Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop now
Customer Discussions > politics discussion forum

'Bradford Spring'? Really?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Mar 2012 19:42:06 BDT
gille liath says:
Respect to Respect - that's the first time an MP's acceptance speech has ever made me laugh.

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 14:52:53 BDT
Spin says:
What I ask is: Why did the muslim community vote for a non-muslim sympathiser? Surely they must have had muslim candidates of thier own? A very strange situation. (Unless Respect offered them more than can be delivered).

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 19:49:20 BDT
gille liath says:
That phrase 'non-muslim sympathiser' is rather ambiguous. You mean you think Muslims should only vote for a Muslim? Or only for someone who sympathises with Muslims?

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 20:00:45 BDT
Spin says:
Gille: If a muslim believes the society in which he lives is ufair or unjust, then he must vote for a muslim, not a man with so much hatred of the political system he follows anyone who gives him an look-in and abandons all else (even his dignity0 to "show up labour". The man is a fool. not a politician. The muslim community have only detracted from thier cause by voting for this idiot.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 20:17:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2012 20:18:51 BDT
gille liath says:
I agree with all that, except the first clause; it's their own affair whether they feel they ought to vote only for a Muslim. As a Catholic I know that, when it comes to elections, faith issues can often tug in a different direction from one's social views.

As for Galloway, I'd have had some respect for him if he'd stood in his old Glasgow constituency. His actions have been cynical and exploitative.

Still, interesting to find there is someone so anti-establishment that even you are disgusted with him. There are limits, then?

Posted on 31 Mar 2012 20:56:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Mar 2012 21:00:27 BDT
TomC says:
"As for Galloway, I'd have had some respect for him if he'd stood in his old Glasgow constituency. "

Why? It's common practice for the three main parties to parachute candidates in who have no connection with a constituency, if they believe they can gain advantage by it.

Edit to add: I accept that there are many reasons not to like or trust Galloway - I just don't see why this is one of them.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2012 21:10:29 BDT
gille liath says:
A. The candidates you refer to are not already MPs, as Galloway was.
B. It's not usual to target a particular ethnic or religious group.
C. He's not a party - he's just him.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2012 06:30:30 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Obviously a protest vote Spin, but you assume it was just the "muslim community", as you call them, who supported him, when infact he received votes from all members of the constituency. I don't like the man, but, if his win makes Labour think more about what people really want in this country, a real Labour Party, then he will have gone someway to having achieved at least one promise made?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2012 16:18:21 BDT
Spin says:
I am not...: It was the asian votes which one the election for him, and the asians which hoisted him upon thier shoulders, celebrating with an uncommon delirium; a scene reminiscent of occurances in muslim nations.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2012 21:21:27 BDT
wobberoo says:
I thought "Bradford Spring" was a new bottled water!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2012 21:23:33 BDT
Spin says:
Wob: Good one. Have a drink on me. =)

Posted on 1 Apr 2012 21:31:36 BDT
Spin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 10:52:09 BDT
Pipkin says:
Hi Molly,
I am really interested to know what it is about Galloway that you don't like? Putting aside his appearance in BB, and being a bit of a womaniser, and of course his alleged accounting discrepancy.....
Is there nothing in what he says that you would agree with, because whenever I have heard him speak, I find myself agreeing with more of what he says, than I disagree with.
I know I wouldn't get on with him, in real life, because he is very forthright, and takes no prisoners, but his heart seems to be in the right place. Fact is we can see everything - warts and all, and nothing is hidden, so IMO he starts off from a place of transparency? Which to me is a bonus - No?
Party Politics - or the 'old boys club'...... is dead in the water. People ARE waking up to the fact that they all p**s in the same pot which is divided up between them.
We need to be able to vote for people who are working for us and not their Party. Yes they will be imperfect, like we are.... but the proof will b in the pudding. Quite frankly, I am sick to death of hearing the Politician's points of view.... I can't ever remember any of them saying anything that related to me, or how I think. Except -dare I say it; Galloway, who appears to be on my wave length more than any of the others. I watched Milliband last night and marvelled at the way he evaded answering the questions that were asked, what a plonker, and soooo frustrating!!
Please don't change your tag again, it doesn't take much to confuse me :P
Regards,
Margaret.

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 11:38:54 BDT
David Rudd says:
I used to think that, whilst Britain is losing its moral compass, at least the majority Muslim community in this country retains a sense of honour and dignity. Clearly, this does not apply to the Muslims of Bradford who voted for Galloway.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 11:56:06 BDT
Pipkin says:
Hello DrDR
Would you mind clarifying why the Muslims who voted for Galloway lost their honour and dignity?

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 12:07:56 BDT
David Rudd says:
Anyone who goes on an inane TV show (I think it was Big Brother???) and pretends to be a cat licking milk out of some woman's hands becomes a symbol of the things that are degrading and unpalatable about Britain. Anyone who votes for such a person - whether they be Muslim or not - is to some extent identifying with that.

My comment is not an anti-Islamic one. It's just to point out that, in my view, it's a pity that a community which is known for its high values has voted for such a candidate.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 13:11:41 BDT
C. A. Small says:
DRDR " a community known for it's high values"- such as homophobia, honour killings, misogyny, lack of humour, and demands that everyone kow tow to their ridiculous prophet's belief?

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 13:15:32 BDT
There were 10,000 proxy votes cast in this by-election - a suspiciously high number, surely?
Galloway was right - though he didn't mean it this way - when he said the Bradford spring was like the Arab spring.
Both were media sensations, with no discernible benefit for the peoples involved.
Egyptians are still under military rule. Libya is a scene of disaster, disorder, widespread use of torture, warring tribes, break-up of the country, and foreign exploitation.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 13:25:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Apr 2012 18:41:02 BDT
Pipkin says:
Hi,
So would that include any actor who represents an animal? Would they be degrading Britain? I just see it as a stupid action, showing that he was comfortable in his own skin and had nothing to hide.
I personally find that people who are uninhibited make me uncomfortable, but that's just because I am reserved, to a degree.
If we are going to censor all daft things on TV, then we are going to be left with a lot of stuff which many might consider boring.
Give the chap a chance. Actually listen to what he says. It is quite refreshing, and not just a reiteration and confirmation of what all the rest are saying..
What I find unpalatable are all the present political parties who take us all to be fools, and shaft us at every opportunity either one way or the other.
'Tick the box. Shut up and pay up. Do as you're told, and we will please ourselves.' That should be their motto. It would be more honest.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 13:27:03 BDT
David Rudd says:
C. A. Small: O.K. You've got me there. Maybe some things honourable and others which are definitely not.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 13:39:15 BDT
David Rudd says:
M. E. Phelan: That's got to make me very boring (at least when it comes to telly) - I don't like any daft stuff on TV except Dad's Army, Fawlty Towers and the like.

My objection to Galloway's carryings-on is that they were degrading... and those who watch such degrading stuff on TV degrade themselves.

I would not apply strict censorship to TV programmes - if people want to feast on pig swill, let them. It's one of the ways in which the high and mighty keep us stupefied so we don't realise the calamity and collapse that Britain is heading towards.

If Galloway can do anything positive to address this issue then I'll count it as all credit to him.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 13:39:36 BDT
C. A. Small says:
dr dr- exactly- individual muslims can be and often are highly honest and decent people- the religion is nothing of the sort.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 14:15:35 BDT
David Rudd says:
I found this in the Holy Qur'an:

(ordinary brackets are in Abdullah Yusuf Ali's text) [square brackets are my inserts]

'Fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war). But if they repent [i.e. become Muslims]... then open the way for them: for Allah is oft-forgiving, most merciful' (Qur'an, Surah 9:5).

'Fight those who believe not in Allah... nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book [i.e. Jews and Christians], until they pay the jizyah [a punitive tax to be paid by non-Muslims to Muslim overlords] with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued (Qur'an, Surah 9:29).

Quotations taken from The Holy Qur'an, translated by Abdullah Yusuf Ali (Ware: Wordsworth Editions Ltd, 2000).

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2012 18:00:14 BDT
Pipkin says:
Hi DrDR,
I have to agree with everything you say? I am also very boring and seek out all the old stuff, like Darling Buds of May when times were more kind and moral? It is absolutely true that those who order the TV programmes do so with the exact intention of mind numbingly distracting people from what is at hand, and playing to the lowest intellect.
The fact is that I am more drawn to people who show their 'humanity' and are imperfect. Like Dennis Skinner who calls it exactly as it is John Smith who seemed to die very suddenly, Robin Cook who also died on a walking holiday, Anthony Wedgewood Benn, David Blunkett, and Micheal Foot - who was one the most honest people and said to be the finest orator ever seen in Westminster, but when he refused to sell his soul, was then villified and ridiculed as being a bumbling idiot by the Media and their Monied backers. A wicked state of affairs was allowed to ensue; and more appalingly people believed it and then voted for Kinnock who sold the Labour party down the river, and it has never recovered IMO, and is now nothing more than another tentacle of the Boys Club.
It is time for a complete change. Get rid of all ''Party'' politics and vote solely for Independents who have to work together in a Coalition, for the benefit of the people and not the party.
As for career Politicians, I detest the lot of the self seeking ********
and will never understand how Public schoolboys have been allowed to get a stranglehold on our Political system. How in God's name can they know what I need or want?
Incidentally, I affiliate to no Party at all, and am very
eager to see how Galloway's election will affect things now.
It will be very interesting to see him on Question time?
Regards,
Margaret.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 17:43:37 BDT
Call me a sentimental old softie, but I have an instinctual attraction to old-fashioned Scottish communists, even when they shirk work, and cynically pursue the Muslim vote.

And I can forgive pussy cats who eat out of Rula Lenska's hand.

What I can never forgive is "Sir, I salute your courage......
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the politics discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's missing in North Korea? 341 2 minutes ago
Is Sport News? 834 5 minutes ago
Think on this.... 25 12 minutes ago
Austria reject far right president. 72 26 minutes ago
Islamic State to take London Fashion week by storm. 9 32 minutes ago
The pratroll gets a visit... 57 34 minutes ago
Spin on this .... 2 59 minutes ago
Swivel on this .... 1 1 hour ago
Move aside, here come the machines. 7 1 hour ago
"I don't like the way the EU is going... 56 1 hour ago
Politics needs wisdom not knowledge. 14 2 hours ago
Suck on this .... 3 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  politics discussion forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  30 Mar 2012
Latest post:  7 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions