Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

To Consider Theology an Academic Discipline is Absurd

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 566 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 22:44:42 BDT
O.Binladen says:
Well that's three from three, how long before Diane smells an Atheist conspiracy?

Posted on 16 Jun 2013 22:46:22 BDT
Given DB says the same thing if her post arrives late, who cares?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 22:48:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2013 22:49:26 BDT
O.Binladen says:
You've just had three total strangers tell you it happened to them. Though obviously your feverish mind will already be looking to deny that as invalid somehow. Not that it matters, it won't change the egregious things religions have done, or make their claims more valid.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 22:53:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2013 22:54:40 BDT
Henry James says:
A number of friends and acquantainces tell vivid stories of descriptions/warnings from clergy of their flesh frying in boiling fat in hell. Even worse than my treasured mortification of the flesh.
I think there is a pattern here.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 22:54:02 BDT
DB says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 22:59:24 BDT
DB says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 23:06:53 BDT
richard says:
Wow isn't that a pretty big step for you to recognise that atheism is a non belief especially as you thought i was having doubts about it from my previous post which you commented on. but keep up the good work.

i am a bit confused about what taking my atheist non belief far too seriously means though. could you explain what you mean by this or is it simply a 'throw-away' comment? i am so tempted to use one of your favourite tactics and twist this back at you by saying "maybe you take your religious belief far too seriously" but i already know you take it far too seriously!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 23:09:57 BDT
richard says:
must i? have you degenerated into poor attempts at personal insults as usual? what ever age i am i seem at least to have gained some wisdom from those years and it didn't come from Sunday school.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 23:11:35 BDT
O.Binladen says:
Extremism? There's that pesky hyperbole of yours again, with no evidence of course.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 23:15:46 BDT
O.Binladen says:
I'd be weary of pouring too much hubris on a present day catholic "education", as we've heard enough about what some catholic priests consider part of a child's education, and yes, there's no doubting the pattern the evidence indicates.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 23:18:57 BDT
Henry James says:
Yes, I'd hesitate
before propping up (so to speak)
present day catholic education
as a model for others.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 23:19:06 BDT
DB says:

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 23:29:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2013 23:30:55 BDT
O.Binladen says:
Except the three people who told you it happened to them. How ironic that you've tried to deny it after just a couple of posts, exactly as I said you would. I notice you're doing your usual trick of trying to narrow the timeline for which you'll allow evidence, it's not fooling anyone you know.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 23:58:04 BDT
DB says:

Posted on 17 Jun 2013 05:58:00 BDT
Mrs. F. Shaw says:
Really, DB, there is no denying that religions use hell to terrify children. When a child asks you what hell is, what do you tell them? I'd really like to know. My own memories of Sunday School were fun actually but I do remember being terrified of dying and going to hell. Even then God seemed pretty arbitrary to me and it didn't matter if you were good or bad, your chances of ending up in hell were down to him. The concept of forgiveness and Jesus' sacrifice is too convoluted for children to understand. The Trinity is a bloody nightmare concept and interestingly enough is no where in the bible. Something the early catholic church made up at the council of Nicea or some such meeting.

You have your belief but you cannot deny other people's experience with their own belief as children, for crying out loud.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 08:20:32 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Rev- I think you dismiss this too easily. A chum of mine purchased a legal certificate to be called Reverend from the states. It was a joke ( he is an anti theist and atheist like me. He wore the dog collar on the way to the pub on his motorbike and got pulled for speeding, and was let off when he opened his jacket and plod saw the dog collar! He never rode without it, and was let off repeatedly over a period of many years. I considered getting one but my deep sense of it being hypocritical stopped me.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 08:24:54 BDT
C. A. Small says:
You missed out D5, identifying Leprochauns. Also
D6; singing to mermaids (chants and shanties)
D7; trying to convince those who can think coherently that an invisible friend is not the sign of a damaged brain.
D9 Techniques to train your mind to avoid reality.
D10 How to look and sound smug when telling others that the little voice is only talking to you.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 08:26:56 BDT
C. A. Small says:
And just think how much further we might have advanced without those navel gazing departments.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 08:30:56 BDT
C. A. Small says:
So is burger flipping- but neither are real degrees.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 09:10:31 BDT
O.Binladen says:
Three people told you unequivocally that had personal experience of something you denied was happening. I said you try and deny it without evidence and probably using hyperbole and empty rhetoric. Guess what, you've done precisely that because you'll deny any amount of wrong doing if it involves theism.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 09:12:17 BDT
O.Binladen says:
I never claimed children today were being terrified by a CATHOLIC education. A lie from you, or your usual use of hyperbole?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 09:14:19 BDT
O.Binladen says:
Hilarious, you think I'm living in the past when it's you and your church that forcing bronze age myths onto children.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 09:26:20 BDT
DB says:

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 12:57:08 BDT
Bellatori says:
Where did that come from?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2013 13:45:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2013 13:46:00 BDT
AJ Murray says:
Perhaps you should take a look at this link, and watch the accompanying documentary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell_house

Then you can apologise to OB.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  566
Initial post:  14 Jun 2013
Latest post:  11 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions