Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Are the amazon moderators over-sensitive?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Nov 2011 09:26:31 GMT
C. A. Small says:
Anyone else fed up with the moderators?

Posted on 5 Nov 2011 10:10:25 GMT
gille liath says:
I'm a little irritated by their inconsistency, as we were dicussing on 'Forum News'.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2011 17:27:16 GMT
Molly Brown says:
Not regarding some of your posts, not at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2011 20:16:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Nov 2011 20:16:50 GMT
gille liath says:
Molly, hope you didn't misunderstand my post the other day? It wasn't what you said yourself that was 'the last straw' - it was what you quoted from the protesters. I agreed with what you said. How can you take people seriously whose aim is that everybody live like the fat cats?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 05:38:43 GMT
Molly Brown says:
A bit, as I thought you thought I thought like that? We don't want no fat cats anymore, we want to all be fit and healthy cats, I quoted from the Occupy Britain site, the more ambitious and not so clever group. Hope you didn't object to my post about you being a woose?
:-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 12:47:00 GMT
gille liath says:
Humph! I didn't see it, actually. What's a 'woose'? Anything to do with Ian Woosnam?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 13:15:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2011 13:42:03 GMT
G. Stevens says:
gille liath says:
I'm a little irritated by their inconsistency, as we were dicussing on 'Forum News'.
---
We need to understand what it is to be a moderator on Amazon.
It is unlikely to have been anyone's first choice. It is the sort of job you fall into when doing a general search at the job centre, 'People required to read posts on discussion site and delete according to keyword list or number of complaints. No previous experience or education required, no requirement to understand content. Like being a traffic warden but without the bad weather and no being spat on'

Even more than discussing with Paul we are talking to ourselves here, no moderator is listening.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 13:20:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2011 13:20:45 GMT
gille liath says:
"Like being a traffic warden but without the bad weather and no being spat on"

Put it like that, it doesn't sound so bad...

I know nobody's listening but I don't understand the rationale, if any, behind deciding what to delete and what to leave. Don't get me wrong, I don't care that much either - only people keep asking.

Posted on 6 Nov 2011 13:47:33 GMT
G. Stevens says:
gille liath says:
I know nobody's listening but I don't understand the rationale, if any,
---

I doubt that it is a very sophisticated system, just minimally trained people being told to look for non specific meanness, rude words or 'blasphamy'.
I think the people asking should probably move on, Amazons aren't listerning to arguments, they have set the system up so that they don't have to, the curse of email and no phone number, a trick used by many organisations today. Including Origin/EA who wont tell me how I can get the right username to be able to use my game online and that is far, far more important than arguments about the origins of various fairy tales.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 14:12:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2011 14:13:55 GMT
gille liath says:
I'm sure - why argue about their origins when you can participate in them? Are you Prince Charming, or Rumpelstiltskin?

I agree with your diagnosis. It's ironic how the rise of 'interactivity' means it's become impossible to actually interact with anyone in authority.

Aha! Are the forums a conspiracy - a safety valve to allow the masses to blow off ineffectual steam? It's all sinister plot by 'them'...

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 14:19:54 GMT
G. Stevens says:
gille liath says:
I'm sure - why argue about their origins when you can participate in them? Are you Prince Charming, or Rumpelstiltskin?
---

I like to think a sort of rumpled Prince Charming.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 17:56:34 GMT
C. A. Small says:
What ho- as someone who had a load of stuff removed, I queried it and got a very fair reply, with examples of my transgreessions!

I still think they should s*d off, but at least they did answer me.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 18:24:01 GMT
G. Stevens says:
C. A. Small says:
What ho- as someone who had a load of stuff removed, I queried it and got a very fair reply, with examples of my transgreessions!

I still think they should s*d off, but at least they did answer me.
---

Then I take it all back. Well, some of it. I'm surprised.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 20:31:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Nov 2011 20:36:38 GMT
monica says:
C.A., rather than pretending not to care and then using a phrase like 'people keep asking' about reasons for deletion, I'll admit to being dead curious. What reasons did amazon give for deleting your posts? and did they give you a list of transgressions that would lead to posts being deleted? Cheers.

'A sort of rumpled Prince Charming' is a very fetching phrase. Can't help picturing dithery & distracted chap who nonetheless can reel off an ode by Horace in the original and wearing a tweed jacket threadbare at the cuffs who nonetheless belongs to one of the better clubs . . .

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2011 22:23:16 GMT
gille liath says:
Pardon me for living! But speak for yourself. Personally I'm mildly curious at most.

I do seem to be putting peoples' noses out of joint at the mo. What've I done this time?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Nov 2011 09:24:38 GMT
G. Stevens says:
monica says:
Can't help picturing dithery & distracted chap who nonetheless can reel off an ode by Horace in the original and wearing a tweed jacket threadbare at the cuffs who nonetheless belongs to one of the better clubs . . .
---

I'm afraid I'd be a bit of a disapointment then. No tweed, little Latin. I used to get lunchtime access to The Bluebird Club as part of my Brooklands membership, does that count? And I'm not at all, er, ah, oh hang on...

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 17:50:10 GMT
Lessfatman says:
UK site did not delete my post about Iran's nuclear facilities whereas on the US site it disappeared in 30 seconds.
Honestly, I cannot see it any more flammable than the murderous toxic drool excreted by some lowlifes here on non-believers.
Maybe my crime was not lying even when given the chance.
I am getting a bit scary idea of Mommamazon.
I'd like to know if Bezos knows about this. I'd be surprised.

Posted on 7 Nov 2011 20:26:02 GMT
monica says:
gille liath, apology offered elsewhere but should like to make it clear here that I was being facetious, not getting at you.

G. Stevens, googled Brooklands & Bluebird Club and apparently Brooklands is a good place to buy ties of the sort that Alan Partridge gave away on Knowing Me, Knowing you. And the Bluebird Club from its forum site seems a good place to discuss topics in one of the languages of southeast Asia, I'm guessing from the strange script on it. I really can't think of a fairy-tale character suggested by that information. A wicked stepmother might I suppose be looking for illicit encounters with underage Thais in Chelsea & might buy those ties as Christmas presents, I suppose, but that's stretching it.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Nov 2011 22:18:34 GMT
G. Stevens says:
monica says:
G. Stevens, googled Brooklands & Bluebird Club and apparently Brooklands is a good place to buy ties of the sort that Alan Partridge gave away
---

The Home of British Motorsport. Stuck in a 20s timewarp, and none the worse for it, but the average age of the memebrship is in 3 figures. Many of the members have pacemakers older than me.
The Bluebird Club has apparently gone downhill in the last few years. I couldn't really say as I didn't take advantage of the option when I was a Brookland member. It sounds as if it might be Celebritydiscodave's scene more than mine. I'll stick to women two thirds my age, they usually have good cooking skills and an air of desperation that I find suits my pulling ability very well.

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 17:58:09 GMT
S Wood says:
The moderators do seem overly sensitive. I've recently been informed that i am danger of being ex-communicated for my "many recent spiteful posts". One of which (i asked and got examples) was aimed at one of those posters who speak in baby gibberish and whom i bluntly suggested should leave the forum was perhaps fair enough. But the other was a blunt response to Worst Aim Ever's suggestion that the tents of the london protestors should be torched was (in my humble opinion) an entirely appropriate response and the alleged spite was certainly in the original post. Anyone had similar experiences? I notice that the forum has been quiet over the last few days. . . Perhaps there's not many posters left standing?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2011 19:58:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Nov 2011 20:10:08 GMT
gille liath says:
How do.

I saw both those posts of yours. On the religion forum they'd hardly have been noticed. You've got me a little worried...

Mind you, it wouldn't be a bad thing if they got us all to be a little nicer to each other - but it's like refereeing: you have to be consistent about it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 02:43:42 GMT
nephran says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 06:55:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Nov 2011 06:56:36 GMT
Molly Brown says:
SW - How come Worst.Aim.Ever's post wasn't also deleted? It's still there, advocating setting light to the Protesters Camp outside St. Paul's, I also made a comment about it, but my post is still there.

Posted on 19 Nov 2011 08:21:35 GMT
Lessfatman says:
obviously nobody's reported abuse on the post

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 08:29:33 GMT
Molly Brown says:
Yet?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  5 Nov 2011
Latest post:  20 Aug 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions