Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Professor Platt's Anti-politician Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 May 2011 08:01:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2011 08:01:23 BDT
RAB says:
They haven't brought world peace. They haven't given us all free money. Bad things still happen in the world. Yes, politicians, the lowest of the scum, are responsible for all the sorrow. Any of us, who spend our days on an insignificant internet forum, could do a better job, but won't, because your soul is instantly ripped out on your first day.

So here is the thread where we bemoan the existence of politicians, to save clogging up the forum with individual b*tchings without any substance.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 09:49:48 BDT
AJ Murray says:
'It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.' - Winston Churchill

We live with it because the alternatives are so awful. The only thing that will improve the politicians is more people voting for those that have some shred of integrity (and they do exist).

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 10:22:23 BDT
Come on, AJ, you haven't got the hang of this. More mindless whinging, fewer intelligent comments. Okay? Now try again. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 10:33:40 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2011 11:58:01 BDT
Molly Brown says:
The only thing that would improve politics and voting, is a better educated society, educated to a high enough standard that they understand, as much as any one can, what exactly the politicians are espousing and what the repercussions are of such espoused policies.

Politicians should also to be held to account, if they do not keep to their pledges in Manifesto's, just like any business has to if they enter into a contract with you clearly stating what they will be providing for your vote. If they don't, or as in the current climate, they are simply making things up after they have been voted in, they should be brought to account, perhaps, with a referendum on say, a vote of no confidence? At present, we often have five year dictatorships.

FPTP is not really democracy is it.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 11:15:12 BDT
Grr says:
Hear! Hear! RAB. Only Professor Pratt, sorry Platt would call it sustance.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 11:20:28 BDT
AJ Murray says:
I agree about education, i wonder if there should be more of political education within the curriculum, from memory (and it was rather a long time ago) we were told nothing about the history or reality of voting beyond Woman's Suffrage.

We have to balance the selection of party/politcians for against a system of constant flux, which is why we give them terms of office. We punish their mistakes by voting at local elections and eventually at the general election. I agree that there should be reform, and it's a pity that there are politicians opposed to doing this. The recent referendum showed only that there are a lot of people who simply do not understand why a more representitive system would be more democratic.

Having said that, i am Scottish, so we use a combined system for our parliament, which was designed to make it difficult for a party to have a majorty. This has led to more co-operation between the parties as to what legislation is passed as (until recently) no party could command a majority of seats.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 12:07:21 BDT
Molly Brown says:
I have a Scottish surname, and Welsh forebears, my ancestors were probably kicked out in the Clearances from Scotland, and sent to slavery in England, and it seems both my "old countries", have actually entered the 21st Century, whereas England continues to be stuck in it's glorious past, (depending which side of the tracks you come from), and refuses to let things change. The recent referendum was a total stitch up as PR was not on offer, no primetime television leadership discussions, deliberately overshadowed by the Royal Wedding and undermined by being on the same date as the Local Elections. Little England wins again!

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 14:19:05 BDT
Grr says:
Molly
I thought the Highland Clearances, which "probably" involved your ancestors led to mass emigration, rather than being "sent to slavery in England".
My understanding on the recent AV referendum was that it resulted from a compromise of PR in forming the coalition government, which full PR would probably lead to a lot more of. Certainly Mr Clegg and the Lib Dems were stitched up, but I doubt the Royal Wedding had much to do with it.
Whilst I see what you mean about better education, it generally doesn't seem to make people lose their prejudices. Formed most often by accident of birth.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 15:06:40 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Grr - Tiger! I'll have to look up the Clearances, but I believed, maybe incorrectly, that many were sent down to industrial towns in the north of England, I think we eventually settled down south, via Leeds, then Staffordshire. It's been a long journey. Is it time to go home now?

Posted on 23 May 2011 18:20:58 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 14 Nov 2012 09:03:45 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 18:26:33 BDT
Spin says:
Rab: You sound like a politician...=)

Posted on 23 May 2011 19:55:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2011 19:56:49 BDT
S Wood says:
@molly

Your ancestors could have been drovers, who drove cattle down from scotland through england to London and got lost on the way down or back? Highlanders ended up in all sorts of places, canada (where john prebble author of the famous account "the highland clearances" came from), the scottish lowlands where whole villages were moved en masse (see iain crichton smith's "consider the lillies" for an excellent fictional account), the british army and a thousand and one other places.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 21:30:44 BDT
monica says:
So does legrain yohan.

Twisted language with many Latinate words and with boasts, promises, an eye for profit, and no guarantee. In fact, 'reasonable price will be absorbed by you' for 'you must pay' could be useful in many a political speech.

Posted on 23 May 2011 21:35:24 BDT
Spin says:
Yeah, what the hell is it with all these commercials? Amazon! Wake up! This is a Discussion site, not an open advertisement.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 22:20:39 BDT
Yangonite says:
Surely these spam posts can't be serious marketting adverts. How can a spammer with the sophistification to get past the filters make such a pig's ear of the text.
If they were serious about selling something they would make sure the adverts were grammatically correct - it's not that difficult even if you live in W Africa, or where-ever.

I'm tempted to follow one of the links, just to see - but who knows what could happen to my PC.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2011 22:26:21 BDT
Spin says:
Yangonite: Spammers and capitalists get by the system bt phrasing their advert in a certain way. Read the recent one: it reads like a religious post. We should all reply to these adverts with the most offensive and obstructive mails we can imagine (as I have done). Only then will these fools stop advertising on a free discussion site. (Clearly, amazon, as a capitalist organisation, cares not, so its up to us to deter these fools).

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2011 08:23:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2011 08:25:11 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Who knows SW, perhaps my family got a double whammy, kicked out from the Highlands in the first of the Clearances, and then again in the second, from the Lowlands.

"It was only in the mid-nineteenth century that the second, more brutal phase of the Clearances began".........................

............"Elizabeth Leveson-Gower, Duchess of Sutherland, and her husband George Leveson-Gower, 1st Duke of Sutherland, conducted brutal clearances between 1811 and 1820.
Evictions at the rate of 2,000 families in one day were not uncommon. Many starved and froze to death where their homes had once been. The Duchess of Sutherland, on seeing the starving tenants on her husband's estate, remarked in a letter to a friend in England, "Scotch people are of happier constitution and do not fatten like the larger breed of animals."

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2011 13:12:27 BDT
Yangonite says:
OK. that explains the rubbish text.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011 04:30:05 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Sep 2011 12:53:01 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011 04:37:19 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Sep 2011 12:53:02 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011 04:46:16 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Sep 2011 12:53:02 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011 09:07:06 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Well thank you kind sir!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011 09:27:58 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Sep 2011 12:53:05 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 May 2011 11:35:19 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Seen the film with Peter O'Toole! Is it the same as sod's law, coz that's what I know most about! Murphy is not my real name obviously, I do have a VERY common Scottish surname, being very common myself!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2011 07:45:13 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Sep 2011 12:53:14 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xb4cb4234)

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  23 May 2011
Latest post:  10 Jun 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions