Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

So, Huhne and the missus are released from jail after serving 8 weeks of an eight month sentence...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-43 of 43 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2013 20:26:43 BDT
Spin says:
J; Conversely, are you not familiar with the discipline of "Jurisprudence"?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2013 21:18:50 BDT
Pendragon says:
Spin; conversely, clearly you are not.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2013 21:38:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 May 2013 21:38:59 BDT
Spin says:
Pen; Au contraire. I am indeed versed in jurisprudential theory. May I suggest Hume, Austin, Bentham, Dworkin, Burrows, d'Entreves, Hacker, Sartorious, MacCormick, Waldron, Hampshire, Nozick, Rawles (whose theory I personally subscribe to), Freidman, Smart, et al.

"A Jurisprudential theory is acceptable only if its test for identifying the content of the law and determining its existence depend exclusively on facts of human behaviour capable of being described in value-neutral terms, and applied without resort to moral argument" (J Raz "The authority of Law, p39-40,

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2013 22:27:38 BDT
T. S. C. says:
'Spin says:

Pen; Au contraire. I am indeed versed in jurisprudential theory. May I suggest Hume, Austin, Bentham, Dworkin, Burrows, d'Entreves, Hacker, Sartorious, MacCormick, Waldron, Hampshire, Nozick, Rawles (whose theory I personally subscribe to), Freidman, Smart, et al.'

Did I miss something? Which footy team do they play for again?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2013 22:54:12 BDT
Spin says:
TSC: These are the theoreticians which your "Law-givers" read. Your "lawyers" and "Judges" did not just come up with the idea of "Justice" by themselves... The "law" is a debatable issue since the time the first king consulted his supporters and laid down the "rules"...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2013 10:39:01 BDT
Pendragon says:
Spin

Je suis en désaccord.

Your Wiki or Amazon downloaded list of authors would have been more impressive:

(1) if they had all been jurisprudential theorists which they are not;

(2) if the "Rawles [sic] (whose theory [you say you] personally subscribe to)" had been correctly spelled Rawls by you, who claims to be one of his closely devoted accolytes;

(3) and most importantly, if you had not already shown your ignorance of matters jurisprudential on numerous occasions, most recently on this very thread and in your inability on the Religion Forum last week to distinguish between suicide, attempted suicide, and euthanasia, and their respective legality or illegality under English law, even when corrected (with specific supporting references) by several people (not including me) who are clearly more knowledgeable than you in this area.

As usual, your case is as full of holes as a piece of Swiss cheese. Do trolls eat cheese, I wonder?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2013 17:12:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2013 17:13:27 BDT
T. S. C. says:
'Spin says:

TSC: These are the theoreticians which your "Law-givers" read. Your "lawyers" and "Judges" did not just come up with the idea of "Justice" by themselves... The "law" is a debatable issue since the time the first king consulted his supporters and laid down the "rules"...'

Spin, I was only having a joke there Old Sport! A bit of light relief. Heard of one or two of these little chaps, and know that Bentham was preserved in a cabinet and his head is mummified somewhere at his request. Well, once people started settling down for one reason or several, it followed that urbanisation and civilisation followed, then I suppose the written word, organised religion, bureaucracy and hierarchy. Law is just another way of controlling people and allowing the elites to dominate.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 13:49:29 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 13:57:11 BDT
Spin says:
TSC; People tend to think that a "civil law" is akin to a "natural law". It is the word "law" that is insufficient o describe either. Civil "law" is merely a socially accepted "rule" and a "natural law" is simply a linguistic expression, based on the idea of "cause and effect" representing an actual experiential phenomenon. In fact, the phrase "civil law" should be replaced by the phrase "social dictate".

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 14:58:17 BDT
Pendragon says:
OK Spin

I will allow you to claim that you have done a degree in jurisprudence. Or was it philosophy with a jurisprudence module? Presumably you passed?

In either case, how can it then be that you know so little about English law (per my previous examples and others not mentioned in this discussion)?

[PS I was pulling your leg about the typo ;) ]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 15:09:50 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 15:57:20 BDT
Pendragon says:
Spin: The honour is mine.

OK, philosophy rather than law, fair enough.

But come off it Spin, even you cannot be Scots, Welsh AND N Irish!

Btw, except for Council regulations, Welsh law IS English law. And NI law is virtually the same again.

Your lack of awareness of that, and correct use of the word Scots, suggests you are a Scotsman. In which case no wonder you have difficulty in understanding English law - Scotland prefers Napoleonic style civil law to the common law used by the rest of the UK. More importantly for this thread, Scottish criminal law also differs significantly.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 16:09:58 BDT
Spin says:

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 16:41:09 BDT
T. S. C. says:
'Spin says:

TSC; People tend to think that a "civil law" is akin to a "natural law". It is the word "law" that is insufficient o describe either. Civil "law" is merely a socially accepted "rule" and a "natural law" is simply a linguistic expression, based on the idea of "cause and effect" representing an actual experiential phenomenon. In fact, the phrase "civil law" should be replaced by the phrase "social dictate". '

Fair enough Old Sport, I'll have to take your word for it as I know little about modern law, other than that much law here is based on the old Anglo-Saxon common law; apart from that, I know very little.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 16:45:35 BDT
Spin says:
RSC: There is no difference between "modern law" and "ancient law". All one needs to discuss jurisprudence is the ability to question those laws which bind your life.

Posted on 21 May 2013 17:45:03 BDT
Spin says:
Every person susceptible to civil law, be that law based on religion, politics,economics or misinformation, has the right to question it and oppose it. A law is only a law if it is universal and undeniable. (the advantage of scientific laws...)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 19:35:48 BDT
T. S. C. says:
'Spin says:

RSC: There is no difference between "modern law" and "ancient law". All one needs to discuss jurisprudence is the ability to question those laws which bind your life.'

I suppose you're right my friend.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 19:44:01 BDT
Spin says:
TEC; Do not "suppose". I might be wrong. If I am, let me know...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  14 May 2013
Latest post:  21 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions