Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Eric the King for Presidong!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jan 2012 21:32:30 GMT
gille liath says:
What a guy. If only he could run in the US - or here for that matter...

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 21:40:26 GMT
RAB says:
I'm moving to France and enrolling to vote as we speak.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 06:21:03 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jan 2012 06:22:13 GMT
Molly Brown says:
"I am not a man, I am Cantona"

"Socrates worked towards making people question themselves. He like to provoke self-interrogation but wasn't particularly interested in the answers that emerged; he just like to set off the thought process."

"The revolution is really easy to do these days. What's the system? The system is built on the power of the banks. So it must be destroyed through the banks. A real revolution"

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

"I feel close to the rebelliousness and vigour of the youth here. Perhaps time will separate us."

"I don't play against any team in particular. I play to fight against defeat."

"I am searching for abstract ways of expressing reality, abstract forms that will enlighten my own mystery."

"It is enjoyable to make things visible which are invisible."

I think this, all put together would make a pretty good campaign speech?

Posted on 11 Jan 2012 10:38:44 GMT
gille liath says:
I'm glad you guys recognised the reference - I wondered if anyone would.

I have to say, the footage of Eric going round a council flat, fuming about its revolting state, is one of the more bizarre sights I've seen lately.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 10:49:25 GMT
RAB says:
As a United fan I'd already read the story anyway Gille. Was gonna post it here but couldn't be bothered.

Outstanding list of quotes Molly, let's hope he continues in the same vein throughout his campaign.

Posted on 11 Jan 2012 11:45:34 GMT
David Groom says:
He'd have an interesting take on debates with opponenets I guess. Double footed drop kick wasn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 11:51:16 GMT
gille liath says:
I'm a Utd fan too, but last night's News was the first I'd heard of it.

I notice the fans were singing the 'twelve days of Cantona' over Xmas again. It's a tribute to the guy (albeit quite a repetitive one). What other player is still being sung on the terrace fifteen years after leaving the club?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 11:58:09 GMT
RAB says:
To be fair I'd only heard it yesterday morning anyway. ;)

I was at Old Trafford on Boxing Day, and I've gotta admit I was confused by them singing that. Joined in none the less. Disappointed at it being sung instead of Giggs Will Tear You Apart but oh well.

Posted on 11 Jan 2012 13:35:53 GMT
Huck Flynn says:
Ooh Eee Sarkozy?

Posted on 11 Jan 2012 18:42:42 GMT
Spin says:
I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about. Pass the joint and get to me...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 19:19:42 GMT
gille liath says:
So we finally found something you don't have a superfluous opinion about? Spread the word... ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 19:21:45 GMT
gille liath says:
Ah, a man after my own heart. But, although Giggs has been a little undervalued compared to Cantona, Cantona was the catalyst, wasn't he? The one who instilled a winning mindset after 27 years of defeat.

Btw, was that the Blackburn game? Could've come up with a better result couldn't you, mate? What were you playing at?

Posted on 11 Jan 2012 19:22:02 GMT
Spin says:
Barkeep, I'll have what Gilles having...=)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 19:24:27 GMT
gille liath says:
You're not a follower of the Beautiful Game? Manchester United legend Eric Cantona wants to run for President of France.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 19:26:35 GMT
RAB says:
No mate, 5-0 against Wigan. My previous trip to OT was 8-2 against Arsenal. Wish I could go more often.

Must say you're the first person I've seen to call Giggs undervalued. He has been a bit disappointing this season by his own high standards in my opinion though.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 19:37:26 GMT
gille liath says:
I take it back, you're obviously a lucky charm.

By undervalued I mean a lot of United fans have tended to take him for granted - probably just because he has been so good for so long - not that I personally don't value him.

He's getting past it though, sadly. He's still their best playmaker, and it might be alright if there was a Keane alongside him. But he just isn't quite mobile enough now, for the big games - at least that's my impression, from the limited number of games I've seen recently.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 19:39:12 GMT
RAB says:
He can't last the 90 nowadays, although Fergie insists on keeping him on. I've also noticed his first touch has been a bit lacking this season, and from that I'd say Nani's now our most creative (but also most inconsistent) player.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 19:45:05 GMT
gille liath says:
Very inconsistent. I wouldn't say he even deserves a place in the team - if it wasn't for the fact that the cupboard is more or less bare nowadays, attacking-midfield wise. I guess that's why Giggs has played so much (when he seemed to be on the verge of phasing out a couple of years ago) and why Scholes, maybe ill-advisedly, has come back.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 20:41:19 GMT
Spin says:
Gille: Ah! thanks for that. No I am not a football fan, but I have heard of Cantona. One of the few frenchmen with a sense of humour....

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 20:41:40 GMT
RAB says:
I wouldn't go that far, he's certainly a better option than the solid, but ultimately predictable Valencia, just when the chips are down he tends to get more and more frustrated in his efforts to change the game by himself. At that stage I think it's good that we have Young as an option. A midfielder and a right back are certainly the priorities in the summer though.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 20:52:14 GMT
gille liath says:
Which is better: someone who occasionally does brilliant things, but half the time fs it up completely; or someone who can be depended on to do the basic things reasonably well, but not much else?

I'm not very happy with either, to be honest. I think Utd are in for a period of some decline.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 20:53:28 GMT
RAB says:
He's very good more often than not, just on a bad day, he's very bad.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 20:53:36 GMT
gille liath says:
Isn't that the Krauts? I get the impression the French soh is pretty good...just look at some of their Eurovision entries lately.

(That isn't sarcasm, I genuinely think they've been funny.)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 21:01:01 GMT
Spin says:
Gille: Sorry, but I just cannot take seriously a cheese-eating, wine-soaked, nicotine-stained group of surrender-monkeys who declare "Equality and Fraternity" while banning religious freedoms. =0 or =(. Up to you.
Your reply to Spin's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2012 21:08:49 GMT
gille liath says:
Unusual for me, this one: I don't feel strongly either way. Or more accurately, I have feelings on both sides that balance each other. But I'm surprised at sentiments like that from you - you couldn't be stirring again by any chance?

As for the 'religious freedom' thing - I presume you mean the veil etc - at least they're being consistent about it. Not like this country where you can display Muslim or Sikh symbols but not Christian ones.

Anyhow, to any United fan, France has done at least one thing to justify its existence in producing Cantona. And look at those quotes - imagine a British footballer or, frankly, a British anybody, talking like that.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  10 Jan 2012
Latest post:  16 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions