Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Panasonic Lumix TZ7 or Canon Ixus 980 IS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Jul 2009 16:38:20 BDT
Obvioulsy, they are 2 of the market leading digitals at the moment, and with such a high price tag, I am determined to get the right model. The Canon's 14.7 megapixels is a factor compared to the Panasonic's 10.1. Information and mainly figures (not prices) would be regarded kindly :)
Your reply to Polly Hillbilly's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 7 Jul 2009 19:35:00 BDT
A. Smith says:
Not sure the number of pixals should be your deciding factor especially, if like me, you print to A4 or less. Both are good cameras but I have just bought the TZ7 and am struggling to fault at present. The reason I went with the TZ7 is I have had several Panasonic cameras and have found them all excellent (but so are Canon) Whatever, enjoy ....

Posted on 8 Jul 2009 17:17:56 BDT
Charlie says:
I agree, the number of pixels shouldn't really worry you. What you have to remember is that the sensors in both the camera are the same size, so if one of them has a higher number of pixels then you have to allow more light through the lens. This is because each pixel on the sensor is smaller so you have to allow more time for the light hitting the sensor to get the same amount of light if the pixels were bigger. The lens on the panasonic is a Leica lens which in my opinion is better than the canon lens. I personally own a Canon SLR but if i was buying a compact i would most definitely buy the panasonic.

Posted on 9 Jul 2009 11:20:01 BDT
Ali Zaybak says:
Well the first question you need to answer is do you want a massive zoom or not? The Panasonic has a 12 x optical zoom compared to the Canon's 3.7 x zoom. If this is important then your choice is clear.

To be fair to the Canon the two cameras have been designed for different purposes. The Canon 980 IS is much smaller and lighter and is very highly regarded within the super compact camera sector. I don't think that 15million pixels are necessary on a compact camera with a small sensor and I suspect this is a number more for marketing purposes than for image quality.

The TZ7 on the other hand is something called most commonly a "compact superzoom". This category is distinguished by a large (10-12 x usually) optical zoom and comparatively small dimensions. They are larger than compacts such as the IXUS range (mainly due to the size of the lens) but much smaller than the bridge (SLR-like) superzooms such as the Powershot SX10 IS.

A fairer comparison would be of the cameras within the compact superzoom category: Panasonic TZ6 and TZ7, Canon SX200, Casio Exilim EX-H10, Olympus mju 9000, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 and the Samsung WB500.

Panasonic established this category in 2006 and continue to dominate in 2009 with the TZ7 widely considered the best of the bunch. I own the Canon SX200 because I like and trust Canon. My opinion of the SX200 is that it is a very good camera in most ways and I've taken some decent shots with it. The lens in particular is exceptional for the size and Canon's image stabilisation means that even at full zoom a handheld shot is not blurred. If you like more control over your photos such as aperture priority then Canon give you more options. On the other hand if you are after the class leading point and shoot then the Panasonic is the one to go for.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the photography discussion forum (767 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  5 Jul 2009
Latest post:  9 Jul 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions