Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Prime Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

How do children benefit from learning history?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 May 2013 09:50:42 BDT
What are the benefits of teaching children history? How does this knowledge improve their lives?

Posted on 12 May 2013 11:14:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 May 2013 13:48:27 BDT
Because if you hadn't learnt history as a little gnome you would not be able to start threads with the title: <<Reasons to be Ashamed to be British>> and cite <<The British Empire>> as one of them, would you?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 11:19:07 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 12 May 2013 12:17:28 BDT
Reducing ignorance is one benefit.

Small wonder you're against it...

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 13:32:06 BDT
What are you on about? Where did I write you had <<gained benefits (blah,blah,blah) from staring threads about history>>?

If you hadn't studied history you wouldn't be able to have listed the British Empire as one of your reasons to be ashamed to be British would you dear?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 13:41:50 BDT
TomC says:
Absolutely none. Time to stop, old bean.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 13:47:25 BDT
Lol!

Posted on 12 May 2013 13:47:42 BDT
We can learn from history, although there are always unanswered questions from it. My old history teacher (not old at the time of course) sometimes said 'I think' about something. For instance 'I think the Industrial Revolution had to happen although there were some bad effects from it.' Therefore also you still need to make your own mind up and make your own decisions.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 14:00:21 BDT
Wyan...I asked a question...can you answer it?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 14:00:46 BDT
Beloved...stick to the topic.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 14:10:43 BDT
Eh?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 14:21:13 BDT
Kleist says:
They get to know something about the past.

Posted on 12 May 2013 15:12:27 BDT
S. P. Jones says:
The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.

Freidrich Hegel.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 15:42:55 BDT
Damn it man...read the thread title and your daft reply...see the nonsense.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 15:56:21 BDT
Kleist says:
Makes you wonder why he spent so much time studying it, lecturing on it and writing about it doesn't it? Lectures on the Philosophy of World History (Cambridge Studies in the History and Theory of Politics)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 16:10:35 BDT
Roma says:
Hi Tom
"Time to stop, old bean." You didn't pick that up from The Broons, did ya?

Posted on 12 May 2013 16:18:13 BDT
Roma says:
Hi
I was asked last week to visit a 5th year pupil to help her prepare for her Higher English. One of the poems she was studying was Shooting Stars by Carol Ann Duffy. This girl had never heard of the Holocaust and was completely shocked when I explained the background to this poem was the treatment of the Jews by the Nazis in Concentration Camps. She asked me, "But why would they do that?" Maybe the problem is that children are not taught enough history ; maybe they just don't listen ; or maybe fact and fiction are becoming more difficult to tell apart. Who knows?

Posted on 12 May 2013 16:29:55 BDT
Kleist says:
I suppose the question involves the further question: do we always benefit from knowing?

If someone were to remain blissfully happy all of their lives and had never heard of the Holocaust, whereas learning about it would have made them unhappy (or at least more unhappy), wouldn't they be better off not knowing?

I think they ought to know. I suppose it depends upon what you think of as a benefit. I think knowing and understanding is a benefit, even if it brings no further results to ones life.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 17:14:01 BDT
Tony...wise words...thank you....

Knowledge + understanding = wisdom.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 19:20:01 BDT
TomC says:
Hi Roma,

No, I think that was probably from Frank Richards: a literary giant who profoundly influenced my prose style.

"Yarooooooh!"
"Hah! Hah! Hah!"

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 19:42:56 BDT
Damn it man...you were a child once upon a time (or were you?), and you learnt history...all about the Brutish Empire...which enabled you to start threads on here saying why you are ashamed to be British. Therefore if you hadn't learn't history you'd be ignorant of the Brutish Empire and wouldn't be able to comment how ashamed it makes you feel to be British.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 19:49:47 BDT
It was just a smart ar$e comment SPJ looked up, and liked the look of. There are hundreds of such quotes from famous folk Online, some claiming history is bunk others claiming those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it. Take your pick.

Posted on 12 May 2013 20:32:37 BDT
Charlieost says:
Because history helps us to know where we are and how we got here. It locates us. For children, the fact that in the past they would not have had access to education unless they came from the moneyed classes is particularly important. Not appreciated in some cases perhaps but important just the same.

So Simon. Are you for or agin it or with your usual third option, would you prefer to prevaricate? C

In reply to an earlier post on 12 May 2013 20:53:22 BDT
Dear Chaz...you mean the intelligent option..."I don't know".

Posted on 12 May 2013 20:55:35 BDT
Spin says:
Do you want future lawyers, politicians, scientists and public servants knowing nothing of the past? If so, the nation would be as stagnant as most third world nations are today. The history of all aspects of life is essential to the knowledge that contributes to the development of a society.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  12 May 2013
Latest post:  14 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions