Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Olympus Trip Pages

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 215 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Jan 2012 00:52:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2012 01:56:36 GMT
X says:
Wooppiiee! I've just landed my Trip, and I sure did not stumble! It's a purchase from a friend, but that did not get me down to that fabulous fiver price. Jealous? Moi? Yup, but I might get over it

It's nice to meet up again with an old friend, although I was too infatuated with all the toys of the OM2 kit I already had when I bought that first Trip: I didn't use it nearly enough. This one is a refurb, with the black shutter release, and it's amazing how fresh it has remained. I've just brought it home and loaded it with some 2009 dated Fuji Pro 160S I had in the back of the fridge, so the first roll will test the quality of the slightly old film, the old-ish camera and the antiquity pressing the shutter release, simultaneously.

I started this dedicated thread because I believe there will soon be many folk on this forum owning or about to own a Trip. (There might be more where I found mine.) I hope we can open other dedicated threads for popular film cameras, to keep things tidy, (said the poacher freshly self-anointed as gamekeeper...), and to have the most tangible evidence to show Amazon they need to support the interest in film photography which they would see for themselves if they looked at the film photography items their own search-engine finds on their sales listings.

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 01:44:14 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Well done Ed!

I'm sure you'll be conversing lots with Liz very soon on all matters Trip-related. Great fun little camera, and surprisingly good quality images. I wouldn't mind borrowing another one with maybe some slide film, a tripod and a cable release. Use an external meter, wait until conditions match the Trip's capabilities exactly then shoot a landscape with it.

I reckon the results would give owners of top-end DSLR's some real food for thought...

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 01:54:04 GMT
X says:
Hi Graham: Basically my Trip is a Trip Man equivalent at 30-ish instead of 55. That decision really was a no-brainer, so I was largely qualified to make it.

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 02:02:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2012 02:04:57 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Nice job! What are you planning to eventually do with it and what are you planning to feed it with? I'd guess at street/casual landscape stuff and Reala 100?

I'd love to see what a Trip will look like running Kodak Professional Ektar 100. "Very, Very Good" would be my guess!
Although then of course I know I'll regret having sold mine.

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 11:10:09 GMT
X says:
Graham: I've been doing very, very little colour film work recently, so I'm interested in seeing what comes out of the Fuji Pro 360S. After that roll I shall make myself open to suggestions; I need to shake off some of my crazy habits and that narrow field of view when it comes to buying things. Like the Olympus-nut bought an Olympus Trip...

The folk who sold me the Trip are building up a sweet little business here in South Hampshire; I might well join their projected camera club, which they want to infuse with interest in film. We shall see: today's spanner in the works is the weather...

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 20:39:23 GMT
Liz says:
Congratulations, X, on finding a Trip! Mine was cheap and extremely lucky - I found it on Christmas Eve - like an early Christmas present - but it's not film tested yet. I've got a roll of fuji superia 200 and a roll of Ilford HP5 400 black and white film - so I can take both cameras with me, knowing that the light etc is the same and the only difference is the film - a useful comparison.

I'm noticing a lot of expensive new digitals being designed with the look of old film cameras just like this - the fuji x100 that looks like a replica of a Leica Rangefinder film camera and has 'black and white' and 'velvia' settings.

There are several Olympus trip groups on flikr and other 'old school point'n'click' cameras with thousands of photos between them.

Hoping for some better weather to actually go out and use the camera

Have fun

Liz

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 20:53:33 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jan 2012 20:56:05 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Hi Ed,

I like PRO160S. Or at least I did! I have the final 8 or so rolls of it in the fridge still. What I especially liked about it was its natural colours. So many colour negative films seem to have a boosted redd-ish range. I guess this was a natural development when you consider that up until the early 2000's most people bought colour negative for their holiday pictures, so a film that emphasised skin tones and had good exposure latitude was what was chiefly needed.

PRO160S on the other hand was designed for professionals who used it for work such as product photos, marketing, etc. and it was designed to be as neutral and accurate as possible. I found PRO160S great for use on "Things" as opposed to people. I mean, it did people well enough, but there are other cheaper options that would do that just as well but not be as good with the inanimate objects that PRO160S really excells at. It reproduced buildings, stone, steel, chrome etc. really well and with great clarity and sharpness.
It's a shame it's no longer made in 135, but I have high hopes for the Ektar 100 that's on the way to me even as we speak.

Although as Liz says, all we need now is some decent light.

Posted on 3 Jan 2012 23:49:01 GMT
X says:
Liz, Graham: I've been so obsessed with using monochrome film that the random use of colour is going to give interesting results, I am sure. Just as soon as branches stop falling off trees and that strange shiny thing gets its chariot swinging across the sky again I intend to get shooting. You hit Nirvana with your Trip, Liz, since the cost of disappointment is so far below the pain threshold. I am still seething with unavowable jealousy. (Doh!) I made a few shots of my Trip to make my son want one, (cheap present for his next birthday coming up...), so as soon as I can figure out how to plumb my camera into my laptop you will all understand why I have become so amorous.

I like the presentation of Pro 160S. I'm expecting results which will have me hunting around for its nearest current ersatz.

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 00:42:00 GMT
Liz says:
Hi X

just as well the Trip was cheap as the car decided to breach the pain threshold this week, through a combination of the insurance and MOT being due and due to the final demise of the dodgy battery, today.

I'd been checking the charity shops once or twice a week since the summer. They mostly seem to put the more valuable donations on the auction site, but I think that this was old stock that was overlooked. I was amazed to see it there. I've never seen an SLR in the shop but sometimes, there are very old compact cameras - so I'll continue looking in, from time to time!

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your new camera. Meanwhile, I'll sort out those light seals and wait for some sunshine!

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 15:36:03 GMT
X says:
Liz: Here's my baby:

https://plus.google.com/photos/102113384828533142527/albums/5693798300802267681

If you tickle her under the lens mount she giggles. Am I mad about her? Yup! Mad, bad and proud to be.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2012 17:44:02 GMT
Liz says:
Hi X

403. That's an error.
We're sorry, but you do not have access to this document. That's all we know.

Shame, I was looking forward to seeing the camera!

Liz

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 18:14:20 GMT
X says:
Liz: I was "helped" by the local fourteen-year-old. I'll go back and do it all myself. Don't wait up...

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 18:42:04 GMT
X says:
Liz: Now you know I am ------- with a computer, hence the utility of the neighbour's son, or not when he doesn't explain what he does... The file was locked, and with luck it should not be now;

https://plus.google.com/photos/102113384828533142527/albums/5693798300802267681/5693798320179188802

If that doesn't work I shall need an ego repair kit and a charitable soul who can give me walk through instructions for loading to Picasa.

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 18:54:21 GMT
Liz says:
Still getting an error message - it could be that I don't have the necessary permissions to view it, or it could be that I also need Picasa on my computer. I'll install it, try again, and get back to you

Liz

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2012 19:08:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2012 19:11:37 GMT
Hi Liz & Ed
I'm getting the error message too - and I do have Picasa
I can get onto Knut's Olympus albums. There is a picture of a snakeskin(?) covered Trip

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 19:34:10 GMT
X says:
Doc: I blame you for not helping me earlier, (O, sweet perfidy!), because that's the one. Now if you could tell me how I managed to do it without knowing I was doing it... I'll stick it on Picasa; maybe that new Google all-inclusive set-up is more trouble than it's worth.

I was lucky to find such a discreet design leather on that Trip, but it'll be the results that will count.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jan 2012 20:33:36 GMT
Hi Ed,
Try the root only
https://plus.google.com/photos/102113384828533142527/albums
That does it for me,

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 20:50:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jan 2012 20:52:29 GMT
X says:
Hello Doc: Doh! I have been in Ignorance Display mode all day, it seems. That camera is that good all round, inside and out, and everything seems to do what it should do.

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 21:45:09 GMT
Liz says:
Success at last! I can see why you are so pleased, X. My turn to be envious! A very nice camera

Liz

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 21:59:59 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Yeah! It's a bit... Rock 'n' Roll! Got the shoes to go with it? ;-)

Posted on 5 Jan 2012 14:51:26 GMT
X says:
Graham H: Now now! It actually matches my polychrome socks, of which I rarely wear two that match, just to enjoy staring at people staring at them. It will be the same for that gloriously garish Trip.

Posted on 5 Jan 2012 20:46:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jan 2012 23:47:52 GMT
Liz says:
Nice camera! I am sure that it will be eye catching in a positive way!

Posted on 5 Jan 2012 22:04:19 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Ha ha!! No, it looks great! The one of TripMan's that I almost bought was trimmed in orangey-tan leather. Which sounds disgusting, but along with the two gloss black borders between the leather and the matt chrome case looked really smart.

Remarkably reminiscent of this, in fact:

http://www.thecoolist.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/leica_hermes_limited-edition-m7_5.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jan 2012 22:39:01 GMT
Liz says:
I like that - orange is good. So is X's camera. I've found a few sites that do stick on 'skins' for these cameras, so I might get a couple of new covers, too. I thought I liked the original black, but they look so much better with a little beautifying!

Posted on 5 Jan 2012 22:44:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jan 2012 22:47:33 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
The reason people re-cover them is that in order to service them you have to peel off the covering on the front. And being 30 - plus years old and brittle it doesn't stick back down again, even assuming you manage to peel it off in one piece! But yes, they do look good coloured.

Here's the one I fancied:

http://www.tripman.co.uk/www.tripman.co.uk/info.php?p=2&pid=3402639&ack=9
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  215
Initial post:  3 Jan 2012
Latest post:  29 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions