Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

The best atheist quotes to challenge the religious mind.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2751-2775 of 3213 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 13:03:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2012 13:07:32 GMT
C. A. Small says:
Harry;
1 results in blue ball syndrome for men- very unhealthy.

2 cruelty to animals- nice.

3 define better? If you are talking about a god- genocidal lunatics ( for all my faults) do not seem to fit the bill.

4 in moderation fine. At least a drunk couldn't fly a plane into a building.

5 no argument here- I do, but I am an atheist, so why do you need a god threatening you with hell if you do not.

The bad stuff begins the moment some loony thinks an invisible friend is talking to them, and some other fool believes them.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:50:45 GMT
Great, thanks Bert.

You've made it all clear now :)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:50:27 GMT
Drew Jones says:
"Sex before Marriage (Living together) - not wrong?"
No, it's not. I can make a weblink stating this opinion too but I don't imagine it'll do anything for you.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:48:11 GMT
'One's own truth can only come from within surely?

I'll find my own path, don't need any religion to tell me how to get there.'

Wrong! You're totally lost!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:41:22 GMT
'If it were you have nothing to learn from any discussion, you could simply retreat into the confines of your mind and find what's what.'

This statement is true.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:39:23 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 12:36:48 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:34:48 GMT
GLL appears to think I'm on a crusade to convert everyone to radical Islam, and to slay all heathens.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:33:35 GMT
I probably don't make much sense at all, the difference being I'm still young and rather undecided upon a chosen path.

I'm open minded to all faiths, to all learning.

You it seems, have closed your mind off to anything other than your deity.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:30:31 GMT
GLL = patronising twit!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:29:50 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:28:23 GMT
Drew Jones says:
Oh, you meant thoughts and opinions? I agree that those come from within. You should be a bit more careful not to label those things 'the truth' (even if they are mostly accurate and entirely reasonable) or suggest they are something we couldn't know.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:18:18 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:15:08 GMT
One's own truth can only come from within surely?

I'll find my own path, don't need any religion to tell me how to get there.

Surely you agree with that?

(im not talking about scientific truths here Drew)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:14:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2012 12:46:49 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:11:38 GMT
Drew Jones says:
"... but the truth can only come from within. It's a feeling, a state of mind."
No it doesn't and it's not. If it were you have nothing to learn from any discussion, you could simply retreat into the confines of your mind and find what's what.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 12:04:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2012 12:09:01 GMT
Drew Jones says:
I think you reveal how naive religious thinking is when it comes to morality. It offers little reason for doing these things and rarely forms a strong logical connection between the actions and the fallout it presumes to protect us from.

1. No sex before marriage (the big one): Does it really encourage bonding? I don't think so. Sexual act's strongly bond us to people, to suggest that an ritualistic ceremony makes a notable difference totally warps our idea of what sex is and what it's for. It makes us suspicious and fearful of a perfectly natural instinct and act. It can inhibit our sex lives which is a strong part of bonding with our partners. And a prohibition on sex before marriage does nothing to encourage raising a family, marriage isn't the imagined ritual that carries us over some threshold of maturity. Promotion of absentence shows that it doesn't discourage the spreading STI's, treating people like mature adults and making them aware of the dangers in having sex provides far greater defences against the spread of STI and STDs. I also strongly feel that we would see may of the failings that single parenthood brings if we stopped demonising people who find themselves in such a situation. We turn it into a self-fulfilling prophesy with casual aspersions tying their circumstances into things like STis as you have done.

2. Dietary laws: Sacrificing animals does not remove the health hazards they can carry, this is an excellent example of religious laws hold some semblance of a good principle but show absolutely no idea as to how it's sensible. Pork and shellfish can make us ill if not prepared properly but like with sex, education not fear is the best way to guard against them.

3. Be thankful to something better than ourselves: This is a good principle but only in moderation, as with everything else. A measure of self confidence is healthy too. To degrade yourself to the extent the Abrahamic religion's ask of you is no more healthy than the big headed people you dislike.

4. Don't intoxicate oneself: Well a toxic substance is by definition harmful to us. These sort of tautological commands shouldn't impress us and I'm not sure you want look to religions for guidance on what is toxic.

5. Giving alms: Yes this is a decent basic principle. Not sure religion is necessary to understand it.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 11:49:04 GMT
lol!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 11:48:39 GMT
G. Heron says:
Harry Warraich

I will, in your next life.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 11:47:11 GMT
I was quoting Buddha, cut me some slack Heron.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 11:45:42 GMT
G. Heron says:
Harry Warraich

"I'm scared that I might die without knowing the truth, but the truth can only come from within. It's a feeling, a state of mind. "

No it isn't

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 11:43:06 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 11:42:15 GMT
I'm not ashamed of anything, or I wouldn't mention it on a very public forum.

I'm scared that I might die without knowing the truth, but the truth can only come from within. It's a feeling, a state of mind.

A book can only take you so far.

I'm very fond of the Abrahamic faiths, but to >"ME"< they make little sense.

Maybe one day >"I"< can find out the truth.

Posted on 7 Mar 2012 11:38:43 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Mar 2012 11:36:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Mar 2012 11:37:21 GMT
I'm not undercover, I've been very open about my religious views thus far.

My father is a muslim, my mother a christian, my partner is Jewish.

And I think they all don't make much sense.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  3213
Initial post:  19 Feb 2012
Latest post:  17 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions