Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Dawkins and Williams

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 426-450 of 697 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 22:58:07 BDT
to get to the other side!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 02:13:10 BDT
Tom M says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 06:35:49 BDT
Drew Jones says:
"I'm going to show them in the summer..."
Can we have a more precise date for this please, I'd hate to miss out on it.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 06:47:21 BDT
Ford Prefect says:
In the Southern hemisphere we're in mid-autumn, so "summer" won't be hitting us here until December ...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 06:55:56 BDT
Drew Jones says:
I'd love it if he strung it out further on such a technicality!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 07:05:40 BDT
Ford Prefect says:
Also, you'll note that the year was never specified! ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 07:11:53 BDT
Drew Jones says:
A more presice date than 'summer' is going to be mighty helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 08:05:53 BDT
C. A. Small says:
TW- to transport the chariot across water? To bring new wheels to replace damaged/worn out wheels?

If your first response to info like this is to grasp at the straw and say aha- proof of a miracle, I have to say your desire to seek the truth is sadly lacking.

Presumably all the tanks in the sea off Normandy are there because in the 1940's the English Channel parted to let the Allies cross the channel without boats, then filled back in when most had crossed? Or did they sink when the flotation devices failed in heavy seas, or when the ships they were on sank?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 08:09:27 BDT
C. A. Small says:
TW- I didn't say Jesus didn't exist, I said there is no evidence he did- still the case if you take "Jesus" as the myth of legend. As I have said repeatedly, Jesus was a common name, there were lots of wandering mystics at the time and crucifiction was hugley popular at the time. A man called Jesus existed, he may have been a wandering mystic, but there is no evidence of the miracles. So to extraploate "a man called Jesus existed" into "The gospels are true" is dishonest, and very wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 08:10:31 BDT
C. A. Small says:
TW- myths/stories travel like wildfire in rural areas. Have you ever lived in a rural area?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 08:12:52 BDT
C. A. Small says:
It is starting to sound like the second coming!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 09:20:12 BDT
Isobel Ayres says:
I think you've got that a little backwards - there is nothing faster than the gossip mill in a village.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 09:26:07 BDT
AJ Murray says:
T. Woodman,

-"Please note above posts."

I did, instead of tacklingthe problems that surround your interpretation (and that is all it is) of the Gospel narratives you are now reduced to asserting that those of us who don't accept the acocunts as factual are being lazy and relying on 'dodgy' websites. Utter crap.

-"And the earliest written account of Jeuus was only 30-40 years after his death, and oral material goes back to much closer."

The Mormon accounts are much closer and consist of known named sources with every reason to recant their testimony, any way you want to slice it that makes their evidence more robust than yours.

-"The word you used iof Jesus is not a mild epithet, and you would as you know have been deleted by Amazon had I bothered to report it. Please access the Michale Grant book mentioned above."

I have already addressed this. Grant's conclusions are tentative and include appropriate caveats, he does not exaggerate these into 'observed facts' as you do.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 11:19:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2012 11:21:32 BDT
Mr. R. Evans says:
Hello, I found quite unbelievable Dawkins saying that he was agnostic. Considering he claims at any other time he is an atheist. Perhaps he feared someone saying 'Prove it'. Deception I think. If he wishes to stay with the 'I don't know' attitude, then why write a book called the God Delusion. Sure sounds like someone who knows to me, not scratching his head.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 11:28:07 BDT
AJ Murray says:
Dawkins is an agnostic atheist, his position hasn't changed.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 11:29:10 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Mr R Evans- try reading the book- he explains it perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 14:44:59 BDT
Mr. R. Evans says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 14:59:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2012 15:03:20 BDT
AJ Murray says:
Mr. R. Evans,

Agnosticism/Gnosticism is regarding knowledge. Atheism/Theism is about belief in a deity or deities.

Dawkins is an agnostic atheist. That is he has no belief in a deity and thinks they are very unlikely (hence the 6.9 on his scale). He remains tentative as he could (possibly) be wrong.

And for the record here is his response to the headlines;
http://richarddawkins.net/articles/645108-no-blood-on-the-carpet-how-disappointing-also-in-polish

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 15:01:18 BDT
Spin says:
R: I agree. The man has published numerous articles condemning religion and even gained a TV show to "prove" religion was a faulty belief. I think because he is coming under such strong fire concerning "freedom of belief and conscience", (things I do not doubt he believes in) he is "refining" his argument (if only to avoid a drop in sales of his book) =)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 15:03:08 BDT
Spin says:
AJ: An "Agnostic" Atheist? Would you care to define that? And then explain what an "Atheistic" Agnostic is.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 15:04:29 BDT
AJ Murray says:
An agnostic atheist is a person who lacks belief in deities yet admits to possibility that they may be incorrect.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 15:23:46 BDT
Pendragon says:
The point I was making is that the title to the book is "The Case for Christ". It is not "The Case for and Against Christ". It does not pretend to be a balanced examination of the arguments for and against. Nor is it.

@Bde Wall - this is also relevant to your point five posts below TW's under reply.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 15:25:05 BDT
Pendragon says:
"achaologists haae found chariot wheels on the bed of the Red Sea"

Do you have a reference for that find?

Why is it relevant to the Exodus story?

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 16:02:20 BDT
Mr. R. Evans says:

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 13:04:38 BDT
"Yet achaologists haae found chariot wheels on the bed of the Red Sea. "
1) The exodus crossed the reed sea, not the red sea
2) They haven't found archaeological evidence for an exodus at either.

Citations or it didn't happen dude.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the religion discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
158 2 days ago
Is President Trump right. Should we ban all Muslims and start deporting them in large amounts until they can prove they can accept civillisation and modern practices. I'm sure we all like history but the dark ages were the dark ages. 847 6 minutes ago
The thread for all religion bashing homosexuals to come OUT on. You know you want to, George Michael never looked behind him when he came out. 20 10 minutes ago
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests showing parental neglect causes homosexuality 905 21 minutes ago
How do Christians decide which rules in the bible should be obeyed? 80 52 minutes ago
The Virgin Mary. Mother of a God. the Epitome of Female purity and devotion to the Male 0 1 hour ago
A Syrian refugee with a criminal past and a history of assaults in Germany has today killed a woman with a machete. Come here, come to us said Merkel. She MUST STAND DOWN NOW. 27 2 hours ago
Gay habits and God. Smokers and the devil. 273 2 hours ago
if you don't like and don't believe in religion nobody says you are religiousphobic. So where did the liberal myth of Islamaphobia come from. 8 4 hours ago
The Power of Prayer. 2055 12 hours ago
Why are atheists without theism, which is to say why are atheists, atheists? 36 16 hours ago
Why did it take precisely 7 days, not more or less, for Jahwah,God or Allah to create the universe? 70 21 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  697
Initial post:  29 Feb 2012
Latest post:  14 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions