Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

If God created our universe, why does he object to our knowledge of it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 337 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 12:23:50 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 12:42:19 BDT
kraka says:
Spin.. Sorry, I was not challenging your post and knew what you meant, it was just my silly play with words. That's why I added, ...LOL. :).....at the end.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 12:46:14 BDT
Spin says:
Kraka: no problem; My post was not specifically addressed to you as a rebuttal of your humour but was a reply to those who seriously assume the arguments were my own invention.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 12:50:17 BDT
Pendragon says:
Spin: I thank you for your trouble.

Have you read any of these yourself?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 13:00:35 BDT
Spin says:
Pen; No, I make up my arguments against theists and atheists as I go along. =) Unlike some, I prefer to conduct a conversation in my own words rather than spend time quoting others in an attempt to somehow validate my argument and avoid criticism. One does not study a subject simply to be able to quote the authors of the arguments that constitute ones beliefs..

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 13:05:04 BDT
Pendragon says:
Spin: " I make up my arguments ... as I go along."

It shows. Take your own advice: read some books. You might gain some knowledge that way.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 13:41:07 BDT
Spin says:
Pen: Your contributions to both scientific and theological arguments are impressive. Perhaps you might try developing a sense of humour as your next endeavour instead of spreading your vitriolic nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 14:58:03 BDT
Ian,

The PS was in response to Spin's using the story to show that God lied. It in no way implies that that the Adam and Eve story were true (it does in fact begin with 'if').

Context is everything. If you even managed to make it out of playground and into the classroom you would know that.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 15:07:49 BDT
Spin,

If the issue was of no importance to you, you would not have brought it up. If you don't believe a word of Genesis, then why use it to make a point? Any conclusions you draw from it are meaningless.

PS - you keep changing your reasoning which suggests that you have made a claim and are desparate to back it up. According to the followers of God we do die. In fact only two or possibly three people have never died (Enoch, Elijah and Moses (by tradition)).

Rather than continuing to dig yourself into a hole, why not just admit that you did not understand the story and now you do?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 16:18:37 BDT
Spin says:
WD; As an ex-Christian, a once committed catholic, I am quite qualified to comment on biblical studies. Only those who read the bible without question are digging a hole.

Posted on 10 May 2013 16:37:08 BDT
DB says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 17:08:35 BDT
Dr HotFXMan says:
Childish drivel.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 17:24:31 BDT
Bellatori says:
Its a view... mind you comparing sin and poverty seems very Victorian Tory party. Obviously if you are free from sin you can be rich, hence the expression 'I am a poor sinner'. I have to confess that I always thought that was metaphotrical rather than literal but then, hey, what do I know?!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 17:40:08 BDT
Spin,

I hate to say it, but regardless of your past, your current comments show that you are not qualified at all.

I'm not reading the bible without question, but you appear to be interpreting the bible and getting upset when someone disagrees with your interpretation

Posted on 10 May 2013 18:47:40 BDT
There's no such thing as an original sin.
- Elvis Costello

Posted on 10 May 2013 21:19:26 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 21:32:17 BDT
Bellatori says:
"The first sin was that of disobedience, as God said you may eat..... but not from.... In eating they disobeyed, in disobeying the learned of good and evil. "

How did they know disobedience was a sin? In fact they could not until after eating...

They were in every sense children. They had to learn the meaning of no. This is not an instinctive inbred concept. You have to teach children the meaning of the word NO. Who taught Adam & Eve? Apparently no one. What a surprise then when two innocent children transgress.

The more I think about this, the more stupid the whole thing sounds.

An omniscient God would have known what would happen and should have prevented it.
A Benifcent God would have brought his children up better.

I'm for calling the social services. This guy clearly has no handle on child rearing and turning children out onto the street is simply beyond the pale.

Posted on 10 May 2013 22:01:57 BDT
richard says:
Bellatori,

Absent father not even paying maintenance!

Posted on 10 May 2013 22:12:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 May 2013 22:13:42 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 22:27:19 BDT
Bellatori says:
"How do you stop a child doing something when it has made its mind up to do/chooses to ignore you." Well what you do not do to a young child is put it out of the house to fend for itself. You firmly repeat the injunction and use both repetition to reinforce your point and then distract the child to prevent a re-occurrence.

You are missing the point though. Children do NOT understand that to disobey is wrong. They have to learn...!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 22:47:38 BDT
Stu says:
so very true bellatori children do not understand,that to disobey is wrong they have to learn from their mistakes,ask any parent im afraid its a hard task at times, well its my dinner time now having taken my tablets,night all

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2013 23:03:55 BDT
Henry James says:
stu says "so very true bellatori children do not understand"

Thornton Wilder has his dead people, in Our Town, say
"Living people just don't understand, do they?"

As a dead person, I can identify with this.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2013 14:12:50 BDT
Stu says:
strange you can still post henry if you are dead is it not ?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 May 2013 16:37:24 BDT
Heretic says:
stu says: "strange you can still post henry if you are dead is it not ?"

I suspect, given time, you will see even stranger things here!!

:->>

SWH

Posted on 11 May 2013 16:40:09 BDT
Obelix says:
If he gets to be Henry James, can I be William Faulkner?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  337
Initial post:  7 May 2013
Latest post:  29 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions