Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Film Corner - JUST film, not digital.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2011 17:41:36 GMT
Graham, What kind of film scanner have you bought that's only
good for 7"x5"? My Epson 4180 flatbed would produce
excellent A3 prints with a 1290 printer from 35mm. Unfortunately,since I changed my computer last year, I can't get it to work. I've tried downloading new drivers from Epson,
but it still won't work even though it says the download was
successful. I'm not clever enough with computers to know what to do next. I've no experience with the Canon A1 or AE-1, but the FD lenses that I used on my FTb were superb. I
also had two Nikon F90X's and liked them very much, but they
had to go with all the rest. Michael.

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 17:49:54 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Feb 2011 17:50:38 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Hi MIchael.

It was this one:

Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner

It looks great on the B&W negatives I've tried so far and could probably go bigger than 7x5" without too much worry, but that's just the size I'd want to print for my old holiday snaps etc.

Trouble is it's not good on colour negatives. Everything has a blue-ish cast that I can't seem to get rid of. I've emailed the makers, but it may well have to go back unless there's something silly I'm missing. Which is unlikely. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2011 18:27:01 GMT
Have you tried any slides? Just in case the base colour of the film is upsetting it. Otherwise I'd dump it or exchange it at least.

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 18:30:08 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
It's going back Doc.

If you switch it on and open the tray door you can see that the light coming off the "light table" inside isn't white - it's very, very pale blue.

Whilst it could be the case that the software they're using corrects for this, I doubt it very much somehow and it's too much of a coincidence. I reckon it's a duff LED. Anyway, I'll return it within the 7 days and have a refund. I was doubtful about it in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2011 19:50:16 GMT
Graham, Wow, sounds very swish, but you should expect far
more than 7"x5" from a film scanner; A3 at least. Michael.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Feb 2011 20:10:35 GMT
Doc, I'd never heard of the Ihagee Auto Ultrix, but I looked it up on Camerapedia. Looks interesting. Up until last year, when I sold the lot, I had about 20 old folders. There were several Zeiss Nettars, all with different shutters, although all had the
Novar lens. One was a 6x9 model. I had two Ensign Selfix cameras, an 820 with flip up viewfinder and a 6x4.5 model (can't remember the model no.), several Baldas, Voigtlander
Bessa and Perkeo and an unusual Mamiya 6 with a Zuiko lens
and a focussing system that moved the film back and forth.
All gone to ebay. Couldn't believe how much the Selfix 820 fetched. Sympathise with you re the missus. I've lost count of the times when I've sneaked cameras into the house and hidden them in the shirt drawer. They're not daft though; weeks later when I'd dare to bring it out on its first airing she'd
say, "When did that arrive, I've not seen that one before."
And there's me thinking she didn't know a Leica from a Zenith.
I eventually discovered that she was doing the same thing with shoes, clothing and jewellery, so I consider us squits.
Michael.

Posted on 8 Feb 2011 21:06:25 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Ha ha! The old "Oh, this old thing? You've seen me in this before, haven't you? You haven't? Shows how much attention you pay me! Mother was right, etc. etc". trick. :-)

Michael: Yes, the scanner probably would have been fine for bigger prints, it's just that 7x5 is what I have in "Snaps" albums as it's what I used to choose in the days of processing my point'n'shoots and I just kept to that size for consistency.

Anyway, it's largely academic as it's going back, sadly. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2011 10:42:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Feb 2011 10:55:34 GMT
Graham,
A quick scan of Ebay shows several Photo scanners at very low cost and seemingly in good nick. I bet they would be better than the Veho, if bigger. The product descriptions for Epson are on the net so you can check the specs.

Oh no; I put in a trivial bid for another Ihagee last night - and won it. Its a pull out lens panel model or Simplex. I'll choose the one I like and sell the other - honest.

The 6x4.5 Ensign is probably a 16-20. That reminds me - I won a 6x4.5 Nettar too for not much.
I read somewhere that the Novar lenses were subcontracted out for manufacture to Rodenstock and some by Hensoldt (never heard of them but apparently they invented Dialyt binoculars and are part of Zeiss since 1928)

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 11:45:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Feb 2011 13:48:04 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Thanks Doc.

I'll give an Epson some thought once this Veho job has gone back and I've been refunded. I don't want to be stuck with kit I haven't yet returned and then buy more.
The unfortunate thing is that this little scanner is great - if all you do is B&W. If they left off the built-in light and just had the white diffuser screen at the bottom it would probably be a lot better as you could use your own light source (Like a light box, or even reflected daylight, as in microscopes of old). The colours may still need a little correction, but they'd be nowhere near as way-off as they are now.
I find it hard to believe that they're all like that, as the Amazon reviews are generally well up in the 4 or 5 star area. I still believe that mine may have a duff white LED which is down on power and not giving out its proper wavelength. My white LED keyring torch has exactly the same hue when it's batteries are almost dead.
I reckon if they wouldn't accept the return for any reason I'd probably take it apart and modify it as above! The illumination section can be removed without affecting the focus of the rest of the unit.

Hey! You're getting as bad as me for Ebay Dr G! I'm trying to stay off it now except to sell some bits and bobs. It's too easy to get tempted.

Just had a call to tell me that the Canon A1 is all ready for collection. No major nasties, so the standard service charge will apply. Jolly good! Will try and collect it next week.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 14:00:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Feb 2011 14:29:57 GMT
B. G. Eager says:
Hi Doc et al,
Item number: 170588862191, Exakta Varex Auto Rods
I won the auction at the price of £3.99 and had it sent to my friend in Sutton Coldfield so won't be able to report on it until after my Mid April sojourn back to UK to meet the new grandchildren - I have also got a large cardboard box of all sorts (35mm) awaiting pickup from the same location including a clockwork 1970s rangefinder of some Japanese make (temp forgotten the make) a couple of junior Canons like the AV Etc and some underwater cameras I think a Canon and a Sea Star (springs to mind).
saw this in my favourites list regards the scanning of colour pos and neg films:
http://www.slashedcanvas.info/photography/negscan.htm

I am enjoying all the contributors -some good stuff - my Rannoch Moor must be the Stari Most over the local spring in my adopted home town of Livno out here in West Bosnia google the term Duman Stari Most* in images and you will be blighted by me as (Brian395) but what else can you do ha ha *this filters out a band called Duman (Turkish for Mist) now try that sorry..!

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 14:13:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Feb 2011 14:15:01 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
Thanks for the link Brian! That was a very interesting read.

I have a habit of over-exposing negative film myself. My hunch was that it would still hold the highlights at maybe a stop over, so I've always done that. The OM-1 makes this especially easy, since the range inside the lightmeter needle scale between plus and minus is reckoned to be 1 stop, ie: pegging the needle against the top and not exceeding that point gives half a stop over. Good to know I was thinking along the right lines.

I'd take issue with this bit though:

"...35mm film attachments for quality flatbed scanners cannot compete with dedicated 35mm film scanners."

Really?? They couldn't be any bloody worse than the dedicated one I just tried! Maybe he means the proper ones at professional labs.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 14:26:04 GMT
B. G. Eager says:
Ha ha yes proof is in the eating......but I am being drawn towards a V600 Epson scanner for sheer weight of good reviews on the web, I will be saving some space by jettisoning a HP - D155xi printer/fax/scanner but sadly not a toaster which in its lifetime of 9 years has had two issues of print heads and numerous refills / brand and other makes but has now out-lived it usefulness - only being kept for the scanner platen and the sheet feeder scanner cost around £580 from Makro the wholesaler and nowadays something similar can be gotten for around 230 marks in Bosnia (£100) same setup only with extra wi-fi functions just less cost and around a third of the size.
Now when does my next pension cheque come in?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2011 14:31:08 GMT
My Epson 4180 flatbed with 35mm attachment could compete
very favourably with my mate's dedicated Canon film scanner
which cost him over £700.00 about 4 years ago. Michael

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 14:38:56 GMT
B. G. Eager says:
Just Amazoned that and one came up with one in the states at $55 can't be bad - none on UK site but I am still in the info seeking stage Mike and will probably jump ship somewhere..! (post-April)

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 14:43:08 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
I think I might have to investigate that model too if they're as reasonably priced as that. Just as soon as this Veho one has gone back and I've been refunded.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 14:59:19 GMT
B. G. Eager says:
Michael, this piece here does explain a wee bit about driver issues and this on a lateish V600 but I place it on here to point out the legacy issues with XP now no longer fixed with MS Updates and Vista looking to go the same way in 2012 very few old printer or scanners will have updated drivers as you already know - so if hard cash is spent on a 2nd hand or you have a new OS going in soon do check compatibility issues in the forums - there is enough on the subject so as not to get caught out
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002TAA3MY/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 15:47:05 GMT
B. G. Eager says:
Graham - half way down this list is an interesting short guide called 'Short Course on Scanning' which maybe helpful - it's on a V600 page I am looking at: -
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/V600/V600.HTM#sho

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 16:09:56 GMT
B. G. Eager says:
Michael, my last on this sub topic but thought it maybe of help, this link goes to Vuescan which can be downloaded asa trial and paid for later if works or is liked.....it claims to be able to mesh in the majority of scanners out there and has some reviews down the right side which might be worth reading: -
http://www.hamrick.com/

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2011 16:37:32 GMT
Thanks for that, I'll take a look, although I'm beginning to resign
myself to having to cough up for a new one, probably an Epson
V500, which gets pretty good reviews on Amazon, except for one numpty who gives it one star. Michael.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 16:38:57 GMT
G. E. Hearn says:
And I bet that one star was because it turned up late or was missing a cable or something? I don't know why people do that on product reviews.

It's THE PRODUCT you're reviewing, NOT the service, losers!

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2011 17:07:53 GMT
Spot on Graham.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 17:12:28 GMT
I tried downloading Vuescan, but I still can't get my scanner to work. Vuescan
installed correctly and recognised my scanner and 'driver installed correctly and
ready to use' appears, but when I come to use it, nothing happens and a
message 'Vuescan not responding' appears, so I give up. Michael.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 17:14:44 GMT
B. G. Eager says:
Not good news Michael, is the scanner lamp flashing on during this or totally devoid of life

Brian

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Feb 2011 17:28:29 GMT
Brian, Power is getting to the machine as it lights up, but it
won't scan when you press the buttons. It worked perfectly on my old computer (XP), so I guess it isn't compatible with
Windows 7. Michael.

Posted on 9 Feb 2011 17:37:42 GMT
B. G. Eager says:
Michael when you downloaded new drivers was there a choice of either 32 bit or 64 bit ? are you happy you have got the 'exact' drivers you need? Most new computers & laptops sold from about two years ago are all 64 bit and won't work with the old drivers ........so firstly what OS are you using and do you know what you down loaded by going back to the download site and checking what it is they are offering and being exact in what you down loaded, After these steps then there are the need to check up the Control Panel Scanners and printers dialog boxes and see if they have registered the old scanner / if they have then try right clicking on the scanner icon and setting it as the default and take a look at the topic headings above to see if you can test scan etc!

Brian
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  82
Total posts:  2693
Initial post:  17 Jan 2011
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions