Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Why does Christianity, Judaism and Islam discriminate against women?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 953 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Apr 2012 21:46:27 BDT
Spin says:
I cannot understand why abrahamic monotheism, given its emphasis on equality, justice and virtue, treats women absolutely abominably. Surely women have as much to offer a religion as men? These religions, run by Men, seem to transfer the male pre-occupation wuth sexuality to the female. A man's desire for a woman is enough to ban women from contributing to religious doctrine. All Monotheistic religions stress Gods love, yet women are excluded from Gods divine love and acceptance.. I would like to see women having much more say in religion. Women once gave their lives for the right to vote in secular society. It is about time they stood up and showed their religion that they are relevent and do not demand a voice, but are entitled to it.

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 22:58:46 BDT
which one sanctions uncircumcised males

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 23:01:12 BDT
Spin says:
Glorify: Sorry, I do not understand how the concept of male or female circumscision relates to my point that women should have more of an active role in monotheistic religion. If anything, it supports my argument.

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 23:05:16 BDT
do we live in an asexual world?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 23:13:29 BDT
Spin says:
Glorify: To reply in your terms, God created this world, did he not? He created Woman, gave her the ability to create and nurture the life he felt compelled to create. Why disregard the very essence of creation and epitome of "Love"?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 23:17:36 BDT
richard says:
but then god only really communicated with man as far as i know! if god had turned women into prophets and if mosetta had lead the exodus then things might have turned out different!

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 23:19:01 BDT
This is a good question and arguably one of the most complicated, intricate and delicate theological questions ever. I don't have an answer I'm just wanting to show that the "big three" are not all the same ... in one respect, at least. Make of it whatever one will. Ta.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 23:35:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2012 23:36:09 BDT
DB says:
Spin

" So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth." Genesis

God created us equal.

The way man has developed and expressed that equality has been left to us, as with all things.

For instance
If you were to look at a Cof E church, or a Catholic church, you would find women holding powerful positions in administration and the running of associations and groups within those religions.
Women are far from being without influence, or 'a voice'.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 23:44:25 BDT
Spin says:
Richard: So how do explain Greek, Roman, Hindu and Buddhist Female deities? Why does monotheism reject the contribution of women to our livs? A denial of reality in favour of ideology? Prejudice? Freudian psychology? Why, when us men love women so much, as mothers and lovers, do we treat them as servants to out desires?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 23:47:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2012 23:52:43 BDT
anyone can just rail off 1 Timothy, DB. but that might neglect that Christian women were (and are) expected to show tact and graceful understanding concerning prior manifest difficulties caused (in revelation) by men not keeping lust in check, or by betraying their calling in order to gratify desire (like Ahab chasing Jezebel the Phoenecian) ... and that men (in context) also thus carried the torch of experience in the church, inheriting the most difficult lessons; it being needful for them to lead and teach

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 23:48:38 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2012 23:54:22 BDT
Spin says:
Glorify: So Men, the authority, have the last say, even though they nothing of female thought, sexuality etc? a man can dictate how a woman should live without ever knowing what it is to be a woman. very intelligent I must admit. If that is "Gods Wisdom" then excuse me if I prefer to be more "god-like" than your "God". If religion evolved according to the experiences of women rather than men, then religion would be much more sensible and reasoned.

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 23:56:37 BDT
yet woman biblically is meant to help / helps man. that also can be pondered ... whether she needs do it consciously, or if she just does it naturally, and despite imperfections. its a two-way street. but let's not pretend the sexes are identical please

Posted on 21 Apr 2012 23:57:54 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Apr 2012 23:01:59 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 00:00:04 BDT
Spin says:
Glorify: So Man just has to sit back and let women provide food and sex? what a great doctrine! I'm converted! Lets see what my better hal;f makes of my demands for her servitude!..If you hear shouting, its from my house...=)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 00:10:26 BDT
richard says:
Greek and Roman, Wine and lots of gods mean goddesses and getting drunk/orgy makes for an appreciation of women. Hindu and Buddhist (don't know much but seem pretty chilled) monotheism just seems very misogynistic and disturbing. the early church made sex dirty and women to blame for men being randy. Abramic religion very screwed up regarding women, wants them all to be virgin mother figures! (i just know i'm going to regret saying that!)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 00:22:09 BDT
Spin says:
Richard: The last image of Jesus is of him hanging on wood, nails in his limbs, after his torture, the horror of death. The message: Fear death and judgement. You are a sinner and God will make you will suffer. But, The last image of Buddha is of him reclined, a smile on his lips; an image of peace and acceptance of death. The message: nothing to be afraid of. Live as you see fit and upon your death-bed know you led a good life. One does not have to worship suffering to be a "good" person. One must only live. Simple as that.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 00:25:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Apr 2012 00:39:42 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 00:32:17 BDT
Spin says:
Abrahamic monotheism is becoming less popular precisely because of its sexism and prejudices. If monotheism wants to define itself as a genuine religion, involving all, it must abandon its male-orientated opinions and engage in the real world.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 00:38:49 BDT
DB says:
Spin
Isn't it Dharma you follow?

Dharma and women

As a child, to be obedient and respectful to her parents and elders.
In household life, to serve a worthy husband and treat his friends and relatives with affection. To avoid mixing intimately with other men.
To be fully conversant in religious principles.
To be expert in household affairs, and to keep the home clean and well-decorated.
To dress and decorate herself to please her husband. A wife should avoid dressing up if her husband is away from home.
To control her greed and passions and to speak truthfully and pleasingly.
To follow certain vratas (vows) such as fasting on days like Ekadasi (the 11th day of the moon).
To love, protect and nurture children.
In later life, to dedicate time to spiritual practices and to give counsel to younger family members.

Does your wife dress and decorate herself to please you?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 00:47:35 BDT
richard says:
see, i said i'd regret saying that!

i don't see why it would be boring if all females were ladies of the night. hookers or vampires i guess. at least they'd be getting paid for it. as i understand it many hookers are mothers and partners, it's a job! most of the women in the sex industry have a life outside of it.

i seem to remember one of the problems some people (husbands) had with Paul was that he was persuading some wives to become celibate.

Posted on 22 Apr 2012 00:51:24 BDT
buddhism is not as stringent as "the big three".
it's a very very vague, delicate framework; discarded at will; more than it is doctrine.

I don't think much emphasis is placed on the written word or on written commands. It's not that kind of thing, and not comparable. like much of oriental thought. AFAIK.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 20:29:55 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Spin- good opening post and an important question.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 20:31:13 BDT
C. A. Small says:
DB- great, how many female popes have there been?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2012 20:33:56 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Spin- get better soon, I am sure the bruises will fade and in time the limp will go away. I suggest on your return from A & E picking up a large bunch of flowers, some Belgian chocolates, and a sleeping bag to make the next fortnoight on the sofa less chilly!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 39 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  953
Initial post:  21 Apr 2012
Latest post:  7 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions