Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

The Boston Marathon Bombings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 114 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Apr 2013 10:14:51 BDT
Spin says:
What kind of person would plant bombs at an athletic event where women, children and the disabled congregate in large numbers for a charitable, fun day out? It seems that no public event is safe from the lunatics of this world...This terrible event, in which humanity, charity and human co-operation have been attacked, has tainted future enjoyment and expectations of such public expressions of community

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 10:41:35 BDT
David Groom says:
Spin,

MEP no doubt thinks it was George Bush as part of his ongoing war on terror, one he started on 9/11. Won't be long before she's got a whole load of website material to demonstrate how his brother was in Boston and his sister-in-law's step-brother's uncle's dog had a radio controlled device strapped to it's collar. Before long the CTs will be having a field day with this. And not one of them will spare a thought for the victims.

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 11:01:08 BDT
The first question that was asked at the police press conference last night says it all....

"Sir, was it the government who staged these explosions to further remove our civil liberties?"

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 12:44:55 BDT
Charlieost says:
The right to bear explosives Steven?

So as far as I can tell we have three options. Inside job as Steven has suggested above. Domestic or foreign terrorist attack. Considering that there has been no serious incident in the United States since 9/11 and the muslin community is heavily monitored plus no radical Islamic group has claimed responsibility which they always seem in a rush to gloat about I would dismiss that possibility.

As for the idea that the bombs may have been planted by an agency of a goverment which is trying to reform the gun laws I would think that such an incident would play into the hands of the anti-reform lobby in that thye can now play this card to demonstrate that American citizans still need the means to defend themselves.

What I do think is that this is a similar attack to the Oklahoma bombings of 1995 and will be seen by those responsible as the spilling of blood to defend liberty. And those responsible will turn out to be Americans. C

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 13:03:47 BDT
Spin says:
Would the US government, or the Gun lobby, bomb women, children and the disabled at an event dear to the heart of its fellow citizens? I do not think so. Only a person or group with no sense of morality, no humanity, would attack innocents. The bomber(s) knew that it would be the public, women, children, the disabled, standing in rows four deep along the route, that would be hit. The casualties were not "accidental"; the public, not a military, judicial or commercial business, was the target. That is the shocking fact about this event that leads me to think that the attack was by a "home-grown" terror group or individual nutcase. The availability of information on how to create weapons and explosive devices makes it easy for any psycho to fulfil their deviant fantasies.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 13:25:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Apr 2013 13:26:49 BDT
Wow wow I repeated it as satire and amazement at the crazinesss, I do not believe for one second that the US government did this

Just repeating the first question that was asked by a so called "Journalist" during last nights police statement

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 13:48:03 BDT
David Groom says:
Stephen Gallagher,

'Wow wow I repeated it as satire and amazement at the crazinesss, I do not believe for one second that the US government did this'

There are plenty of people on here who will think precisely that!!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 13:53:51 BDT
I would refute this by saying that we have so little information that the only way to come to this conclusions would be to do a whole lot of mental gymnastics which in turn makes it much less likely to be true

I honesty think we have another Timothy McVie, someone who has a screw loose and the capability of making a small bomb. It's the most simple and obvious answer especially with recent history

Worst case scenario is a terrorist attack of course

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 14:15:25 BDT
Spin says:
In a way, it is preferable if the attack was by a lone fruitcake, for it can then be regarded as a "one-off" (unless other psychos decide to copy the attack, as many have copied the original school-shooting so many years ago). But if it is an attack by a domestic or foreign terror group, then all public events are under threat and all citizens, regardless of age, gender or health, are targets. And this alters our societal structures and freedoms.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:18:10 BDT
Charlieost says:
No Spin. The far right militias in the United States will naturally be pro gun lobby because they have no intention of acceeding to any threat as they envision it to take away or restrict their access to high powered weaponry. The pro gun lobby in the US is huge and includes people from the relatively normal to the barking mad.

Another reason I think it is internal is because it happened on Patriots Day.

AUTHOR: Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
QUOTATION: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:21:46 BDT
David Groom says:
Stephen Gallagher,

'I would refute this by saying that we have so little information that the only way to come to this conclusions would be to do a whole lot of mental gymnastics which in turn makes it much less likely to be true '

I'm afraid that facts, logic and common sense have no effect on these people. They are impervious to it all in their self-imposed ignorance.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:23:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Apr 2013 14:24:48 BDT
Charlieost says:
Hi Stephen. Apologies for my missunderstanding. A friend who works in the US posted a Prayer for those in Boston which I read earlier. One of the comments underneath read thus:

"boston was one of the main funders for the IRA in the eighties....they used to have charity tins in most pubs to donate to the IRA.....what goes around comes around i say....they got what they've been funding others to do"

On RTE News earlier, the Department of Foreign Affairs was reported as issuing a statement that no Irish people had been killed or injured in the bombing. C

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:24:14 BDT
I know and it angers me to no end

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 14:27:59 BDT
easytiger says:
Two bombs replicates the Omagh slaughter. Bombings are terrible but to detonate one and then another shortly afterwards amongst the panic is pure evil.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:28:24 BDT
Well the 80's the IRA were "at war" in the north and Boston having a very large Irish community (Some of my own family and friends are living there right now) It only makes sense that these communities would send money home to help their home countries

Whether it's right or wrong is another discussion entirely

RTE issued the statement because there was a very large number of Irish Nationals running in the marathon and like I said there is a large Irish community especially in Boston so lots of people have family there

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:31:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Apr 2013 14:32:06 BDT
The Omagh bombing was one 500lb car bomb and it was absolutely gigantic especially in comparison to both the bombs that went off yesterday. The bomb in Omagh almost leveled an entire street, the bomb in the USA although devastating barely knocked over a barrier

There is no comparison between the two, the Omagh bombing was an absolute travesty to human life of the highest order

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 14:40:16 BDT
Spin says:
The BBC issued statements concerning British nationals attending the event. I'm sure other nations informed their citizens of the status of their nationals attending or participating in the marathon. To introduce IRA terrorism into the equation, simply because Boston has a large Irish community is pure nonsense. New York has a large Italian community; are we to introduce the Mafia and Fascism into the discussion of 9/11?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:42:21 BDT
easytiger says:
Yes, I made a mistake. The first one wasn't a bomb in fact. A warning was given that a bomb set to go off in a certain place. The people were directed away from the area to where the real bomb was actually detonated, killing and maiming hunreds of irish people.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:48:53 BDT
Charlieost says:
Hi Stephen. I was just quoting some idiots posting on facebook.

As you are no doubt aware, it was the Continuity or Real IRA who were responsible for the Omagh bombing and the horror, death and destruction served to deepen the resolve of those dedicated to the peace process. I hope, (even as I wish for a thirty two county Irish republic) that this was the final nail in the coffin of such atrocities. C

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 14:54:09 BDT
Charlieost says:
No tiger. Actually what happened was that the driver of the car bomb was unable to park in the pre-arranged place and the warning was phoned in by someone who was unaware of this and for that reason people were directed away from this area and towards the one where the car bomb was detonated.

This was not intended by those who carried out this act. C

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 15:07:24 BDT
If you intend to detonate a 500lb car bomb then your intentions are to hurt people, because they messed it up does not excuse them.

Abhorrent and idiotic human beings to the highest degree. They committed an act that cost 29 innocent civilians their lives

There are that many spin offs of the once IRA that it's barely even registers with me anymore what with the RIRA, CIRA, 32CSM, etc, etc. Their sole purpose now seems to be to disrupt traffic and make my journey home from work double in time or get themselves caught driving around in a car full of guns and explosives

Someone needs to tell them that they are fighting a war that ended quite a few years ago

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 15:08:45 BDT
easytiger says:
I stand corrected.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 15:26:12 BDT
Charlieost says:
Absolutely Stephen. I have no arguement with that. It is inhuman and foul to perpetrate such an atrocity. Reatives of the victims recently bought a sucessful civil action against two men involved in the bombing and were awarded 1.8 million pounds damages. The men will be persued for whatever can be taken from them.

Unfortunately they have not been sucessfully bought to justice. I would see them in prison for the rest of their lives.

In the republic it seems more like a faction and drug related fight although if I remember right they issued a statement some time ago saying they would be taking actions against those who "destroyed" the country. No bankers or politicians have been injured since the making of this statement.

I agree with easy though. No matter the size of the bomb, it takes a similar mindset to perpetrate such a crime. C

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Apr 2013 15:37:43 BDT
I just wrote a post in response but Amazon in it's infinite wisdom decided to give me an error and I lost everything when I went to post. Shortened version below

The differing factions now are no better than thugs and gangsters who seem to be invested in the drug and protitution businesses.

As for the statement regarding their taking action against those that ruined the country. I remember that they blew up a Santander bank in Derry a few weeks after at 1:30pm during a busy afternoon, they also blew up a sub division of Ulster Bank somewhere. Plus in their infinite wisdom they decided to blew up the new City of Culture Offices that were just set up in Derry

Posted on 16 Apr 2013 15:47:57 BDT
Charlieost says:
Oh Stephen. I did not know about those bombings. News from the North is usually treated as if it is from some foreign country and does not attain the prominance that perhaps it should down here. We have so much going on here at the mo that we are wading through the stuff. Nice to catch that a young guy from Inis Mor is hoping to make the Olympic team. If he gets a medal then he will be the first person on the island to do so. Now that's the kind of news I like and the kind of inspiration we need.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Tony Blair - Jeremy Corbyn is a dangerous man. Do not give him any power. 25 1 hour ago
Is Sport News? 835 6 hours ago
A-har, is capum jark Sparra a wife beater that needs to walk the plank or is a bit of force and violence occasionally needed in an adult relationship. 13 6 hours ago
The pratroll gets a visit... 60 8 hours ago
Thought processes of the "modern" Tory include: 22 8 hours ago
"I don't like the way the EU is going... 59 8 hours ago
FINALLY. 5 9 hours ago
The Olympics must be moved from Rio NOW. 27 9 hours ago
Think on this.... 35 9 hours ago
PFQs. ...the root of our problems...? 3 10 hours ago
"Brexit scare stories are made up, I know because I used to do that stuff" 20 10 hours ago
'Olympics Of Brain Damage' Experts warm of mutant swarm. 2 10 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  114
Initial post:  16 Apr 2013
Latest post:  5 Aug 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions