Customer Discussions > religion discussion forum

The power of prayer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2013 16:13:06 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2013 16:16:04 GMT
So does Mr Lee see prayer as meditation etc or a supernatural request granting system? A bit like a reality TV contest but with an invisible sky wizard instead of a panel of judges.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2013 12:17:43 GMT
Agreed - prayer can be a form of creative visualisation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_visualization, meditation, or just well-wishing I suppose. It's just that there is always a danger of getting carried away with confirmation bias and thinking there is an actual supernatural favour request system behind it all.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2013 09:45:57 GMT
C. A. Small says:
No it is not important- it is just mumbo - jumbo, and an anachronism in the modern age.

Posted on 30 Mar 2013 09:26:04 GMT
Kitty says:
If you want to read a bit about the power of prayer in what seems now to be such a secular society, check out Alexander Lee's book 'The #Pray4 Principle'. I've just finished reading it, it's inspired by the Twitter #PrayForMuamba campaign following the footballer's collapse on the pitch and continues to ask if prayer is relevant in a secular age. Link below :)

The #Pray4 Principle: Why Prayer is Still Important in a Secular Age

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2013 03:49:12 GMT
light says:
Your'e welcome Kodokushi ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 20:59:59 GMT
Yes, it's a lovely prayer. We had it sung at our wedding, with a solo by the choirmistress's daughter. The older people loved it, but my preference was for a piece by Pachelbel, Canon in D, which the choirmistress decided to draft in an organist for from St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.

We hadn't asked her to do this, and I hardly liked to say that the reason I'd chosen it was because it was the signature piece to a very moving 1970s Australian tv mini-series called Vietnam, starring a very young Nichole Kidman. It had quite an impact on changing attitudes towards the war.

Youtube shows an amusing piece where a comedian complains about the trials and tedium of playing the Canon when you are a cellist, called Pachelbel rant.

Nothing to do with what we are talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 20:14:36 GMT
I like that, thanks for posting it Light =)

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 18:49:44 GMT
Bellatori says:
If that is what rocks your boat then I wish you joy from it...

Posted on 29 Mar 2013 18:39:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2013 18:48:43 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 29 Mar 2013 11:04:28 GMT
TomC says:
"They've shifted the tilt of the earth. The stupid, crazy, irresponsible b******s! They've finally done it. "

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 09:39:50 GMT
Bellatori says:
Thank God (!) for that... my wife said I was starting to turn purple...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 09:37:31 GMT
C. A. Small says:
Probably not.

Posted on 29 Mar 2013 09:23:52 GMT
Bellatori says:
So now there will be a whole barrel load of prayer by the faithful... and what is the expected outcome of all this prayer ? Should I hold my breath?

Posted on 29 Mar 2013 03:18:56 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2013 03:20:54 GMT
light says:
What did Jesus say as he taught people how to pray?

Matthew 6:5-15

Prayer

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

"This, then, is how you should pray:

"`Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.'
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2013 03:09:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2013 03:11:54 GMT
light says:
Hi Diane,

I hope you have a very pleasant Easter Celebration.

As for prayer, ask not what God can do for me, but ask God what I can do for him, for it is in giving that one receives.

Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

Posted on 28 Mar 2013 20:04:37 GMT
Spin says:
Jesus Wept. The forums have come to this? Personal attacks against everyone who contributes? You guys think this your own "Face-tube" page?

Posted on 28 Mar 2013 19:24:42 GMT
Anita says:
Don't know if there's any technical possibility to reply to two posts at once, so, there it is without "reply".

T Green - thank you for welcome. :)

R. Kroell - I prayed for patience, still didn't manage to read much of that, sorry. :)

To be clear - what I honestly think is that to believe or not believe in God is a *very* personal matter, and no one in the world has any right to *order* anyone else: "Believe!" or "Don't believe!" And then, to look for evidence of creator is as stupid as to believe in science. Personally, I don't *believe* in science at all. In science I want proof. Ie I want to *know*, and that has nothing to do with faith. If there's no proof, it's just a hypothesis (or speculation), not theory. May be *very* interesting, still, without proof it's just a hypothesis. On the other hand in God you should believe *without* proof (and, again, you can be one hell of an atheist, but would you deny there are interesting things? Personally, I do like some fairy tales, yes, I do. And mythology is one of the very interesting things too). Hence, to look for proof of God's existence is *against* faith per se...

What I *really* believe in, and very much so, is tolerance. Upon meeting someone religious I would *not* a priori think him as a member of Inquisition (or a paedophil). Upon meeting someone non-religious I likewise would not think of him a priori as of some heartless (almost said "soulless" :) ) bastard. Hence my dislike for all kinds of fanatics.

Does that make me lunatic enough?

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 18:33:40 GMT
Bellatori says:
Loved it.... wow, what a mind... I vote for her as God... it is a democracy isn't it?

Posted on 28 Mar 2013 17:52:39 GMT
R. Kroell says:
Anita:
C. A. had a close Encounter with someone named Anita.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/religion/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx24A4CS3HPMJLK&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3L9I2M9C2Y325

I hope that discussion stays dead, I do not want to wake her up.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 17:04:17 GMT
T. GREEN says:
From one complete lunatic to possibly another, welcome Anita.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 16:30:06 GMT
Pendragon says:
Anita Meyer was the architect of the "Evidence for a Creator - the support will surprise you... " thread. Many people had a lot of fun on that thread - including, I am sure, Anita Meyer!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 16:25:31 GMT
Anita says:
Sorry, overlap

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 16:24:17 GMT
Anita says:
The "invisibility mantra" (it can be anything) can make you less nervous and you just go in as if you belong there instead of betraying yourself by trembling and hesitating on a doorstep. In fact it's nothing even paranormal in this case. But if someone wants to make any theories of that, so why not, none of my business

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 16:22:52 GMT
Garscadden says:
Really? You surprise me - and I'm not trying to be CWB-mad here. I think this is a fairly normal, non-spiritual thing, where we just concentrate hard enough to affect _ourselves_ and change how we act.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2013 16:20:39 GMT
C. A. Small says:
Er, no.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the religion discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important Announcement from Amazon
151 25 days ago
The evidence for God is overwhelming, those who perish misinterpret it 1064 3 hours ago
Would the issue of Divorce and remarriage within the roman Catholic church be remedied if the Orthodox view of remarrige was adopted 37 4 hours ago
Just A Crazy Christian in support of The Amazon Religious Discussion Forum 90 4 hours ago
Could You Even Recognize The End Times? 2106 5 hours ago
What do the next fifty years holds for the Western Western World? And more importantly , why? 34 6 hours ago
Happy Easter? 89 11 hours ago
The Apostle's Creed 345 12 hours ago
The descent of the moderns... the journey to modern insanity. 415 12 hours ago
Has the Gay agenda succedeed it's deception?. 3595 12 hours ago
Proving a negative 179 1 day ago
Wayne's World of Ven Diagrams 286 1 day ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums
ARRAY(0xa99c9594)

This discussion

Discussion in:  religion discussion forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  27 Mar 2013
Latest post:  30 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions