Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Pumpkin Head

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2551-2575 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 16:52:27 BDT
K. Moss says:
Hi Monica.

I think my boys' school upbringing has never really left me. Even in my most refined moments, 'poo jokes' will tend to make me snigger, although I usually wilt under my wife's disapproving eye at such times. I would certainly draw the line at Benny Hill and 99.99% of all sitcoms.

Rafferty's disappearance very near the end of his life still has an aura of mystery about it. There are tales of a posh London hotel room being so trashed, that they had to gut it and start all over. There are tales about him retreating to the Tuscany countryside for solace. It does appear that he spent time with a lady he was very fond of, and there were some signs of recovery (he was undergoing total organ failure) prior to a resurgence of the symptoms which ended his life. He seems to have been a complex and gifted man with a self-destructive bent.

Kevin

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 17:00:23 BDT
Monica,

I'll take a look at Monsieur, but my to-read list is now very long and I'm going to have to stop promising people that I'll read every recommendation. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2012 17:07:46 BDT
K. Moss says:
Sam.

Just out of interest, who is the author here? I ended up searching on Gerald Durrell and Lawrence Durrell, and could not find it under their names.

Many thanks,

Kevin

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 17:30:09 BDT
monica says:
Whoops, was conflating the two. Book is by Lawrence. Extremely difficult to find info re, though my copy is new (remaindered) edition. Think it was first in series of five books taking place in Provence.

Thanks for that. I suppose I'd like to leave behind mysteries when I die as well . . .

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 19:32:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2012 08:25:59 BDT
Sombrio says:
I just thought I would throw this one in as a bit of a dark horse, ( after all, the Pumpkin Head thread is kind of an 'Odds and Sods' drawer where things that don't fit anywhere else, can be simply tossed in just for the hell of it).

Anyway, I'm going through a period where I'm finding it difficult to come across anything in this forum any more that catches onto my interest. It seems to me that the way things are now, about six or eight people are holding the floor all the time,.... each expressing their same point of view over and over, and just waiting for someone to pop up with a view slightly different so that they can each take turns to verbally dump all over him/her and thus, supposedly, prove what an utter fool he/she is.

It's become like endlessly watching re-runs of "Ground Hog Day". All the verbal 'Kung Fu Fighters' have a ferociously strong and fixed opinion about "What Is",.... But it's all just talk. NO EXPERIENCE.

Be that as it may, after what was probably about a year or two's absence, I found myself once again filtering through a link to Conscious TV, that I'd made to someone on that thread about, "Any Good Spiritual Books Out There ?" One of the interviews turned out to be with a guy that I'd never heard of before, nor had any interest in his field, (Cranio-Sacral therapy), and it somehow caught my attention. So,... I saved the link

I've only just now had enough spare time to watch it,... and I found the guy's story absolutely fascinating ! It was such a welcome change to listen to someone who was talking from a wealth of personal experiences he'd had in his own life, rather than merely from a collection of intellectual theories he has about it. The flavour is completely different, I assure you. Quite an extraordinary life this guy has had.

Perhaps someone else here may be interested in tasting a different flavour for a change. I still have no particular interest in his field,.... but I very much love and welcome the feel of sincerity whenever I encounter it. Anyway, for whatever it may be worth,... here's the link :

http://conscious.tv/lifestories.html?bcpid=21639767001&bclid=22539533001&bctid=807857027001

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 20:38:15 BDT
gille liath says:
I agree. You had a thread a little while ago asking if anyone here had learned anything, or changed their minds about anything, or somesuch title. I was reflecting recently that this forum has helped me learn something important: the futility of arguing about God. Because if he is to be found anywhere - and I think he is - it will not be in the place where the arguers are looking.

Of course, all spiritual writers tell you that. But - as you also point out - I had to learn it by experience.

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 20:39:46 BDT
gille liath says:
The wise husband thinks carefully - before saying nothing.

Terry Medford (of Terry & June)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 20:45:10 BDT
Spin says:
Gille: "A wise husband"? Is there such a thing? If so, the man would not be married, would he? seriously, I love my wife. She tells me what to think and how to act. And she makes one hell of a Spaghetti Bolognese. (so much wine it, I end up plastered!) I'm here, baby! Do as you want with me! =)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 20:50:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2012 21:48:51 BDT
gille liath says:
I take my wife everywhere...but she keeps finding her way back.

(rrrom-pom-pom!)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 21:01:47 BDT
Lawrence Durrell is the brother of Gerald Durrell, and a novelist. He pops up in Gerald's books about the family now and then as 'Larry'. He had (or has) a villa on Corfu also, which is pointed out to visitors on boat trips.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 21:03:46 BDT
Maybe some people start drinking because they are depressed, then the addiction gets a grip and they can't stop even if they are happy? It's very sad to hear about these talented people though.

Posted on 19 Apr 2012 21:07:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Apr 2012 21:08:03 BDT
I don't know why they say with alcohol that people have got to stop altogether and 'dry out', yet with drug addiction it's recognised that you have to wean yourself off gradually to avoid withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps they're different types of addiction, I don't know.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 21:37:43 BDT
K. Moss says:
Hi Sombrio.

I agree with both you and Gille. There's a lot of Groundhog Day here, but we go round and round in the hope that something worthwhile will come out at the end. A bit like life, really.

But don't leave us! Yours is a very welcome voice, a very fragrant contribution when we have to put up with shouts and rants.

Regards, Kevin

Posted on 20 Apr 2012 22:03:10 BDT
'Lotus Dam', by Les Murray

Lotus leaves, standing feet above the water
collect at their centre a perfect lens of rain
and heel, and tip it back into the water.

Their baby leaves are feet again, or slant lips
scrolled in declaration; pointed at toe and heel
they echo an unwalked sole in their pale green crinkles

and under blown and picket blooms, the floor
of floating leaves rolls light rainwater marbles
back and forth on sharkskins of anchored rippling.

Each speculum, pearl and pebble of the first water
rides, sprung with weight, on its live mirroring skin
tipped green and loganberry, till one or other sky

redeems it, beneath bent foils and ferruled canes
where cupped pink bursts all day, above riddled water.

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 08:56:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2012 09:21:17 BDT
Someone on another thread got me into Jake Thackray (again). Youtube.co.uk Jake singing The Kiss is wonderful. Another alcoholic I think he died the sad loss of a genius.

If anyone is interested to look at this, as far as I can recall Jake never used an accompanist so the exquisite guitar playing in the background must be him though you can't see because it's a static video.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 09:39:11 BDT
Sombrio says:
HELL EXPLAINED BY CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University chemistry mid-term paper. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by my girlfriend, Theresa, during my first year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it
follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore,
extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A"

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 14:07:03 BDT
gille liath says:
Third there are the sarabaites, who with no experience to guide them, no rule to try them, have a character as soft as lead. Still loyal to the world by their actions, they clearly lie to God by their tonsure. Two or three together, or even alone, without a shepherd, they pen themselves up in their own sheepfolds, not the Lord's. Their law is what they like to do; anything they believe in and choose, they call holy; anything they dislike, they consider forbidden.

Rule of St Benedict.

Posted on 27 Apr 2012 10:31:42 BDT
gille liath says:
-Do you believe in God, Alan?
-Yes, I do
-What is God?
-God is...a gas. I mean, not like propane - something big, like oxygen.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012 17:57:52 BDT
Spin says:
Gille: =) If I knew then what I know now...=)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Apr 2012 20:42:34 BDT
gille liath says:
How d'you mean - are you Alan Partridge? Or alternatively God? (On second thoughts, don't answer the second one)

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 21:12:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Apr 2012 11:39:30 BDT
Dolly - "On our road we have a lovely old church, don't we Jean? Beautifully looked after, much used by the community."
Jean - "It's a carpet shop."
Dolly - "Now we hear there are plans for it to be taken over by some daft group. What are they Jean?"
Jean - "Christians."
Dolly - "I'm getting up a petition."
Jean - "Christian Fundamentalists."
Dolly - "It's all very well them laughing and making friends with Jesus. We'll have miles to go for a carpet if that happens."

-Dinnerladies (series 2, episode 7, 'Minnellium')

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2012 21:33:05 BDT
Spin says:
Gille: Please let me answer it.... Please...=)

Posted on 2 May 2012 11:20:56 BDT
gille liath says:
...And yet Richard believed in less even than a vapour. He hated a fable, he fought against a fable, he took a fable seriously. I couldn't hate Hansel and Gretel, I couldn't hate their sugar house as he hated the legend of heaven. The Devil didn't exist and God didn't exist, but all his hatred was for the good fairy-tale, not the wicked one. Oh God, if I could really hate you, what would that mean?

Graham Greene, The End of the Affair.

NB To Richard on this forum - if you read this post, please be assured it does not refer to you.

Posted on 11 May 2012 16:49:42 BDT
AJ Murray says:
"A robust natural theology may well be necessary for the gospel to be effectively heard in Western society today. In general, Western culture is deeply post-Christian. It is the product of the Enlightenment, which introduced into European culture the leaven of secularism that has by now permeated Western society. While most of the original Enlightenment thinkers were themselves theists, the majority of Western intellectuals today no longer considers theological knowledge to be possible. The person who follows the pursuit of reason unflinchingly toward its end will be atheistic or, at best, agnostic." ~ W.L.Craig

Posted on 27 May 2012 09:44:35 BDT
K. Moss says:
Hi Folks.

Saw this recently, and enjoyed it.

The Book of my Enemy Has Been Remaindered, by Clive James.

The book of my enemy has been remaindered
And I am pleased.
In vast quantities it has been remaindered
Like a van-load of counterfeit that has been seized
And sits in piles in a police warehouse,
My enemy's much-prized effort sits in piles
In the kind of bookshop where remaindering occurs.
Great, square stacks of rejected books and, between them, aisles
One passes down reflecting on life's vanities,
Pausing to remember all those thoughtful reviews
Lavished to no avail upon one's enemy's book -
For behold, here is that book
Among these ranks and banks of duds,
These ponderous and seemingly irreducible cairns
Of complete stiffs.

And I rejoice.
It has gone with bowed head like a defeated legion
Beneath the yoke.
What avail him now his awards and prizes,
The praise expended upon his meticulous technique,
His individual new voice?
Knocked into the middle of next week
His brainchild now consorts with the bad buys
The sinker, clinkers, dogs and dregs,
The Edsels of the world of moveable type,
The bummers that no amount of hype could shift,
The unbudgeable turkeys.

Yea, his slim volume with its understated wrapper
Bathes in the blare of the brightly jacketed Hitler's War Machine,
His unmistakably individual new voice
Shares the same scrapyard with a forlorn skyscraper
Of The Kung-Fu Cookbook,
His honesty, proclaimed by himself and believed by others,
His renowned abhorrence of all posturing and pretense,
Is there with Pertwee's Promenades and Pierrots-
One Hundred Years of Seaside Entertainment,
And (oh, this above all) his sensibility,
His sensibility and its hair-like filaments,
His delicate, quivering sensibility is now as one
With Barbara Windsor's Book of Boobs,
A volume graced by the descriptive rubric
"My boobs will give everyone hours of fun".

Soon now a book of mine could be remaindered also,
Though not to the monumental extent
In which the chastisement of remaindering has been meted out
To the book of my enemy,
Since in the case of my own book it will be due
To a miscalculated print run, a marketing error-
Nothing to do with merit.
But just supposing that such an event should hold
Some slight element of sadness, it will be offset
By the memory of this sweet moment.
Chill the champagne and polish the crystal goblets!
And I am glad.

Clive James
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the religion discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
158 2 hours ago
How do Christians decide which rules in the bible should be obeyed? 29 54 seconds ago
New Evidence That Christianity is Fake and Jesus Never Existed 1250 1 minute ago
Should we take Sade to the Sadists. 0 24 minutes ago
Should we take Jihad to the Jihadists. 0 26 minutes ago
Why did it take precisely 7 days, not more or less, for Jahwah,God or Allah to create the universe? 61 35 minutes ago
Does Christianity make any sense? 484 46 minutes ago
Book (Snapping of the American Mind) shows Harvard tests showing parental neglect causes homosexuality 892 1 hour ago
The thread for all religion bashing homosexuals to come OUT on. You know you want to, George Michael never looked behind him when he came out. 8 1 hour ago
Hollande "Terrorists will stop at nothing". yes, well done Sherlock, that's why YOU shouldn't have let them in. 0 2 hours ago
Is President Trump right. Should we ban all Muslims and start deporting them in large amounts until they can prove they can accept civillisation and modern practices. I'm sure we all like history but the dark ages were the dark ages. 635 2 hours ago
Don't mention the word Muslim. Hollande won't, Obama didn't want to and the BBC certainly won't. They'd rather you didn't have any thoughts on the matter. And then they are surprised when they are voted out. 43 2 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  91
Total posts:  2893
Initial post:  13 Feb 2010
Latest post:  23 Jun 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions