Customer Discussions > printer discussion forum

Economical printer and ink use

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 65 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2012 17:02:32 BDT
If you get your ink carts from TESCO and they don't work you can take them back and get them changed or a refund.
The compatable carts from some of these other online sources can be a problem I know from experience and you can waste your money.
I now pop down to Tesco buy one pack and use them instead of using the online providers. Its easier and more cost effective.

Posted on 17 May 2012 18:12:35 BDT
Fleur says:
I find the inks from Tescos are very expensive and get mine individually as I need them via Amazon. The light cyan and light magenta run out far more quickly than the other colours so it is more convenient to buy separately rather than a complete pack of six, even though this saves some money. I have tried various compatible inks but they are not recognised in my Epson printer and clog it up, so that I spend ages de-coking it before I can print anything.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 May 2012 18:40:05 BDT
Fizban says:
I have an Epson P50 and compatibles from Jet Tec work just fine!
Rick

Posted on 21 May 2012 19:49:30 BDT
pogoref says:
I have an Epson Stylus Colour 760 and the compatible inks work fine.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 17:27:13 BDT
Fleur says:
Thanks for your e-mail. I have an Epson Stylus PHOTO R360 and I have tried several compatible inks, but none of them work. The printer either will not recognise them and repeats the message 'replace ink cartridge' or the printing result is all the wrong colours and blotchy and I have to spend ages cleaning the print heads before I can use the printer again.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 21:40:19 BDT
Fleur buy a TESCO cartridge if it works its not expensive is it? If it doesn't work take it back with your receipt and get your refund.
Thats less expensive than buying carts that don't work at all isn't it.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2012 19:12:43 BDT
Fleur says:
Thank you. I am actually very wary of using any compatible cartridges now because when I have tried several different sorts, my printer refuses to work and becomes stuck and I have such trouble getting it sorted out.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 16:07:06 BDT
John Penny says:
I have an Epson SX435W 5months old. I replaced the carts with compats without success.I am tempted to return printer because it is still under warranty. Any
suggestions what printer to buy. Mostly used for photos.It is also very slow.!!
many thanks
John (Devon)

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 16:56:12 BDT
I used to have Canon until I had a problem and the cost to have it put right was more than the cost of a new printer. So I looked around what to get as a replacement.
I settled on a cheap HP printer scanner because if that packs up I can scrap it and buy another new. It was easy to instal and cartidges are easily obtainable at a reasonable price. So far so good!

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 15:28:22 BDT
John Fox says:
Economical printer and ink use

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 11:34:17 BDT
norbs121 says:
Don't buy a lexmark.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 11:37:44 BDT
norbs121 says:
Epson's have their print heads fixed inside the printer they certainly do not have them in the cartridge. This way they can rip you off if the get clogged by returning the printer for a service.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2012 11:38:22 BDT
norbs121 says:
Same here.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jul 2012 11:59:17 BDT
Compatible cartridges from 'StinkyInk' works fine with my Stylus D120N and I have been using these compatible cartridges for the last two years- lot cheaper than the Epson ones..

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2012 18:18:56 BDT
norbs121 says:
Thanks for the useful info.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2012 20:19:04 BDT
R. Boyd says:
get the jettec ink it is the best one to use on epson

Posted on 19 Aug 2012 17:57:05 BDT
Bilbo says:
I have a Canon IP4500 and it has been absolutely super using compatible ink which has saved me a clean fortune as I print training manuals for my business. After every 4-5 replacements I run an original ink cartridge through the printer just to try and keep it fluid so to speak.

After 2 years of use the print head started playing up and gave a poor print quality result and I had purchase a replacement print head for 50 online - I'm up and running again with compatibles installed without any problems.

Long may it continue.

BTW I buy my ink from Inkredible http://www.inkredible.co.uk/

Regards

Drew

PS. I found Epson printers to be rubbish at using compatibles.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Oct 2012 20:36:38 BDT
I have an Epson SX445w. It is on sale in many shops for 40. 3 in 1 printer with wifi which accepts compatibles. I buy from IJT at 4 each (using 50% off "code" - ring them if necessary! That is for the larger ink volume which is more cost effective.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2012 14:15:40 BDT
you must be joking .am in the process of sending them back

Posted on 19 Oct 2012 14:50:15 BDT
norbs121 says:
Got rid of my Epson PX820 after clearing the printhead i can't be bothered to go through that process again. I bought a dell colour laser printer and the cost of ink is quite reasonable and plenty of sellers to choose from. Never buying Epson again.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2012 19:26:45 GMT
L Jonker says:
I would recommend purchasing a monochrome laser jet (I am pleased with my Lexmark E232 which I've used for years). If you need to print the occasional photo then just use an online merchant for that purpose. Cheaper and less of a headache.

In addition I would ask the charity that you do the work for to subsidise you (surely there's no harm in them going halves and using some of the charitable funds? After all, you have to speculate to accumulate, even in the world of charity (Oxfam et al have no problem ripping people off in their shops!)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2012 16:29:51 GMT
I. A. Powys says:
My Epson Stylus PHOTO R 360 will accept and use 'compatibles' but the screen does not show you, when you come to print, whether the cartridge is full /half full / empty - as it does with Epson cartridges
Anyone solved this problem - with Epson ??

Posted on 18 Jan 2013 20:38:59 GMT
alex kent says:
if you want lower ink costs. buy a more expensive printer. the bigger printers allow bigger cartridges which cost relatively less.

an extreme example to make the point;
ink cartridge for the big Epson Sylus Pro 4880 are 220ml ink each for ~60. 27pence per ml.
Epson 220ml Ink Cartridge for Stylus Pro 48XX - Light Cyan
ink cartridge for the small Epson Expression Premium XP-600 are 4.7ml for ~9. 191pence per ml.
Epson Polar Bear 26 Ink Cartridge - Photo Black

ink for the bigun' is 1/7 the price of the little one. but the big printer costs 2000 and the little one costs 100.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2013 13:04:29 GMT
M. J. Cronin says:
Sir I Two have an epson p50 printer and use compatable cartridges in it as well as refillables.
My printer is two years old. But did you know that epson have changed the chip inside the
p50 so it will only except there own cartridges and not compatables, Very sneeky .
I was warned of this not to up grade there hard ware.
Other than that I think you may be stuck to only useing epsons cart's
UNLESS you can find an independent company to reset the chip. I found one to reset my printer
and only charge me 15 to do this for me in just afew days. EPSON CHARGE 65.00 To do the
same thing.And thats not including carrage. I Hope this is some help. Martin.bridgend glam.South Wales.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 21:48:47 GMT
David says:
Hi just passing. Have a look here www.inksaver.com
I've used it for years.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the printer discussion forum (32 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  printer discussion forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  27 Sep 2010
Latest post:  22 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions