Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Literally...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 301-325 of 326 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 09:29:12 BDT
Isobel Ayres says:
Was that actually a book first? I thought the book was a spoof type job and actually based on the film? Great film, though.

I only occasionally like Robin Williams - he was great in Dead Poets, though.

The adaptation of Stardust was pretty good - that's a best contender.

Another contender for worst: the Keira Knightley version of Pride & Prejudice (outstanding cinematography notwithstanding)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 09:43:04 BDT
The Princess Bride was first published in 1973. The film was written by William Goldman based on his own book.

I agree about Robin Williams. He can be good but has a tendency to do mawkishly sentimental stuff too.

Good call with Stardust. Great book and film.

I've not seen P&P.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 10:59:14 BDT
Pro's and Cons.

You also ahve the give the guy credit for being abel to describe an imaginary world in suich amazing detail.

The actual functioning languages he created, which should be lauded in itself along with the literally thousands of years of history he recorded in the silmarillion from Day dot right up to the war of the ring and beyond.

I cant think of anyone else who has done this?

Personally as books I prefer Pullmans HDM troligy, but as an epic spectacle of the mind, very few things compare to LOTR and its companions.

Also HDM was a lesson in how not to do a novel adaptation, the cast were perfect, and the script/story changes/cinematography and direction were terrible.

Thus ruining the option of sequels and the 2nd one was totally the best as well. Maybe one day someone will try again, but you wont get that great cast again.

Kidman, Craig, Neil, Richards, Green etc and they were really so well cast in their roles I had high hopes.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:05:49 BDT
Isobel Ayres says:
There we go - thanks for that. When I was reading the Princess Bride I wasn't quite sure which way around it went.

See what you mean about RW and the mawkish stuff - wasn't there a film about him being in heaven and trying to rescue his wife in hell? Sentimental enough to rot your teeth!

Don't see P&P - it's horrendous. I get annoyed just thinking about it and I saw it once, more than five years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:24:46 BDT
The HDM film was terrible because they didn't want to offend 'certain groups'. They should have just stuck to the guns of the books.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:34:06 BDT
These are the memories that matter as as child, If you want a child to grow up and be a reasder, which will always improve that person socially and intellectually, then you have to read to them as a child and show them the beauty of books.

I still remember My mum reading books to me and my dad making up stories for me, which probably inspired me to be imaginative and make up my own stories.

And I remeber the Hobbit being read to us by Mrs Witcutt in Primary 6, and i fell in love with it.

Sadly Mrs Witcutt, best teacher I ever had was killed by a Bosnian Sniper whilst trying to delievry aid many years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:34:57 BDT
Read it wice, the first time is difficult, by the 2nd time it is actually readable.

Thats what it was like for me anyway

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:38:35 BDT
That's a sobering end to a childhood reminiscence.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:40:39 BDT
Totally agree, they chnaged it all up and the change of chronology of the ending was a ludicrously bad decision.

The First book is supposed to end on a cliffhanger with the Death of Lyra's friend Roger.

Total mess up, but amazingly well cast IMO, Sam Elliot was the only choice for Lee Scoresby and I thought Dakota Blue Richards was amazing as Lyra, perfect age and manner.

Would have loved to see the Subtle Knife on film.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:43:03 BDT
Thats life unfortunately, I remeber the day well, My Sister was at that time dating Mrs Witcutts son. And she was at the house when the kids got the phone call. There is a book about it all written if anyone is interested, I think by her Husband Alan. Flackjacket and Lipstick I think it was called?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:44:22 BDT
I've heard the author Jasper Fforde talk about the film industry and how they mess things up, which is why I don't expect to see a Thursday Next film.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:47:01 BDT
Isobel Ayres says:
Yes, it really was a waste of a brilliant cast. Such a shame.

Ah well, maybe it'll be tackled again in a few years with better results.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 11:48:59 BDT
Isobel Ayres says:
That's sad.

I remember being read to at school, but not any particular books. My Dad was the reader, as I've already said.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 12:00:31 BDT
If I had the Money, Id do it myself, properly LOL

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 14:17:30 BDT
We'll have a whip-round, see what we can come up with.

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 18:51:23 BDT
Princess Bride is a worthy choice.

IMO, High Fidelity, Memento, The Cement Garden, Last Orders, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and The Iron Giant are the peers of the books.

Posted on 13 Apr 2012 19:15:30 BDT
L.A. Confidential must get at least an honourable mention.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2012 12:16:15 BDT
Chris Gould says:
Much as I commend Nolan for his vision, I am still forever a 1960s Batman fan, simply because I do not have time for a prolonged rationalization of how someone becomes a Bat man. What I care far more about is the situations in which Batman finds himself, and the villains he has to face. And if this can be conveyed with razor sharp humor, a witty script, and incredibly a positive message for the kids (attempting to lead public opinion rather than follow it) so much the better!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Apr 2012 12:55:50 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Chris- me too, Adam West and Burt Ward forever!

Posted on 28 Apr 2012 14:26:51 BDT
^ and ^^

Philistines!
Your reply to Amazon Customer's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 22:07:10 BDT
Spin says:
Apaarently, and I say this as a die-hard Batman fan, Burt was a bit of a sexual predator...Adam West argued with burt over his sexual lifestyle as he lifted the catering assistant from his baterang...=) Stories? You would not believe it! Its great being a super-hero...=)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 22:10:03 BDT
Spin says:
Sam: Were not "Philistines" simply opponents to the established religion? Why not call people "secularists" or "liberals". Why employ biblical propoganda, rather than fact, to combat a view?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 22:52:05 BDT
Why not realise who I was actually responding to?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 23:11:32 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2012 07:20:14 BDT
Your comment bore no relation to the post that it was a reply to. I wasn't even talking about religion or religious people. That's why I directed you to look at who I was replying to.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  326
Initial post:  26 Mar 2012
Latest post:  30 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions