Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Film Corner - JUST film, not digital.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1051-1075 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 14 May 2012 13:50:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 May 2012 15:17:32 BDT
X says:
Grahams, TJ: The report I read claimed the camera was pristine. If I were that sort of purchaser I would pay more for a well-used camera with an interesting provenance, like having belonged to Lartigue. I wonder how many Chinese factories are changing their production from genuine batteries and camera bags to "New, genuine, one of only 12 in existence, Leica 35mm camera with genuine Leica sensor. Order Quick! Only 500 available!"?

Posted on 14 May 2012 14:09:29 BDT
T.J.Byford says:
X, but the clue would be "Only 500 available". But I take your point. This is something that watch collectors have to look out for, I gather. So many superb fakes come from that part of the world and which are difficult to tell from the original, except by those knowledgeable in such matters.

Posted on 14 May 2012 15:18:38 BDT
X says:
TJ: They don't care about clues, only about naivety.

Posted on 19 May 2012 16:43:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 May 2012 16:44:35 BDT
G. E. Hearn says:
Blow me down! I was in town just now and I thought I'd pop into my local Kodak centre (Where I get my big prints done) to see if they still process C-41.

Yes, they do. Process only? 1.50 a roll. Process and scan to CD? 2.50!!!

I know where I'll be going from now on. The Post Office can poke their 2.70 charge to post a roll of film right up where the Sun don't shine. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2012 17:17:09 BDT
That sounds like excellent value - I must see if we have one around here.

Posted on 19 May 2012 19:36:54 BDT
C. J. Calver says:
Indeed Graham, wish their scans were better than 5Mp though! I have been usinfg them for some time

Posted on 19 May 2012 19:40:05 BDT
X says:
Graham H: Well then, armed with my brand new bus pass, (for disability, not for age...), I shall make an inexpensive day trip out of my processing, rather than holding back the films to save money on postage. And I won't ask you why you think the Post Office has a dark-room; they just ferry things around, they don't do the developing.

Posted on 19 May 2012 21:51:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 May 2012 23:00:08 BDT
G. E. Hearn says:
Well C.J, the scans don't really bug me all that much because I've got my Epson V330 at home, which does a cracking job. I can live with developing only quite happily.
Of course, the only process they can do is C-41, but that bothers me not because C-41 is the only format that I use that I can't develop at home. Bonus!

Posted on 20 May 2012 15:48:05 BDT
C. J. Calver says:
Good point Graham, in fact I do the same thing myself! It is a pity that they cant do the higher res scans though, I have a cheap scanner (if 100 can be considered cheap) that does as good scans as the Kodak shop, but its still nice to get the scans to look at with the negatives and index prints. I suppose we all like a bit of instant gratification!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 15:48:25 BDT
Hi Graham,
I see you can get black touch up paint for cameras now. I have used indelible marker in the past.

Posted on 21 May 2012 15:55:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2012 15:55:55 BDT
G. E. Hearn says:
All my black cameras are plastic, so I could just polish out the scratches. For repairing dents in black electric guitars I've used nail varnish in the past. Build it up in several layers then flat it back with 800 grit wet'n'dry. Once that's done, use cutting compound to bring to a shine. Works superbly. You could easily fix a deep scratch or a minor dent in a camera body with that technique.

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 09:22:36 BDT
G. E. Hearn says:
Today's interesting read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/technology/personaltech/film-photographys-revival-in-a-digital-world.html?_r=2

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2012 09:45:39 BDT
T.J.Byford says:
Ha,ha!

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 09:54:05 BDT
Alex MacPhee says:
That was an interesting and engaging read, though it seems to me that the writer rather over-plays the "imperfections of film" and the almost "random" and quirky nature of colour rendition. It can too easily be overlooked that film is technologically highly advanced (I'm trying to avoid saying 'developed'!), and when I'm out and about with my Contax N1 and a complement of Zeiss lenses, I'm not the poor cousin of anyone with a consumer-grade dSLR. As to "dropping [a film camera] on the sidewalk" while loading it, the only camera I have ever dropped, in fifty years of photography, has been my smartphone.

He's certainly on the mark on the effect of the constraints of a limited number of shots, which is ironically one of the liberating features of film, that you weigh each shot more carefully. That's even more true of medium format, especially if it's a venerable and photographically senior folder with only eight shots a roll!

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 11:14:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jun 2012 11:15:31 BDT
G. E. Hearn says:
Oh yeah, it's an article very heavily weighted in favour of the Lomo crowd, but the more the merrier. At the very least it might help sway the argument that manufacturers dropping film ranges is a mistake. We can live in hope anyway.
Can't say I've ever got "Random" results from my pics, but then again I break all the Lomo rules by knowing what I'm doing and setting up my OM-1 or Nikons accordingly. I'm not cool enough to wear a Lomo round my neck I'm afraid. ;-)

Posted on 1 Jun 2012 13:08:03 BDT
X says:
Graham H: As soon as the usual suspects flock blindly towards something deemed to be "cool" it becomes decidedly "uncool". Disclosing Lomo as the dialysis it really is is a very cool thing to do. I regret wasting time reading that paper; such a display of ignorance is not cool...

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2012 12:28:34 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Jun 2012 12:32:16 BDT]

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 01:51:55 BDT
Some advice please would be appreciated.
I have just found out that my dad has an OM2 SLR kit complete with 4 lenses. He even has the instruction manuals. I also know that he has not used this kit for many years now so i have no idea what condition it might be in.
I am interested in having a go with it all but would first of all need to check it works and i havent a clue as to what I should be looking out for or even where I would get the film needed.
As I said, all guidance would be appreciated.

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 07:38:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2012 12:44:39 BDT
G. E. Hearn says:
Reiverlad:

Lucky man! The OM-2 is a fantastic camera. It'll more than likely still be fine. Replace the batteries as a precaution (You need 2 SR44 silver oxide button cells):

Energizer Silver Oxide SR44 / EPX76 1.55 Volt Silver Oxide Batteries 2 Pack

And that's probably all you need to do. Bear in mind that the OM-2 will do some weird stuff if you try to test-fire it with dead batteries. It'll half-fire, or lock the mirror up, etc. You sometimes see them on Fleabay described as "Faulty" because someone's done this. Which is great for those of us who know about them: Just pop in a new pair and press the "Reset" switch!
The OM-2 is a tough professional camera and is built to last many, many years. At least one lifetime, probably more.

Film? You can get it anywhere, but Amazon is as good a place as any. I like Kodak Professional Ektar 100, which is a colour negative film:

Kodak Professional Ektar 100 - 135-36 - Colour Negative Print Film - 5 PACK!

There are a few example snaps on there that have been taken with my own OM-2 and this film. The ones of the shop window dummies were all done with that camera, so you can get an idea of what to expect.
Ektar 100 is a daylight colour film, so just the job for nice sunny days - If we ever get any - but those window shots were done at night with a long exposure and they came out well enough.

There's a massive wealth of knowledge about the OM series Olympus on this forum, so ask away if you want to know anything.
Meantime, here's a snap of my Oly collection:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181519_10150090381657998_1251142_n.jpg

Graham.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jun 2012 08:42:44 BDT
TeeDubya says:
I have a set of lenses (Zuiko) for OM1 or OM2 (my OM1 was damaged). Two zoom and two fixed.
Complete with real leather Olympus shoulder bag. Any interest here?

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 23:22:42 BDT
X says:
Reiverlad: An Olympus OM2 is a first class body, and Olympus lenses for it are up with the very best ever made for 35mm slr bodies. My approach to a newly discovered OM2 which has not been used for a very long time was always the same, from 1977 to 2011: Send the body for service by a reputable firm like Newton Ellis, or a top one-man band like Darron Barnes. Forking out 75 to 100 may seem excessive, but I always enjoyed knowing that whenever I saw what I wanted in the viewfinder and pressed the shutter I was calling on all the excellence of the camera. (I had this strange attraction to OM2s, all variants, and I just enjoyed getting them back to the top.)

It will be worth your tenner and your time to buy and read:

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

Enjoy! You have a right little beauty!

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 08:39:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2012 09:06:26 BDT
G. E. Hearn says:
From my favourite photographer's website comes this great post:

http://darktopography.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Career%20Suicide

I love his approach to film testing too. And it's also extra relevant to me because he uses the exact same set-up as me. Nikon F100, 50mm F/1.8 AF-D and Ektar 100:

http://darktopography.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/ektar-100-darktopo-film-test.html

This is a corker. I've been guilty of many of these!!

http://darktopography.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/photos-im-tired-of.html

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 11:26:57 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Jun 2012 16:37:39 BDT]

Posted on 20 Jun 2012 08:41:42 BDT
G. E. Hearn says:
Hurrah! Just won an Olympus Winder 2 for my OM's on Ebay.

Not sure how useful a motor drive will be on a manual camera, but for 12 including postage it's worth a punt. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2012 10:02:23 BDT
T.J.Byford says:
Hi, GEH. Great acquisition and price.

A couple of months ago I was also successful on ebay for a motorwinder for my M6 and which being Leica, and all the price hikes associated with such gear, I was surprised to get for just 10. This shoots at a modest max of 3 fps and I note yours is described as a motor drive which I believe indicates faster rates of fire.

But to get back to your question of how useful it will be on a manual camera. Based on my experience of a motor winder on my Minolta XD7 and now my M6, I have to say better on the M6. But this has nothing to do with frame rates, but simply with the M6 there is no interruption of viewing whilst the frames are fired off. Having to activate a wind-on lever in between shots inevitably moves the camera slightly from shot to shot, but being able to see and keep the subject framed all the time I found this useful when making slight framing adjustments. With the XD7 the efficacy of framing fell slightly behind the M6 but was still preferable to fully manual winding via the lever.

And despite the additional weight, I found both cameras handled better with the XD7 besting the M6 and where I found the camera/winder combo better balanced the weight of heavier zooms.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the photography discussion forum (764 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  82
Total posts:  2651
Initial post:  17 Jan 2011
Latest post:  16 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions