Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Which Camera should I buy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Aug 2009 08:33:02 BDT
Allan Wright says:
Hi all, I am looking to buy something to go on safari with so it'll need a decent zoom but need to have the ability to capture shots in low or even darkness, so probably looking for somwthing with a night mode ? I'm thinking Fuji s100fs, Canon Sx10, Olympus SP590UZ or Nikon P90 ? Can anyone advise or make another suggestion?
Your reply to Allan Wright's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 11 Aug 2009 11:18:49 BDT
John H says:
I can say that the Canon Sx10 would be a camera that I would take on safari because its got a powerful zoom and gives very good results with good colour, but like all cameras with a powerful zoom the trade off is you do sacrifice good low light performance, So if your budget would stretch you could be better off getting an SLR camera and a powerful zoom lens along with a much less powerful zoom lens that would let a lot more light in for your night shots

Posted on 11 Aug 2009 16:09:49 BDT
Allan Wright says:
I didn't really want the hassle of changing lenses all the time, but I want to pay for something that'll do a great job so money isn't an issue, what SLR would you recommend ?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2009 20:36:07 BDT
X says:
You have just made an excellent decision. The extra light and the better optical precision that you will get from the right choice of lenses will really reward you, whichever camera body you choose. Your point about the potential fuss of changing lenses has to be addressed. It is absolutely guaranteed that you will be changing lenses just when the baby elephant is really visible in the forest of legs its family will use to shield it. A good long telephoto zoom will be on the body most of the time...

You've also made a brave statement! Say "money isn't an issue" with photo-nuts around is really brave...

To control the budget, people will probably advise that you use third party lenses, not made by the manufacturer of the camera body. I have just encountered third party lenses for the first time since the early 1980's, and they have improved a great deal. Using them will control the budget a good deal and maintain the quality you need. You'll be looking at Canon or Nikon for the body and maybe the lenses, but I suspect you will see brand-names like Sigma or Tamron for the long telephoto zooms you will be advised. All very, very good stuff. My only long telephoto zoom is a remnant from my film camera days, and one day I will have to have one for the digital camera, so I shall be following this thread just as much as you!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2009 09:54:05 BDT
Fishman says:
Money not a problem? Go to Jessops and buy any dSLR that you like in your hands, it is really that simple.

Posted on 13 Aug 2009 16:52:32 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 13 Aug 2009 20:02:44 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  11 Aug 2009
Latest post:  13 Aug 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions