Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

The best atheist quotes to challenge the religious mind.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2526-2550 of 3213 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 04:45:57 BDT
Threads die. It happens. Just metaphorically put it in a shoebox and bury it in the back garden.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 06:59:23 BDT
DB says:
David has committed adultery with Bathsheba and arranged the death of her husband. Instead of directly indicting the king for this criminal abuse of his royal authority, the prophet Nathan tells David a story. In the story, a parable of David's own actions, a powerful man takes cruel advantage of his vulnerable neighbor. Hearing the story, David is outraged and denounces the rich man-thus unwittingly pronouncing judgment on himself ("You are the man," v. 7).

* [12:6] Fourfold restitution: David's judgment foreshadows the deaths of four of his own sons: the child born of his adulterous union with Bathsheba (v. 18); Amnon (13:28-29); Absalom (18:15; 19:1); and Adonijah (1 Kgs 2:24-25).

* [12:11] In broad daylight: lit., "before the eyes of the sun"; the phrase echoes "before your very eyes" and anticipates "in the presence of the sun itself" (v. 12). The reference is to Absalom's action in appropriating his father's harem

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 08:28:18 BDT
C. A. Small says:
And Batman vowed to use his wealth and position to fight crime and avenge his parents.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 10:11:48 BDT
Pendragon says:
"We don't need Batman - we've got Robin" - Arsenal banner at yesterday's match.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 10:28:50 BDT
We've all been there Clive, I don't know why Batman gets so much more coverage than the rest of us.

No Heroics, yikes! 50, it cost me 7.50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ljrDIBzAtc

Posted on 14 May 2012 20:36:17 BDT
light says:
Michael,

You should take 0 votes as a compliment. People tend to migrate where there is an opportunity to insult other people's beliefs.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 20:44:11 BDT
Have you received treatment for your martyr complex, Light?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2012 23:17:15 BDT
Pendragon says:
You Catwoman you.

Posted on 15 May 2012 01:33:05 BDT
See how easy it is to RESUSCITATE THE DEAD!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 01:36:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2012 01:42:03 BDT
light says:
I don't have any idea why you would say that. Telling it like it is doesn't make me a martyr.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 01:38:31 BDT
light says:
Michael,

It doesn't take much to resuscitate the dead, all a person has to say is, "Hi" and the insults start flying.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 10:21:57 BDT
C. A. Small says:
SAm- I think the first treatment should be for woolly thinking and wilfull ignorance, the matyr complex can be treated next week.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 10:38:04 BDT
I've already given my prescription for ignorance.

Posted on 15 May 2012 18:52:55 BDT
"It doesn't take much to resuscitate the dead, all a person has to say is, "Hi"

Saying 'Hi' brings the dead back to life?

I'm heading off to North Wales with a megaphone.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 19:39:05 BDT
Say "Hi" to my love life on the way past, would you...

;-D

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 20:44:59 BDT
'You only have to look up the names/quotes provided to draw a conclusion on how logical, valid, coherent or truthful they may be. '

Joe, they are but men like you and I, we are all equal in this life as we came into the world the same way and will leave the world the same way.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 20:49:05 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 15 May 2012 20:50:39 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 15 May 2012 20:54:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2012 20:55:34 BDT
I would if I could, Sam. My schedule's packed: I'm already booked to resurrect Tom M's intelligence, DB's sanity and Peter Hitchens' charm, decorum and social conscience.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 22:58:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2012 23:02:32 BDT
Joe. C says:
A. walker,
Yes they are men (plus a women), some of the the most intelligent people to have ever existed, i'm not saying any of them were perfect. But they are certainly some of the most iconic figures in recent history. Not opinions/facts to be taken lightly.
Yes we all come from a sperm, and no human is immortal, other than that we are all unique in our own way.
It is pot luck what gene pool you are born into, what position your parents have and the environment you grow up in.
These are all things you have zero control over, yet each one to some degree shapes who you are along with the choices you make.
These are the things that make us very different people with different perspectives and lastly unequal on an intellectual level, a biological level and on a material level.
Parents are god in the eyes of a child and rightly so they are your creators, and to some degree shape who you are.
To think we live in a world of equality is madness just look around.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 23:09:54 BDT
A very nice post Joe, very well put.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 23:25:12 BDT
Francis C says:

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 23:26:59 BDT
Very good, so what would the measure of a man be? From an Atheist point of view I mean? Because without god the atheist would say once you're gone you're gone, never to even know you were here, so what did you achieve really because you have left behind all that you did and are then nothing, quite like everybody else in death ergo equal. Just as we entered this life with nothing, so too shall we leave this life with nothing.
However your point makes more sense to the faithful; the 'middle' bit as you so gallantly put it counts. The good receive the fullness of god, so too do the naive, but those who reject got with full knowledge of him then will live eternity without him and so on.
So perhaps you could return to this wealth of information you hold in such high regard maybe only to find yourself constantly contradicted.
Oh and Einstein you're not doing a particularly good job of living up to the name.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2012 23:32:15 BDT
'Inexcusable with all the education that is available. '

So rather than rely on your own intellectual capacity what you mean is if Mr. B Einstein doesn't know the answer, he googles. Ha

Posted on 15 May 2012 23:34:06 BDT
Spin says:
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  3213
Initial post:  19 Feb 2012
Latest post:  17 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions