Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Rory Stewart's Afghanistan 2..."I said it in the beginning"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Jun 2012 05:45:55 BDT
For many, many years I have been arguing that the war in Afghanistan has been fought using both the wrong strategy and tactics. It was therefore extremely interesting to hear a top Soviet General agree with this on Rory's programme. This is what he said:

"The introduction of military forces was a mistake. We already had a lot of influence in Afghanistan, economically and politically. This massive weight of military forces was unnesessary. WHAT WAS NECESSARY WAS THE SLY USE OF SPECIAL FORCES".

Exactly! You cannot fight a guerrilla army with force. Yet in 2012 we continue this idiocy! Why? Pull the troops out. Let the Taliban return. THEN send in the special forces. More Sun Tzu please!!!

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 08:23:58 BDT
I don't think even that will work after a short time as a method like this will take years to be successful and they will become wise to their tactics.

No invading country has ever won a war here and the war itself was fought under a false premise anyway

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 08:40:40 BDT
KK...no invading country has won a war....exactly...pull out the troops....let the Taliban return....then fight them their way....by doing this we avoid the daily slaughter of the ordinary soldier.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 08:51:30 BDT
But special forces soldiers or mercenaries will be ok?

I don't believe the war should have taken place in the first place, I think all the lives lost were a sad waste used as pawns by the ruling class

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 09:58:21 BDT
gille liath says:
Why does this need a separate thread? Come on, Boydy, you're hogging the forum...

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 11:27:48 BDT
Gille....how so?...Everyone is free to start threads and ignore them.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 11:52:10 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Someone's got to? Do you get bored easily Simon, self evident really.

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 13:00:46 BDT
Conventional warfare... special forces warfare... and waging war by terror... They all go on interminably and they feed off each other. None of it will solve anything.

Warfare is just one of the ingredients which will lead to the complete collapse of everything.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 13:47:56 BDT
Dear Molly....as a conscious-self-aware human being I have evolved beyond "getting" emotional states...I choose them....boredom is not on the list of choices.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 13:48:41 BDT
Dear DPR....the fount is not supporting war...

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 19:31:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jun 2012 19:54:14 BDT
gille liath says:
Ignore your threads, mate, and there's nothing left. Trust me, I've tried it. You're all over the leaderboard...and most of them are only very slight variations on each other.

Seriously (actually that was serious): I've been thinking for a long time that we could do with bringing back a 'comment on the news' thread rather than starting a new thread for every little thing. Or even two new threads, as in this case. Anyone have an opinion on that?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 21:04:30 BDT
Gille....the great way is easy for those with no preferences.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2012 21:56:43 BDT
Spin says:
Simon: Send troops in to eliminate the Taliban and they will sdisappear until you guys leave. As they always do. Let Afghanistan sort itself out. Interference only adds to the problem, resulting in anomosity from even those who oppose taliban rule. You cannot tell a nation that by your occupation you will end occupation. Internal and external occupation by forces can only be accepted or rejected by the people themselves. You guys should have learned your lesson in Vietnam and Northern Ireland...One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter...

Posted on 3 Jun 2012 23:39:22 BDT
P R Pfeiffer says:
This is a just war against Islamo facists who thow acid in womens faces, blow up buddhist statues, burn books etc. It's just being fought badly with no political heart. Go back to the drawing board but please don't abandon the people of this great nation to the vile taliban

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 16:34:33 BDT
Spin says:
PR: The Taliban were no threat to the west until the West invaded Afghanistan. Al Queida took refuge with the Taliban, but the Taliban movement itself presented no threat to the west. Too many people mistakenly equate the Taliban with Al Quieda. Left to its own devices the Taliban regime would have eventually collapsed. What the west forgets is that fundamentalist Islam is not unique to the Taliban. Somalia is currently in a dreadful war against extremist Islam. This war affects the west (in piracy and kidnappings) and the west does sweet FA to help that poor nation. So do not assume the Taliban are the sole cause of the evils of this world. Eliminating the Taliban will not solve the problem.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  1 Jun 2012
Latest post:  4 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions