Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Mick Philpot and his seventeen children.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 275 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2013 15:57:26 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Not so much a u-turn, more an ever increasing rotation until he disintegrates!

Posted on 7 Apr 2013 16:05:50 BDT
Spin says:
There is a difference between criticising the welfare state and criticising those on welfare, something forgotten by those who allocate blame for economic collapse on those not involved in the financial manipulations and deceit of those who issue so-called "benefits".

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2013 16:37:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Apr 2013 16:43:35 BDT
Spin, this post doesn't make sense.

You're making it up again. Trying to wriggle off the hook you've embedded yourself on?

Who's blaming those on benefits for the financial crisis?

Yes, Philpott's benefits were not so called they were very REAL, he called them his 'entitlements'. Equivalent of 100k a year before PAYE NI and IT.

Those on welfare who are feckless deserve criticism, the system deserves even more criticism for giving them the opportunity to live at the community's expense. Apparently over 650,000 of those on incapacity benefits have not bothered to apply for reassessment under the new more stringent rules.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2013 16:43:01 BDT
Like the ozulum bird that flies backwards, SPINing in ever diminishing circles until it disappears up its own bum. If only...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2013 16:52:22 BDT
Pipkin says:
I second that...

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2013 18:22:02 BDT
Charlieost says:
No Gordon, not all psychopaths are on benefits. Some are on extremely high wages with bonuses even if they do not do their job properly. There are a few in the army, (Philpot was for a while) and I can vouch for the odd psychopath being in the army, we used to call them army barmy. Judging by the pictures on the news the North Korean army is full of them and that glorious leader of theirs certainly looks a bit psycho and the NK news reader looks mental. Hitler and Stalin were psychopaths and I guess we should consider ourselves lucky Philpot never entered politics during a time of deep recession. He would certainly have been able to up his score from six (known).

Posted on 7 Apr 2013 18:24:59 BDT
Charlieost says:
Yay. Margaret is back with her second. Can't imagine what round it must be by now. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Apr 2013 18:33:17 BDT
I know, they are everywhere, many of them in top jobs.

Posted on 9 Apr 2013 09:16:26 BDT
Dan Fante says:
I wonder what will cost the taxpayer more - Mick Philpot's lifestyle and its consequences or Thatcher's funeral.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 09:46:53 BDT
Mick was only a one off in that he set fire to the house and in doing so killed 6 of his children. There are hundreds of thousands of people living, like Mick, their entire lives on benefit. They cost taxpayers at least 10 bn a year.

Posted on 9 Apr 2013 09:53:28 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 9 Apr 2013 09:53:37 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 13:04:54 BDT
Charlieost says:
Hi Gordon. What do you think the people on benefits spend their money on? Do you think that their money goes abroad or into tax havens?

No. Most of the money is spent locally and benefits the local community. It keeps shops open and people employed. And eventually finds its way back to goverment through the various tax systems.

All benefits do is help the less well off and marginalised and then get re-cycled back into the system. That is what goverment money does and people like you are a little slow (deliberately perhaps) to understand this.

Double em I say, increase the tax on the top earners to pay for it and keep the money in the country. And if the top earners squeek and leave the country then replace them. There is always someone who will want their job and will probably be able to do it better for less pay.

But that's not the Tory way is it Gordon. Makes sense for local communities but none to the bolly drinkers. C

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 15:29:57 BDT
Charlie,

OK so let's double, quadruple, octuple benefits across the board. What do you say?

Posted on 9 Apr 2013 15:49:21 BDT
C. A. Small says:
Your real name isn't Ed Balls is it?

Posted on 9 Apr 2013 19:16:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2013 20:12:50 BDT
Charlie,

They tried that in the 70s: it failed miserably. Punitive taxation doesn't bring in more money for the government: It creates more tax exiles. Then everyone else's taxes have to go up to plug the gap. Stick taxes up too high, and you kill off enterprise and the incentive to both earn and create wealth.

Like it or not, an economy that drives out wealth creators is an economy that tanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 21:16:54 BDT
Coooeeeee!!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 21:23:04 BDT
The Funtoy calls, he wants to come out and play.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 22:18:57 BDT
Charlieost says:
Hi Gordon. That's not such a good idea cus they might all start going off on foreign holidays and then the money would flow out of the country. I am just saying that benefit money remains within the country and eventually finds its way back to the goverment through tax. C

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 22:19:49 BDT
Charlieost says:
Hi Clive. No I am not Ed Balls. I just wish the Labour party had some. C

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 22:24:37 BDT
Charlieost says:
Hi Ryan. Who pays the bankers excessive salaries and bonuses? You and I do (plus a lot of other people of course) when these huge ammounts of money could be better spent on local community schemes in part to keep youngsters away from the path to prison where they will cost the taxpayers a whole lot more. Since we now (in theory) own the banks. Perhaps we should have some choice in to whom the profits go. C

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 22:29:59 BDT
Hi Charlie, (you're not are you?)

No it's not a good idea. So by how much exactly, do you think it would be a 'good idea' to raise benefits by?

Go on...you were just saying that benefit money remains in the country (you hope - no tablets, iPhones or plasma screens allowed) and eventually finds its way(like a lost cat) back to the government through tax...and?

...And where does the gov get this extra money from to pay the increased benefits? Don't forget what Hilda said: 'the government has no money'.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 22:33:09 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2013 22:52:14 BDT
Charlie,
Why, don't you think Ed has any? OK, he looks and sounds pretty metrosexual, like his 'boss' Ed.

What in the context of economic policy counts as <<balls>>?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 22:42:06 BDT
You have a point. Unfortunately, even if all the bankers bonuses were spent on <<local community schemes>> you wouldn't have much to show for it nationwide. Because big as the bonuses, are once spread thin you'd hardly notice them.

What is a <<local community scheme>>?

How about they paid unemployed teenagers to attend college (to learn block paving laying, plumbing, carpentry) rather than hang around up to no good?

Better that the banks made more loans to businesses with the bonuses. What do you say?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 22:59:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2013 22:59:43 BDT
Charlie,

You don't seem to have digested what I told you.

Go back and read it again.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2013 23:05:53 BDT
Reads like C has worked out (to his satisfaction) that having people on Benefits, benefits the economy by creating income for the gov.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  275
Initial post:  2 Apr 2013
Latest post:  24 Apr 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions