Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

How Did the U.S. End Up Such A Slave to Bad Politicians and a Manipulative Media?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 607 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Sep 2013 18:07:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2013 18:09:56 BDT
It starts with our dismal education system:

1) Critical thinking skills are not prized, thus there is only lackluster interest in important STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) subjects. (If you can't form a hypothesis, and work toward proving or disproving it, you'll never make it in any science career, let alone have any appreciation for the "connectedness" of nature and the universe.)

2) We teach too many subjects in isolated boxes. The Ivy League schools a few years ago experimented with overlapping Intro Courses for freshmen, showing how various disciplines overlapped and were interconnected. Freshmen reportedly had a better grasp of each subject, and could make better informed decisions on what to major in.

3) Our teacher training for K-12 is not that great, and even teaching graduates bemoan not having had more "hands on" experience before getting their first classroom.

4) Overseas teachers, especially in the Orient, have rigorous training and mentors for years. Teachers are also highly respected in those countries, and parents are fully involved to encourage their kids.

5) University/college instructors are a mixed bag in the U.S. Too many tenured-professors have never worked a day of their life in what they teach, so all they can teach is "theory". And graduates are saddled with thirty year loans for degrees that in no way prepare them to even start an entry-level job in that field.

6) Some people argue that university professors are only supposed to teach "theory", and let the companies hiring the grads mold them into "ideal employees" based on their corporate mantra. But the reality is, businesses don't have time to teach grads how to do a job they already have a degree in. And employers complain bitterly that graduates (even law graduates) don't have Clue One about how to perform a day-to-day job right out of college.

7) And our graduate schools are nothing but bastions of totally unrealistic Liberalism. They are now pushing the "currently attractive theory" that facts are irrelevant - that the narrative is what's really important. This disregard for the Truth shows up in everything, from our worthless lamestream media, to politicians as outright liars just "pushing/molding the narrative".

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/06/11/tenets_of_liberal_education_underpin_govt_abuses_118760.html
TENETS OF LIBERAL EDUCATION UNDERPIN U.S. GOVERNMENT
ABUSES
They teach that "Knowledge is socially constructed, and therefore the narrative is all."

Powerful article!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 18:25:57 BDT
Excellent comment Ms Martin.

Completely agree with your critique of modern Western education.

I was fortunate to be the recipient of what today would be looked down upon as a 'Victorian' education in the 1950/60s; but compared with today's brainwashed conformists, I feel genuinely privileged to have been educated in the manner that I was.

Posted on 9 Sep 2013 18:33:22 BDT
What's K-12?

And what of the 75% of the US population who are untainted by its higher education system...are they able to use their critical thinking skills?

Posted on 9 Sep 2013 18:57:23 BDT
C. W. Bradbury -
Thank you. I too was raised in an earlier time, before they dumped History and Civics, among other subjects crucial to turning out a well-rounded citizen who could think for themselves.

Another crucial point, at least in the U.S., was the rise of "after-school sports" around the 1970s/80s. Instead of staying after school to practice sports, suddenly (in the U.S) there were these huge soccer/football and baseball leagues, where boys especially spent hours every evening and most weekends playing sports. (And little girls spent the same amount of time and stress in gymnastics.)

A little of that is fine. But I've seen kids burned-out on these after-school marathon sports, coming home too exhausted to do homework. And I've heard of kids who finally have a free evening or weekend and are totally lost, without a clue about how to entertain themselves without such "life management."

The upshot of all these marathon-sports, is that lots of young people today in the U.S. are "team players". This may be a positive in a corporate setting, but studies have shown that these same young people have problems with self-motivation and being self-starters, and lack any sense of true individualism. Let alone being capable of innovative thought, and the rigors of following-thru to actually achieve something.

So the younger "team player" generations are more into Group-Think, their politics shaped by manipulator-friends and the lamestream media. We elected a President in 2008 based only on his oratory skills and idealistic speeches - despite his total lack of any management, leadership or problem-solving skills.

(That's why I was lobbying hard in the U.S. Amazon forums - before I was banned - for both the Democrats and Republicans to start grooming state governors for eventual runs for President. We can't afford anymore "orators with scrubbed pasts" like Obama ...)

Posted on 9 Sep 2013 18:57:32 BDT
Which part of the USA are you referring to?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 19:06:45 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Sep 2013 19:07:31 BDT
Gordan -

K-12 is shorthand for Kindergarten-thru-12th-grade schooling.

And Yes, you are correct, only 27.2% of American workers have an advanced degree:

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/edu_bac_deg_or_hig_by_per-bachelor-s-degree-higher-percentage
PERCENTAGE OF COLLEGE DEGREES BY STATE

But there are other ways to learn "critical thinking skills" than in school. The simplest concept, which all parents should teach their kids, is the very crucial understanding that "All Actions Have Consequences." (Or, as they say on the street, "If you can't do the time - don't do the crime!")

Even playing sports teaches kids the logic of cause-and-effect, or training, correcting, training more, and so on. And here's a great article on how to raise a "problem-solving" child - praise what they do/accomplish, rather than just praise who they are:

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-child-problem-solvers-20130212,0,6409940.story

HOW TO RAISE CHILDREN WHO ARE PROBLEM-SOLVERS
"Parents who want to raise children who are good at solving problems should watch how they hand out praise to their toddlers, researchers said Tuesday. Praising little ones for their efforts - rather than for being who they are - helped make them problem-solvers who think success results from hard work five years later..."

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 19:11:30 BDT
Simon -

All of the U.S.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 19:14:27 BDT
One-Because you voted.
Two-Because all communication is manipulative.

Posted on 9 Sep 2013 19:16:32 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 10 Sep 2013 08:21:54 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 19:29:27 BDT
Nosey.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 20:42:09 BDT
Ryan, Now I can see you're trying to play nicely with Marilyn. Well done. Keep it up.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2013 00:55:28 BDT
Pipkin says:
And here's the troll's side kick. Who never has ANYTHING to say.....
EVER!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2013 11:19:04 BDT
easytiger says:
Was it Wyan Williams, the liberal who can't post without mentioning the BNP and would like everybody locked up for re-education?

Posted on 10 Sep 2013 16:28:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Sep 2013 16:43:28 BDT
Another reason I was banned from the American Amazon discussions, is that I have been highly critical of Hillary Clinton. Despite her hoping for American amnesia - and relying on her lamestream media lapdogs to trumpet her 2016 presumed-presidential run at every turn - she has left a damning trail of death and destruction during her four years as Sec. of State:

http://americaswatchtower.com/2013/05/21/benghazi-whistleblower-to-claim-hillary-clinton-gave-stinger-missiles-to-al-qaeda/
BENGHAZI WHISTLEBLOWER TO CLAIM HILLARY CLINTON GAVE STINGER MISSILES TO LIBYAN AL QAEDA
She was trying to "get Khaddafi on the cheap," even tho' the CIA had advised her not to do this, because it could quickly get out of hand. Which is exactly what happened.

By 2012, Khaddafi was gone, and Hillary had to tidy things up in Libya, where the Stinger Missiles were rapidly being repurposed and sent to Syrian rebels. She personally installed Ambassador Stevens in Benghazi to buy back what remaining Stingers he could.

Although she and her State Dept. proxies continually refused Stevens' requests for adequate protection (he's just a MAN, after all). When things blew up on Sept. 11, 2012, the honorable General Ham, head of AFRICOM, tried to respond to Ambassador Steven's cries for help. He was ordered to "stand down" - then summarily replaced on the spot! He subsequently retired.

Posted on 10 Sep 2013 16:41:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Sep 2013 17:08:02 BDT
But in the current U.S. - Land of Bad Politicians and Manipulative Media - Hillary is now spouting off about Syria like she's the presumptive-next-president trying to goad Obama into attacking. (Well, she has given a lot of Stingers to the U.S.-trained rebels, after all.)

http://friendsofsyria.co/2012/08/14/hillary-clinton-arming-al-qaeda-with-anti-aircraft-missiles/
(August 2012) HILLARY CLINTON ARMING AL QAEDA WITH ANTI-AIRCRAFT MISSILES
A month before the Benghazi blow-up, this claims Hillary was more active in "repurposing" the Stinger Missiles she'd initially given Libyan, by showing up in Turkey, than has previously been revealed.

So first she "gives" Stinger Missiles to Libyan al-Qaeda, puts a doomed Ambassador in Benghazi to try and buy the remnants back, then jumps on board as the Stingers head to Syria thru Turkey. People died in Benghazi, and the cover-stories are still spinning.

But now, with the U.S. at the attack-brink with Syria, Ms. Meddler just can't stay out of the limelight:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/09/hillary-clinton-supports-white-house-on-syria/
HILLARY GOES TO WHITE HOUSE FOR FORUM ON WILDLIFE TRAFFICKING - TALKS UP SUPPORT FOR OBAMA ON SYRIA ATTACK

Bet you didn't know that Stinger Missiles could fit under "wildlife trafficking"!

Posted on 10 Sep 2013 17:06:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Sep 2013 17:13:32 BDT
And the Hillary Soap Opera rolls on, in the Land of Bad Politicians and Manipulative Media....

Hillary's "assistant/chief of staff/second in command" for about 15 years now, is Huma Abedin. Huma is so special to Hillary, that not only was Huma making $155,000 with benefits at the State Department (before they both resigned in February 2013), but Hillary even declared Huma a "special government employee", which enabled Huma to pursue other lucrative "consulting" jobs - while still on the government payroll. Does "conflict of interest" ring a bell?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/19/weiner-wife-and-clinton-confidante-huma-abedin-mum-on-potential-job-conflict-at-state-department/
WEINER WIFE AND CLINTON CONFIDANTE HUMA ABEDIN MUM ON POTENTIAL JOB CONFLICT AT STATE DEPARTMENT

Huma quickly became a "consultant" for Teneo, (owned by a friend of Bill Clinton, who sits on the board), earning an eye-popping additional $355,000 a year. Huma also worked for the Bill Clinton Foundation and was a personal employee of Hillary's at the same time. Congress is suddenly veeeeeery interested in Huma's quadruple-dipping jobs - while on the State Dept. payroll.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/nyregion/questions-on-the-dual-role-of-a-clinton-aide-persist.html?_r=0
QUESTIONS ON DUAL ROLE OF A CLINTON AIDE PERSIST

Oh - and did I mention that Huma is married to New York Mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner? (Yes, the same Weiner who left Congress due to his weiner sexting controversy.) She's been a staunch supporter during his tanking mayoral campaign, while also working part-time at Hillary's New York offices.

Sounds a little odd, but just consider: Huma could potentially end up both wife of the next New York Mayor AND second-in-command to the next President in the White House! Only in the Land of Bad Politicians and Manipulative Media known as America ...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/article/Public-service-and-pocket-stuffing-Clinton-4747041.php
(Aug. 2013) PUBLIC SERVICE AND POCKET STUFFING - CLINTON STYLE

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2013 21:10:57 BDT
easytiger says:
Erm, did zon US happen to mention anything about space?

Posted on 11 Sep 2013 14:43:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Sep 2013 14:45:02 BDT
easytiger - I have no idea what you are talking about.

Just when I think "What next?" from our petty, incompetent, trainwreck U.S. government, headlines/stories like these assure me that all the wrong people are still running our government:

http://www.moneynews.com/newswidget/Debt-Default-Limit-Deadline/2013/09/10/id/524817?promo_code=125C2-1&utm_source=125C2Washington_Times&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1
U.S. COULD DEFAULT AS EARLY AS OCTOBER 18 - SOCIAL SECURITY AND MILITARY PENSIONS PAYMENTS WOULD STOP

http://www.wqow.com/story/23378166/minn-gay-marriage-law-causes-prisoner-dilemma
MINNESOTA TO LET IMPRISONED GAY SEX OFFENDERS MARRY

http://washingtonexaminer.com/independents-2-1-trust-gop-more-than-dems-on-national-security/article/2535550
INDEPENDENT VOTERS TRUST REPUBLICANS 2-TO-1 MORE THAN DEMOCRATS ON NATIONAL SECURITY
Too bad we're in Year 5 with a Democratic Administration

Posted on 11 Sep 2013 14:55:42 BDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/opinion/commentary/article/Public-service-and-pocket-stuffing-Clinton-4747041.php
(Aug. 2013) PUBLIC SERVICE AND POCKET STUFFING - CLINTON STYLE

Under Fire: The Untold Story of the Attack in Benghazi

The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party

Posted on 11 Sep 2013 16:05:15 BDT
Garscadden says:
This may be considered rude - and it is kind of intended that way. But why are you spamming us with rubbish about US politics?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2013 08:05:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Sep 2013 09:05:00 BDT
Garscadden asks:- "why are you spamming us with rubbish about US politics?"

Has BBC propaganda really blinded you so completely to the reality of what's going on around you Garscadden???

Due to Obama's gross incompetence/grave mishandling of the international situation, China gained economic/military control of Iran's oil reserves in 2012.

Iranian oil (Approx. 25% of world reserves/40% of Western supplies) is critical to the continued functioning of the Western economies; without them the West will soon be reduced to 'Third World' status/living conditions.

The only way this can now be done is by force; which is why Obama is desperate to attack Syria. Iran is bound by treaty to assist Syria against military attack/invasion, which opens the door to an American attack on Iran. See Wikipedia article below for confirmation:-

Iran-Syria relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Syria_relations
On 16 June 2006 the defence ministers of Iran and Syria signed an agreement for military cooperation against what they called the "common threats" presented ...

By contrast, China is overjoyed with the new economic situation, which has transferred America's previous economic/military advantages to China. So, in concert with Russia, China has deployed 90,000 combat troops/400 tanks and 400 strike aircraft to Iran as a deterrent against American invasion. See Wikipedia article below for confirmation:-

Iran claim: China to send 12 warships to join Russian fleet at major ...
www.worldtribune.com/.../iran-claim-china-to-send-12-warships-to-join-...
20 Jun 2012 - sources," said 90,000 soldiers from China, Iran, Russia and Syria would ... Russia and Iran plan to deploy aircraft carriers, destroyers and ... air stages of the maneuvers would include 400 combat aircraft and 1,000 main battle tanks. ... Russia sent ships to evacuate its citizens from Syria ahead of U.S. strike ...

It's for this reason that Obama asked Cameron for backing in event of war in Syria recently. Cameron (wisely in my opinion) rigged the Parliamentary vote and 'lost'; which means the UK will not be involved 'yet?' in what might easily develop into a thermo-nuclear war, between the US and a Chinese/Russia/Islamic alliance.

British Parliament Votes Against Military Intervention In Syria
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../british-parliament-syria-vote_n_3839067.ht...
29 Aug 2013 - LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron lost a vote endorsing military action against Syria by 13 votes Thursday, a stunning defeat ...

As to your own obvious ignorance of the most critically dangerous diplomatic confrontation since August/September 1939; I really suggest that you start looking beyond the BBC for your information on the current world crisis.

Were you to do so, you wouldn't feel the need to ask ludicrously nave questions like:- "why are you spamming us with rubbish about US politics?"

Those 'US politics' you dismiss so casually may yet be responsible for American garrisons on British soil, coming under atomic attack in the next few hours/days?

UNLESS Obama backs down.

Which would mean the World has a 'de facto' new superpower.

China.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2013 09:47:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Sep 2013 09:49:04 BDT
Garscadden says:
See - at least you have given some opinion and thoughts, rather than just copy/pasting stuff and thinking a good job were being done.

I do think it is quite amusing the assumptions you make about people, but hey. And the fact that a war in Syria / Iran makes you all excited says a lot about your character.

If China wants to it can destroy the USA economy in moments, no military intervention required. *That* is potentially the most dangerous situation in the world since the Cuban missile crisis. The cessation of a potential military intervention *possibly* causes the USA more problems due to the military / industrial infrastructure not having a target, which potentially causes the USA administration problems both in funding and income.

You seem woefully lacking in knowledge about the situation - but then you think you would enjoy a 'Death of Grass' type scenario, which also says a lot about you.

[EDIT - fixed one typo - there are probably more...]

Posted on 12 Sep 2013 12:02:57 BDT
Charlieost says:
Nothing to do with the USA education system but I was reading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole last night and I was trying to think who the main character in the book reminded me of. And then the penny dropped. It is Simon. Here is a description from Wiki:

Dunces is a picaresque novel featuring the misadventures of protagonist Ignatius J. Reilly, a lazy, obese, misanthropic, self-styled scholar who lives at home with his mother.

Down to a T. C

Posted on 12 Sep 2013 12:50:11 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Sep 2013 12:51:22 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2013 15:57:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Sep 2013 15:58:22 BDT
Garscadden -

Per my other discussion, I've been banned from Amazon discussion forums due to being "spiteful". Although the psycho-trolls (principally Ronald Craig) who stalked me from forum to forum to do nothing but spam personal ridicule after my every post in every forum - are free to go on being cyber-menaces.

So my bannishment from American Amazon obviously has nothing to do with "breaking their posting rules" - which Ronald Craig does hourly - so I could only surmise that I was really banned for vocally opposing the potential war with Syria.

So, since there was already a UK-started discussion in this forum on Syria, I started this and another discussion to post the same articles that got me banned in the American Amazon. People deserve to know the Truth.

I am posting here for the more interested and informed British posters, and any American citizens currently/temporarily in the UK. Due to your trollish comments, Garscadden, you can stop reading my discussions at any time, since they appear to be too direct for your overly sensitive nature.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  607
Initial post:  9 Sep 2013
Latest post:  9 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions