Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Canon wireless infra-red remote controller LC-5

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jul 2009 06:00:18 BDT
William Tell says:
I have a Canon EOS 50D can anyone confirm that the the Canon LC-5 will connect and work with the 50D and has anyone used it and can pass on their comments.
Your reply to William Tell's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2009 01:21:52 BDT
brabason says:
Not sure if the LC-5 works with the 50D. Check the compatibility pages /optional extras in your manual. I've just looked this product up on the web; it is very fancy and more expensive than some cameras! It shows a cable on the camera mounted unit. This is where the compatibility is. There are lower cost alternatives.

It depends what you are planning to take shots of. Worth thinking that you will not have sight of your subject when using the LC-5 remotely, i.e. no use for macros or for wild life or anything that has a moving subject. If a fixed subject needs to be photographed at regular intervals, this may be a solution.

I use a cable release which is only £3.99 on Amazon. I use it with a very long lens (700 mm) for wild life photography, I spent my money on a hide and a gimbal head for my tripod. I operate the camera with my right hand (includes tracking) and shoot with my left hand using the cable release.

Posted on 14 Jul 2009 12:22:44 BDT
RoyCo says:
I bought the JJC WR-100 Series wireless controller from Amazon a short while ago at a price that was a tenth of the £300 plus that the LC-5 is priced at on Amazon - specifically for use in photographing garden birds on feeders or those going to specific feeding areas elsewhere, using the Canon 40D. Comatability with the 40D model wasn't specified in the literature but a trawl of the web soon found a discussion group (sorry I don't have that URL any more) which stated that it was compatible.
I have to disagree in part with the previous poster in that - using it for Macro work IS the same as using a cable release but without any manual movement at all - I set up the system for macro work on flowers and fungi - it even has a button to allow the autofocus to work which is good if you can't get into a position (say, close to the ground) to check the focussing. As for a moving subject, tracking a moving bird or animal using a gimbal head certainly gives stability but with the 40D (and I am sure, the 50D) I rely on excellent IS and some modest expertise! to track the moving subject with no problems whatsoever (even with a relatively heavy pro zoom lens attached - remote or cable release is generally used for work where the camera is on a tripod to either reduce vibration or to get shots of a subject that is stationary or comes to a predetermined position where human presence would otherwise deter them (ie wildlife photography)! I am not against cable releases per se but they can stick, get twisted and also, I prefer to keep my right hand near the control buttons for the Canon which means a finger on the shutter release ... just some points to consider.
I can recommend this model (there are others) - it works very well over quite a distance and even through glass doors and windows (although I haven't tried it through walls!). The device comes with Receiver, Transmitter and Charger - it is light to carry and easy to use (although the manual may not be the greatest! - I use the word "manual" with tongue in cheek). I can't say that the Canon LC-5 isn't good or better (not having used it) but IMHO this model DOES THE JOB required.
Good Luck.

Posted on 15 Jul 2009 11:51:23 BDT
brabason says:
Royco you described your macro work with non moving subjects like flowers and fungi. Try it with an insect or a butterfly and you will see what I mean. Macro lenses have a very narrow depth of field, as little as 1 or 2 mm; focus on the mandibles of an insect and the body is out of focus. How you achieve this sight unseen with a remote, I don't know. I use Manual Focus on macro photos, the subject is often too small for AF to pick up.

IS is Image Stabilisation. It only works if the shot is too slow and the camera is not steady; it does nothing for a moving subject. With Canon, IS is in the lens and is not camera specific. The quality and features of the IS system vary and depend on how much you are paying for your lens. Really good IS lenses adjust to tripods and to panning. Canon IS works by moving a lens to correct for camera shake. If you camera is steady, the IS lens movement shifts the focus point. If you are trying to focus on the eye of a bird at 10 metres say, that IS shift can mean you will miss it altogether. For wild bird photography I aim for 1/500 sec or better and I switch off the IS.

AF is Auto Focus, I think this is what you mean. AF will focus the camera even with a remote trigger. Works well most of the time but there are exceptions like poor contrast. AF is camera specific, basically the more expensive the Canon, the faster and more accurate it is. When I upgraded from a 350D to a 5D the AF improvement was immediately noticeable. Lens focus speed is also a factor, the ring motors used on good Canon L Lenses helps. I use a single point of focus for pin point accuracy, multiple focus points will pick up anything in the way. AF takes time if a large focus change needs to be achieved. Focusing in advance reduces the amount of work the AF has to do and speeds things up. If you are shooting remote, pre focusing is advised.

Hand held shots may be acceptable if you have very steady hands and not too long a lens, can work well for panning; great for sports and larger wild life. Shutter speed does not need to be high, gives good background blur. Does not use remote triggers.

My 700mm lens is even hard to set up it is so heavy and much too long for hand held. When the kit is properly balanced on the gimbal head it stays exactly where you left it; you do not need to touch anything unless panning. Different technique, speed and accuracy are key; subjects are very small and a full screen image with every feather showing my aim.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jul 2009 17:12:16 BDT
RoyCo says:
Hey Brabason - I didn't intend the postings as a slanging match! It was intendended to help William!
I think perhaps also you have misinterpreted the points that I made.

I use several Canon L series lenses on various bodies. I also photograph butterflies for a Conservation Group throughout a 26 week period of the year and generally use manual focussing - (occasionally, as for Purple Emperor shots high up in the canopy, AF is invaluable!) - None of those shots WOULD EVER be taken sight unseen and I didn't suggest that they could be!

However, as I stated, fungi and stationary objects CAN be photographed using the wireless remote on AF with little or NO problem. (e.g. I have set up camera + macro on a beanbag close to the ground where focussing via the viewfinder is impossible and used the remote to focus SHARPLY and to take bracketted shots of minute fungi and insects). Thus the wireless remote has the advantage of the focussing button. Certainly the Canon 40D (and the model that William quotes) should have no difficulty in "picking up" a sharp focus via AF in asituation like this.

Yes, of course AF stands for Auto Focus - but again, the point I was making for William was for situations where pre-focussing is impossible. For instance, taking shots of birds on a garden feeder (as I said - this was one of the main reasons for purchasing the equipment). Sure, pre-focus on a perch of the feeder but then use the remote focus button to reset to a bird when it lands - otherwise you may end up with a sharp image of a feeder. Cable release can't do that trick!

As for switching off the IS for bird photography, again we shall have to agree to disagree - the debate is, as I previously stated, irrelevant for Williams' question which was to do a with remote release purchase. You may be talking about tripod-supported shots where the IS should be virtually redundant and is probably best switched off. However, for BIF (Birds In Flight) handheld shots, using, say a 100-400mm (heavy-ish) zoom, the lens IS can be switched to compensate for "panning stabilization" (switch 2) for lateral compensation - something that Canon actually state the function should be used for, - although for a relatively slow lens in poor light which is often the case in England, this mode of IS becomes invaluable for handheld panning shots!
Indeed, a 700mm lens is a heavy beast and should probably always require some sort of stable support. However, I still can't think, as you said before, why you would pan it with one hand and shoot (say, a BIF) by using the cable release with the other hand - your technique is obviously better than mine.
We do agree on one thing at least which is that AF, IS and other camera magic cannot and should not replace technique and a good sound knowledge of what your camera and lens combination can do!

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts brabason - but I would still argue that a remote release is definitely worth the investment DEPENDENT upon your kit and what you wish to photograph and is certainly more flexible and advantageous than a manual cable release.
Cheers brabasonn and Good Luck again with what you decide William.

Posted on 30 Jul 2009 21:52:14 BDT
Stephen says:
According to EOS Magazine(the dedicated magazine for canon users)the LC-5 can be used with your camera.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the photography discussion forum (776 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  13 Jul 2009
Latest post:  30 Jul 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions