Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Using Cokin Filters with a DSLR (DNikon 5100 ) and Picasa editing system

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Dec 2012 13:55:02 GMT
J. J. Evans says:
Has anyone any information/advice regarding the use of Cokin filters with a DSLR camera (Nikon D5100) and Picasa computer editing system - printing on an Epson Stylus SX425W printer?

Posted on 22 Dec 2012 19:58:53 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
What sort of advice J.J.?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2012 20:01:26 GMT
Quiverbow says:
Be more specific.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 19:43:16 GMT
J. J. Evans says:
Thanks for the interest in my query. I was wondering if there is any "interference" as between the Cokin filter and the DSLR recording system and then as regards using a Picasa system - a kind of "personality clash" if you like. Really I guess I wondered if the results might be of an inferior quality.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 19:46:45 GMT
J. J. Evans says:
Hi Quiverbrow, Your question is identical to that raised by Mr. Hearn. I have replied to that - as well as I can. Is it likely that I would need to do things in some different fashion from the straightforward or can I , in other words, just leave it to the camera ( a Nikon D5100 which I have recently bought as my Christmas present to myself) to sort out ? Does that make sense ?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2012 20:37:18 GMT
There isn't much point using straight colour filters IMO so I assume you are thinking of grads. I should check out some of the web sites like Luminous landscapes for more info.
My limited experience suggests that you just need to suck it and see. You could get some cheap ones to try before you invest a lot in Cokin stuff.

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 22:06:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Dec 2012 22:18:15 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Personally, the only filters I use with digital are polarisers and graduated ND filters. I wouldn't bother with the coloured ones as they're for black & white film, and you can easily convert colour files into B&W with the simulated effect of different filters in Picasa. Maybe not to the same quality as film, but plenty good enough for web use.

To answer your specific query, No. There will be no problems with using any sort of coloured filters with a DSLR. Maybe using a linear polariser rather than a circular polarizer might confuse the autofocus, but almost all polarizers are of the circular variety nowadays anyway. Certainly you won't do any harm, whatever combinations you try.
If you have the kit lens then you need 52mm filters.

If you need better results than Picasa can give, then maybe you could start shootiing in RAW instead of JPEG and use a better editing suite like Lightroom. That way, you can alter every parameter on the computer, even white balance and such. Unless you're going to use them with film also, I wouldn't bother with buying filters myself apart from the two mentioned above.
But as Dr G says, try it and see if you wish. The advantage with digital is that you can try all this stuff and see the results instantly. You can of course also practice without incurring film processing costs.
Have fun!

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 22:39:08 GMT
J. J. Evans says:
Many thanks for the advice. I have an old Cokin ND Graduated filter but it doesn't seem to carry any markings - except for some very slight abrasions that have found their way onto the surface. I also have the mount equipment which is in as-new order so all I need to do is to replace the ND Grads and, as you say, suck it and see. I am finding the new Nikon a little daunting to use and have rarely ventured beyond the auto setting. Maybe I'm just playing for time, as it were, and simply need to get down to cases. I shall order some new filters tomorrow - perhaps with a star-burst or two - just for fun.

Once again, thanks to all for your interest.

John Evans.

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 23:12:54 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Try this John:

http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5100/users-guide/index.htm

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 01:35:27 GMT
I suppose you may find ND filters useful to get long exposures for that milky look in pics of moving water as well as grads.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2012 11:59:07 GMT
J. J. Evans says:
Thanks Mr. Hearn - I bought 2 what I call "how to live with the D5100" books. One was so badly written (it seemed to me) that I lost patience with it it and it now lodges somewhere in the bottom of a book-case. The other is one of those "...for Dummies" series of books and is much more helpful. As I say, I am now at the stage of needing (and wanting) to get out and about with the brute - but the weather is not being too co-operative just now. I am not entirely new to DSLRs as I have owned an Olympus E-20 P for some years. However it has broken down and seems to have died. Repairs are expensive ( or, to be accurate, having the thing examined prior to repair - some 98 just for an inspection is what I was quoted by two companies ) to the extent that I decided I deserved a new camera anyway. I had not used the Olympus for about 3 years and it "died" some time during that period, without my knowledge or permission. At the same time I knew I could have bought a second-hand Olympus for under 150. Anyway, the die is cast and I am learning to love D5100 !!!!

Posted on 24 Dec 2012 20:28:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Dec 2012 00:03:22 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
I like Nikons too. I only use my D90 a handful of times each year, mainly because I can't be bothered with the weight and bulk when compared to my Olympus OM-2n film cameras, but they're my favourite brand of 'serious' camera by far.

You could always grab an ND filter, your tripod and head out into somewhere busy to do some long exposure light trails? Keeps people amused in the winter.

Have fun!

Graham.

Posted on 10 May 2014 15:01:35 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 10 May 2014 15:02:26 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the photography discussion forum (764 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  22 Dec 2012
Latest post:  10 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions