Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

Talk of the Eurozone crisis......

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Feb 2012 20:39:14 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 16 Feb 2012 11:01:11 GMT
R. Woolmer says:
what sort of people are running the EU?

corrupt people, duh :)

Posted on 16 Feb 2012 14:53:40 GMT
Unelected people!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 18:18:53 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 17 Feb 2012 11:34:20 GMT
EU officials do far more than determine trivial matters.
They helped to organise the war on Libya, which killed tens of thousands of people.
They are baying for war on Syria, which would kill tens of thousands more.
British governments have wanted a wider EU, with the aim of including vast reserve armies of cheap labour in and from the East, exerting downward pressure on wage costs in the West.
And, as Thomas Pogge pointed out, "Current policies of the rich countries and the global order they impose greatly contribute to poverty and unfulfilled human rights in the poor countries and thereby inflict severe undue harms on many. These harms could be dramatically reduced through even relatively minor international reforms." (World poverty and human rights, Polity, 2nd edition, 2008, p. 150.)

So the EU now is causing deaths on massive scale - which is more to the point than your historical digressions.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2012 17:48:22 GMT
Pipkin says:
As always William -WELL SAID..
M

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2012 17:54:46 GMT
Pipkin says:
Hya DBA,
Can I repectfully ask that you read
''The US and British Oil Imperialism part one and two'' by Norman Livergood. If you put it into your search, you will be able to read it in half an hour or so. Then I think you will actually find out which REGIME is actually responsible for the death of untold ''billions!''
Regards
Margaret

Posted on 18 Feb 2012 00:07:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2012 00:13:08 GMT
R. Chang says:
Why are the Greek getting such a lot of bad press? When they entered the Eurozone, sure they may have lied about the state of their economy. Did the regimes of Germany and France (the main movers and shakers of Eurozone) do a due diligence?. if they had agreed to Greek membership for political reason, then they cannot now change the rules. When Greece first joined the Eurozone, money was offered and taken and spent. Now the rules have been changed, Greece has to face major cutbacks and austerity measures.
If I were the Greeks, I would show two fingers to Germany and France and get out of the Eurozone. Cannot be worse than being bullied when remaining in the Eurozone.

Why blame me for spending money which the banks were so keen to lend such that the money was stuffed into my face?

Who is at fault. I would say the banks?. I received lots of junk mail offering me loans etc., prior to the crash. Fortunately I did not succumb. If banks were offering loans, dont blame the consumer if things do not turn out right after the money has been spent. It is the bank that made out that they were the financial experts. Between the so-called experts and the unsophisticated who was responsible, the banks for making the toxic offers or the poor consumer who never had it so good?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2012 00:18:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2012 00:34:40 GMT
gille liath says:
There's a difference between Joe Bloggs borrowing money he can't repay - though that is also stoopid - and a country doing the same. I think it's reasonable for lenders to assume that a country will act responsibly in its borrowing.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2012 00:20:23 GMT
gille liath says:
What utter rubbish. Neither the EU nor NATO caused the war in Libya - they managed that by themselves. The chances are, though, there would've been far more deaths without NATO intervention. Similarly, the Syrian govt are managing to kill thousands without any bureaucratic European help at all.
Your reply to gille liath's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2012 15:12:43 GMT
Pipkin says:
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
''I see no ships.''

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2012 15:22:03 GMT
Pipkin says:
Hi Mr Chang
I would say the Banks for passing on the toxic debt they bought from the US believing it to be triple AAA only to find they had bought a ''pup.'' Also the poor consumer for allowing himself to be led into the trap, by Capitalist media, pumping out minute after minute, rubbish that we really don't need ad can't afford, but just have to have if we are to be of any worth to our peers.
What I will never understand is why the US has not been held responsible for selling the sub prime mortgage toxic debts bundled together with triple AAA to make them appear good? Why hasn't someone been prosecuted?
Why are we still clinging to the US coat tails, when they are so obviously corrupt....
Regards
Margaret

Posted on 20 Feb 2012 11:39:55 GMT
Dear Gille Liath, The UN Charter forbids using force or the threat of force against other countries. China and Russia have every right to use their veto against proposals to attack Syria, Iran or anywhere else. The position of Russia and China is just. Their vetoes preserve peace and make it possible for the people of Syria to resolve their own issues.
The resolutions on Libya called for a no-fly zone, but NATO and the EU turned this into an excuse for regime change, bombing Libya, destroying its environment, infrastructure and civilian population, totally depopulating at least two cities, clearing out its black population, and seizing its oil. The lesson of Libya was not lost on Russia and China.

NATO has no right to interfere in any other country. NATO's mandate is defence.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2012 11:52:36 GMT
Pipkin says:
As you say, ''What utter Rubish''

The US and Britain caused the war in Lybia, by warmongering, and inflaming a situation which should have been dealt with by the Lybian people themselves. Exactly the same as they are doing in Syria.
In Lybia there were only 28% of the population against the Government.............. Imagine that here now?
It was NATO who conducted the War and UK, France and Qatar who provided the black ops to overthrow the Lybian Government, laying waste to a once beautiful country with an infrastructure second to none in the middle east.
Now they are in chaos, and the troubles are far worse, with brother against brother. But we are not being bombarded with that now, are we?
NATO have set them back at least 200 years. Good on em!!!
Where do you goet your information from? I would be glad if you would share it.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2012 11:55:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2012 11:55:35 GMT
gille liath says:
None of that has anything to do with your ludicrous allegation that the EU is directly responsible for 'causing deaths on a massive scale'.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2012 11:57:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Feb 2012 12:01:26 GMT
gille liath says:
See above. I see you share with Podders the Leftist tradition of, when in doubt, going off on an irrelevant diatribe.

I'm sure it would have been 'dealt with by the Libyan people' - in just the way dicators usually 'deal with' such situations. In the way the Syrian govt is 'dealing with' dissent.

Where do I get my information? I'm just not blinkered by head-in-the-sand ideology, that's all.

Posted on 20 Feb 2012 14:53:15 GMT
Gille, do you seriously think that abusing a point of view refutes it?
All that your abuse reveals is your inability to present any evidence to sustain your point of view. Go and read Thomas Pogge's book, then try explain, yes, explain, why he is wrong, if he is, to allege that "Current policies of the rich countries and the global order they impose greatly contribute to poverty and unfulfilled human rights in the poor countries and thereby inflict severe undue harms on many." (World poverty and human rights, Polity, 2nd edition, 2008, p. 150.)
Poverty kills people, and currently poor people are dying in huge numbers in countries run by capitalist classes.
What's irrelevant about this?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2012 18:14:07 GMT
Pipkin says:
Gille try this one?
Have a peep at what the UN allowed.
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/03/20/video-us-launches-stealth-bombers-more-than-100-cruise-missiles-against-libya/

At least Podders and I have finer human feelings.
Can I suggest that we all keep our noses out of other people's business....Or, shall we send black ops in to sort you out in Scotland for daring to want Independence from us????

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2012 18:15:04 GMT
Pipkin says:
William,
I like the name Podders, do you mind if I use that one? Mx

Posted on 21 Feb 2012 06:13:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2012 06:52:25 GMT
Molly Brown says:
Clearing the Air: Goldman Sachs and Greece

Let's think about this folks: how does any bank have $100 billion in exposure to a foreign country whose total debt is $300 billion? Do you think Hypostate lent Greece 1/3rd of its money? Or is it much likelier that Hypostate got involved with these exotic instruments sold to it by bankers far afield?

http://www.hellenesonline.com/go/2010/02/memo-to-greece-make-war-not-love-with-goldman-sachs/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goldman Made Greece Eurozone Crisis Worse - For Big Profit

What - you mean Goldman Sachs has not only a) been betting against the mortgage-based securities it was selling its own clients; b) deeply implicated in the almost- and still-pending collapse of AIG, the largest insurance company in the world; but also c) helping to worsen the already bad crisis in the Eurozone ???

http://www.economywatch.com/economy-business-and-finance-news/goldman-made-greece-eurozone-crisis-worse-for-big-profit-16-2.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
How Goldman Sachs sees 2012
Influential US investment bank says the year ahead will be a journey from 'despair to hope'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/dec/22/goldman-sachs-forecast-for-2012
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Those awfuls Greeks, eh, they've brought this austerity on themselves, no help from greedy bankers, just greedy greeks. Germany says they deserve everything they never got, but by gawd, they are getting it now.

Well, who knows what will happen in Europe..........ask Goldman Sachs, they know what will happen in the future, .........as they are playing it for all it's worth (to them).

Goldman Sachs, like their chosen candidate Mitt Romney, has made billions of dollars investing in struggling companies (and countries), turning them around or selling off their assets, and in many other ways trying to make a buck. But when their investments turn bad, they have no problem going to the government (or the EU) to get bailed out, and still get their bad debts paid back. They just don't seem to able to lose out do they.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 17:21:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Feb 2012 17:22:07 GMT
Pipkin says:
Hi Molly,

What if I sell you a box of fruit labelled ''fresh picked today'', but when you open it it is all rotten to the core under the top layer.
I could sue you for my money back under the trade descriptions act...

Yet all these toxic debts were sold; by the U.S.A. around the world, hidden inside bungles of tripple AAA debts, as they were to Greece, France and Us to name just a few....and no body has sued.....

My question is, ''WHY'' havn't all the Lawyers for the duped countries sued?
Why have there been no prosecutions or even threat of prosecutions,

''What'' could be stopping them?

I think it may be time for payback?

Posted on 22 Feb 2012 07:53:37 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Feb 2012 07:58:22 GMT
Molly Brown says:
"All told, roughly four million families in the US lost their homes to foreclosure between the beginning of 2007 and early 2012. In late 2010, evidenced emerged that the foreclosure process may have been deeply tainted by "sloppy recordkeeping, cut corners and possible fraud", epitomized by high-profile cases of "robo-signing'' - cases in which foreclosures took place based on forged or unreviewed documents."

"In the third and fourth quarters of 2010, a robo-signing scandal emerged in the United States involving GMAC Mortgage and a number of major U.S banks. Banks had to halt thousands of foreclosures in numerous states when it became known that the paperwork was illegitimate because the signers had not actually reviewed it. While some robo-signers were middle managers, others were temporary workers with virtually no understanding of the work they were doing."

I gather it was either working in MacDonalds or a job "robo-signing" for many young people in America who were used by these banks to sign illegal documents as their supposed executives. Compensation has been agreed to various degrees for those defrauded out of their homes. Many, who are now homeless, might get $1,500 for their troubles, then again they might just get what's left of it after administration costs and legal fees perhaps.

No prosecutions yet though, although apparently it is "possible" further investigations into individual banks involved, who are still operating, may happen, but generally, I would imagine, that the dust will be allowed to settle over this scandal, and nothing will happen to any of the leading corporate fraudsters. As to the future for those now homeless United States citizens, who cares, America certainly doesn't, the same goes for the people of Greece, and whichever country is next?

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/robo-signer.asp#ixzz1n5FbDj86
http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/foreclosures/index.html

See "The Faces of Foreclosure" at:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/05/17/nyregion/new-jersey/20090517_FORECLOSURE.html?ref=foreclosures

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2012 14:09:31 GMT
Pipkin says:
Hi Molly,
Thanks for the info, I've just remembered the other name for the 'Robo signing' is it called sub prime mortgaging?

Posted on 22 Feb 2012 16:54:19 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Feb 2012 17:15:54 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2012 06:40:33 GMT
Molly Brown says:
Margaret, the robo-signing scam in foreclosures, that is what happened to those people duped into buy properties in the sub-prime mortgage fraud. Defrauded twice by those Banks who are still operating and paying themselves massive bonuses, even when they are making billions in losses. I would imagine that it happened all over the world, as these banks are global, and have no alliegance to any one country, not even to their shareholders, just to their executives.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  15 Feb 2012
Latest post:  8 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions