Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

Will curiosity find life on Mars??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 693 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Aug 2012 11:30:21 BDT
Hedge your bets here.
I think they will find evidence of previous and perhaps current microbial life. I am willing to place 5 on that.
Thoughts/predictions?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 11:38:30 BDT
I'd go with prior simple microbial life but not current.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 11:43:49 BDT
I'd put money on a space beast jumping out from a crater and twocking Curiosity.

I can dream ...

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 11:47:16 BDT
I'll take that bet in order to help you dream Kodokushi. Shall we say 90

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 11:53:00 BDT
tsarina says:
Maybe NASA should have considered how a visiting robot would be welcomed here. It would probably be instantly wheel-clamped and a man with a squeegie would start washing the camera lens and demanding money (no wonder aliens don't land here often)

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 11:54:22 BDT
Right everyone, 50 each in the pot - we'll fund our own mission to mars and one lucky winner will get to be THE space beast. To win this prize one need only submit their alien designs, best costume wins !!

But so far, we only have 150. I'll take my idea to the Chinese, bet they'd like some lolz at the US' expense =)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 11:55:48 BDT
We'll make this happen Kod, I promise we are going to Mars.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 11:57:17 BDT
Tsarina, good point. But back to bets please. What are we thinking. I'm with Occam here. Previous microbial life seems likely?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 12:01:52 BDT
That sounds like a dodgy chat-up line - I'll take you out of this world ;) lol

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 12:02:17 BDT
They're living underground !!

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 12:03:51 BDT
In respect to future Mars mission. When I worked for ford, we were told a fact about the current ford mondeo. It has more sensory and other electrical equipment than the apollo rocket which took a man to the moon.
Cut a few corners here and there, I recon we could do mars for less than 1mil.

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 12:06:14 BDT
Which model ? Cos then we could all go, well, as long as it's not over 7 - gotta have seatbelts on after all. Safety first.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 12:15:31 BDT
Mk4 from 07 plate ---->
Get em for around 5k now. All we would then need is some uranium, a vegetation filtration system and an engine capable of blasting us out of the atmosphere. There are some blueprints online but they are for a delorian, I'm sure a few mods here and there will deliver us something like this:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=space+car&hl=en&biw=1152&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=wMqJ4BxIeRkteM:&imgrefurl=http://www.itechdiary.com/extra-terrestrial-vehicle-car-space-that-is-ready-to-roam-on-the-road.html&docid=2AtvCkX33HgvjM&imgurl=http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq169/ITechDiary/extra_terrestrial_vehicle_1.jpg&w=466&h=264&ei=j_ggUOTfDIiBhQfxr4HADA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=101&vpy=363&dur=4141&hovh=169&hovw=298&tx=122&ty=191&sig=107621978545484438193&page=3&tbnh=109&tbnw=192&start=35&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:35,i:247

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 16:16:25 BDT
I'm with Occam, wont be any now, but previous evidence of ancient microbial life. Though I still think it possible they wont find any at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 16:19:03 BDT
Getting there is not too tricky really, its getting back thats the problem, Oops.

All you'd need yto get there is a big muckle rocket, loads of fuel and loads of food. Landing and surviving when there is tough and getting home pretty tough too.

Good luck, send me a postcard

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 16:25:08 BDT
If Occam is right (which tbh, he normally is) then what would that mean for religion?

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 21:33:36 BDT
Yawnoes....

Posted on 7 Aug 2012 21:58:42 BDT
Spin says:
If it is found that life, of any sort, exists or once existed on Mars, then this means that life exists, and has existed, all over the universe. If life is not unique to the planet we call "Earth", it is a fundamental element in the structure of the cosmos. The question is then what proportion of this life has evolved to the stage of intelligent sentience. If there are intelligent beings out there, then it is at this point that the ontological arguments (not the moral or metaphysical arguments) of abrahamic monotheism (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) has been proven false, although the argument that a deity exists is not, in itself, refuted. However, the point of "Curiosity" is not to refute personal religious belief. It is an exercise, and quite an impressive one, in the human quest for knowledge of this universe and our place in it.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2012 23:19:56 BDT
SPin,

Just for once, and to show I judge each argument as I see it, I entirely agree with you.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2012 07:13:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2012 07:37:40 BDT
"ontological arguments (not the moral or metaphysical arguments) of abrahamic monotheism (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) has been proven false"

Why'd you say that ?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2012 01:07:29 BDT
Spin says:
Kod: Read Genesis, the basis of abrahamic monotheistic ontology and cosmology. To quote Bill Hicks':
Creationist: "I believe God made me in six days"
Hicks: "Yeah, it looks like he rushed it..." =)

Posted on 9 Aug 2012 07:20:55 BDT
I still don't see how life on another planet would disprove religion in any way, be it ontologically, morally or metaphysically; as far as I'm aware the Bible doesn't mention Earth being the only planet with life on.

Posted on 9 Aug 2012 08:38:40 BDT
America, not content with ruining the Earths atmosphere with SUV's they send one to another planet.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2012 10:06:22 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2012 10:13:10 BDT
So America are the only ones to blame for all environmental problems we have and Mars will be ruined by a nuclear powered scaletrix.

Excellent

I am sure the Bible mentions that God created the Earth as the centre of the Universe.
I think we are way beyond realising thats tosh, but finding ancient life on Mars will just add another nail to the coffin of religious histories accuracy.

TBH I think if we proved there was no afterlife, people would still say things like

"I still don't see how no afterlife would disprove religion in any way, be it ontologically, morally or metaphysically;"

Nothing that is ever discovered will change the minds of the religiously indoctrinated, Closed, unimaginative, illogical minds dont like to think.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 28 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  693
Initial post:  7 Aug 2012
Latest post:  21 Jun 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions