Shop now Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Bored with anti- German propaganda now.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 129 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2013 15:47:52 BDT
Spin says:
IN: "teaching" knowledge? One cannot teach knowledge. One can only relate information. The "Knowledge" comes from analysing, testing and debating that information. In short, it comes from the experience of living. But it is up to you as to who you put your faith in to relate accurate information to you and your kids..

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2013 12:46:20 BDT
(M)e(L) says:
information - having a pile of factual stuff - is not the problem in my view although it is indeed wonderful to have so much stuff at one's fingertips, IN. interpretation and discrimination are critical for facts do not 'speak for themselves' but require a mind ; "fact creates norms, and truth illumination"(herzog) education should be a means to encourgae us to lb able to encompass both states +++++++.

"In a famous passage (in hard times by dickens), a visiting official asks Gradgrind's students "Suppose you were going to carpet a room. Would you use a carpet having a representation of flowers upon it?" The character Sissy Jupe replies, ingenuously, that she would because, "If you please, sir, I am very fond of flowers."
" "And is that why you would put tables and chairs upon them, and have people walking over them with heavy boots?"

"It wouldn't hurt them, sir. They wouldn't crush and wither, if you please, sir. They would be the pictures of what was very pretty and pleasant, and I would fancy -"
"Ay, ay, ay! But you mustn't fancy," cried the gentleman, quite elated by coming so happily to his point. "That's it! You are never to fancy."
"You are not, Cecilia Jupe," Thomas Gradgrind solemnly repeated, "to do anything of that kind."
"Fact, fact, fact!" said the gentleman. And "Fact, fact, fact!" repeated Thomas Gradgrind.[3]"

best wishes

(dickens qoted in wikipedia - look up gradgrind facts)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2013 12:28:17 BDT
Ian says:
I increasingly think that schools shouldn't bother teaching knowledge at all; instead we should concentrate on teaching how to research information on the internet and how to distinguish truth from fiction (as opposed to the current situation which divides those who believe everything they read on the internet/Wikipedia from those who don't believe anything they read on the internet/Wikipedia).

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2013 09:15:27 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 14 Jul 2013 09:41:36 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2013 09:01:39 BDT
George says:
Rubbish.

If a peson is really interest in a subject all they have to do is google what they are interested in.

Type in: 'History Of Irish Famine' and its all there.

'The Opium Wars' its ALL online.

Self education..... is all there on line if u want it .

Please don't blame everything on schools.

When i was young....My woodwork teacher was a soldiers in the British army who liberated one of the Concentration .
He never spoke about it....and must have taken some dreadful memories to his grave. (RIP sir)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2013 08:48:27 BDT
George says:
No excuse.
If u are really interest in a specific subject just google it.

Schools can't teach u everything.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jul 2013 17:45:16 BDT
Pipkin says:
Just catching up after being away for a week or so, and cannot believe that this post has been voted down.........
Absolutely true information - voted down?
Get my breath?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 20:47:01 BDT
Spin says:
Mel; no. I am in more aware of the reality of Scottish politics than you assume.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 20:39:45 BDT
(M)e(L) says:
well the snp ans scottish labour party and scottish tories all agree on NATO - plus the us MILITARY bases - you are out of touch it seems

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 18:31:13 BDT
You're not kidding. These days every time I cough I pop a nugget.

Posted on 5 Jul 2013 18:28:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jul 2013 18:31:41 BDT
JONESY says:
I think us English have acted more agressively towards other countries throughout history than virtually any other nation I could care to mention.
We have never been shy of invading, subjugating and asset stripping and have been involved in all sorts of calumnies including the invention of concentration camps, gunboat diplomacy, the Highland Clearances, starving the Irish, trying to get the Chinese hooked on Opium in order to sell it to them, the scramble for Africa, India, anti Jewish pogroms instigated in Britain and abroad (en route to the Crusades as a sort of pre-Crusade warm-up match),firebombing of Dresden and Hamburg in WW2 which totally obliterated the innocent civilian population of those cities, etc etc,so whilst the Nazis might have taken things to new and devastating extremes we really have nothing to get on our moral high horse about.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 18:26:42 BDT
Spin says:
Mel: NATO is a redundant organisation. It is completely irrelevant in todays political and military conflicts. It makes no difference whether Scotland is a member of NATO or not; It is the other NATO members who want Scotland to remain within the club. But membership will be no more beneficial or detrimental than non-membership. And the "US alliance" is no more than trade agreements and contracts concerning the recovery of natural resources. The recovery and production of oil and gas in the North sea is a distinctly American enterprise.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 18:18:54 BDT
(M)e(L) says:
showing your age, bro' LOL !!!

Posted on 5 Jul 2013 18:13:42 BDT
Roland rats got more influence than you.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 18:12:41 BDT
(M)e(L) says:
eh ....they got 15 seats (2011)bro' - more influence than u or me !!!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 18:11:24 BDT
(M)e(L) says:
how come there is a 'scottish conservative party' ???? those rascals are not going to abandon scotland once it is independent - u r totally out to lunch if u think that sctoland is going to be anything but part of NATO and a US alliance - anything to say re scttish labour and the snp on defence ?? poll after poll of scots shows support for the US alliance aND NATO?? no??? have u ever been 2 scotland bro'???

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 17:52:53 BDT
Spin says:
Mel: The Scottish Unionist and Conservative Party has no influence in Scotland; the party itself is almost non-existent. The Scots have an extreme, and justified, distrust and dislike of Tories.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 11:24:27 BDT
(M)e(L) says:
way off m8 - not just snp but scotish labor & scottish tories will keep nato & yank alliance. think about it

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2013 11:05:03 BDT
kev holmes says:
You are quite correct more British history should be taught. But the "Johnny cabbage eater" started it!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2013 18:41:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2013 18:42:42 BDT
Spin says:
Kai; They are not what? They are not depicting Merkel in a Nazi uniform or they are not employing historical events to highlight modern concerns? (Edit: assuming, of course, by "they" you mean the German population)

Posted on 4 Jul 2013 17:47:50 BDT
JONESY says:
Going back to my post, i hope the success of German beauty Sabine Lisicki at Wimbledon will go some way to lessen British hostility towards our neighbours.
She even wore a Union Jack t shirt !!.
It's odd how Germans seem to like us, even though we behave in the most reprehensible fashion towards them.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2013 17:14:54 BDT
Kai Melling says:
they are not

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2013 02:03:39 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 4 Jul 2013 08:47:56 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2013 01:43:05 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2013 01:39:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2013 01:41:19 BDT
 says:
I am sorry for your distress over the SNP's desire to 'subjugate' your people to an American alliance - that is a matter for you and your countrymen to resolve. At least you will be able to act without troubling yourself with 'thought', Spin.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
How to Troll Successfully (new book) 16 2 hours ago
Who wants to be bullied in Amazon for personal data published? let's see how Amazon applyes the rules. 79 2 hours ago
Four year benefits ban for immigrants from EU 166 2 hours ago
25p shops....more stupidity... 79 3 hours ago
Does the U.S. want Trump's Muslim solution or the vigilantism the E. U. is moving to? 39 4 hours ago
Would a 3rd World War be a good thing or a bad thing. 634 5 hours ago
upload your personal data here. 18 5 hours ago
The BBC are showing interviews with immigrants in Cologne stating how much they love Germany and are looking forwards to this weekends celebrations. 18 7 hours ago
Lord Lucan 32 8 hours ago
Money Saving ideas 72 12 hours ago
Do we need a political nihilism...? 45 12 hours ago
China is heading for a new revolution. Panic on the streets of Beijing. 0 17 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  129
Initial post:  24 Jun 2013
Latest post:  21 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions