twitter.com/marscuriosity .

2012-288

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2012 15:54:15 BDT
DB says:
Wow! Their excitement is infectious.
Science really is incredible.

Thanks Popcorn

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2012 16:40:29 BDT
Spin says:
Pop: So when are we going to see something other than the rover itself or the tweets it sends back? So far, all it has done is provide Will.i.am with publicity...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Sep 2012 16:43:22 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Spin -but he is such a shy type, I am sure he hates the media attention.

Posted on 13 Sep 2012 16:49:38 BDT
Spin says:
Curiosity: the most advanced and expensive mobile phone ever produced...

Posted on 16 Sep 2012 10:23:41 BDT
Truth is that curiosity has to do this kind of marketing to remain in the public eye, by endorsing celebrities it taps into the pathetic obsession many have with celebs. Ultimately spin, nasa could not give a hoot about loserbook and nitwitter but by remaining in the public eye, they are more likely to secure funding for future operations. It isn't rocket science ;~]

Posted on 16 Sep 2012 20:23:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Sep 2012 20:24:00 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xafa441a4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  693
Initial post:  7 Aug 2012
Latest post:  21 Jun 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions