Customer Discussions > photography discussion forum

Best digital camera for OAP?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Jun 2009 21:07:53 BDT
Joe Caesar says:
Anyone got recommendations for cameras suitable for someone in their late 70's? A point and shoot with large buttons and not a lot of options would be best, and being powered by AA batteries would be a bonus.

Thanks.
Your reply to Joe Caesar's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 15 Jun 2009 09:30:58 BDT
Iam 74 and I had a SLR for four years but to be truthful I didn't get on with it, Or to be honest I was to old for the camera.
So I traded it in for a Nikon Coolpix P80. And Iam very happy with it. Nothing to complecated Dave simpson

Posted on 16 Jun 2009 09:44:35 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2009 09:46:25 BDT
I'm an OAP [and female] - at the mo I have a Fuji Finepix, and this is the third model - ever upwards ! Gave my first one to an 80 year old, and he has no problems. Just looked at mine, and the "power on/off" button is a bit on the small side - but even with my myopia I can still manage to find it - the shoot button is large enough, and the "screen" thinggy is huge. Once set up then I would think no probs. My 80 year old may have won several wars single handed but he is no techno-expert, and he thinks his Fuji is great - even though he was accustomed to a tiny viewer finder in the past.

Hope your chap enjoys his camera when he gets one ...

Rebecca - from Wales

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2009 23:02:07 BDT
Personally myself. I have had 2 canon point and shoot cameras ( one canon 850 ixus IS and 970 Ixus IS) my girlfriend has the Canon 960 Ixus and cannot fault the pictures it takes. The menus are pretty straight forward. My mum and dad (both in there 50's) have also bought the 970 Ixux IS with seeing the image quality and ease of use of the canon. The beauty with the canon is that you can also (if required) is progress and use it in manual and also take more creative pics and video's.. The video's are second to none and who needs a camcorder? I take video in Loud and very bright lighted clubs at times ( sound of music i like) and the video deals with this superbly. The audio is very listenable, in fact clear as the time i was in the place!!

All in all.. i really do love the canon usablity, clear menus and ease of use. My girlfriend has no idea about cameras but she can use these a doddle :)

Hope that helps you (or throws a spanner in the works) :)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2009 07:30:44 BDT
TrickyDicky says:
There are a lot of compact cameras on the market that will suit your needs. The important point is to ensure whichever one you go with has an "intelligent/auto" mode. This takes care of everything (focus and exposure, etc.) for you - just leaving you to frame the subject. Then it's down to budget. Get one with a zoom lens. Most will have a number of options/modes that you will not use, but just leave it set in the auto mode and you'll be fine. Read some reviews on line, compile a shortlist, then go to a camera shop and try a few out to see which you prefer.

Posted on 5 Jul 2009 19:13:04 BDT
V8vantage says:
I wouldn't recommend one powered by AA batteries, my previous camera HP M307 lasted 5-10 minutes and batteries took 11 hours to charge again!

Panasonic FX37 is a very easy to use camera, leave it on iA (Intelligent Auto) and it is point and shoot, extremely easy to use. The buttons are a little small but the price is excellent and in my opinion panasonic cameras have the best lens in the compact market at the moment.

http://www.hughesdirect.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=PAN-DMCFX37EBT

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2009 23:18:08 BDT
R. R. Knight says:
Camera advice:
1. buy a camera that is comfortable to hold and fits for you. So go to a shop and try some out, tell them you are thinking about it and having decided on a model then do a price comparison. If you need reading glasses then go for one with a proper viewfinder, and if you are shortsighted and wear glasses all the time, go for a large rear screen, and accept you can't compose in bright sunlight.
2. A camera converts light to another media (chemicals & film for 35mm, electronic sensor for digital) so choose one with a bright lens which means a low "f" number. Look at the size of the lens, the largerthe diameter the more light and the better the picture in all weather and lighting conditions. Canon powershot are good. Ixus are not.
3. For point and shoot, avoid SLR and anything that is complicated. It is a big market, so go for well known names in the camera world (not electronics world). You'll probably be happier with a canon, nikon, olympus, pentax etc.
4. Avoid anything that does NOT use SD cards as all manufacturers are starting to go for this format. Worse ones are Sony, who use a proprietary memory card and after a few years decide they are not going to make it anymore and come up with something else.
5. Despite other advice, I do recommend AA battery type. Expensive but you can always have a spares in your pocket. Don't bother with AA rechargeable they hardly last anytime. I have never been unable to take a shot because the battery was flat (I just pop another couple in my Canon Powershot) and I don't have to remember to charge it up and I don't have to take extra bits and bobs on holiday.

Posted on 6 Jul 2009 11:24:34 BDT
hi gereatricgeorge here i am 77 have three camera's? but no expert? love 2 0f em but put sanyo up for sale (to complicated have ordered a samsung es 15 from amazon great price for a 10 megapixel (don't ask)?) have sony w50 (my favorite?) and a fine pix s5700? once you have them on automatic, you are away? i bought the fine pix because it had 2 lcd screens large? and small one in the viewer? which i find excellent when sun is strong? and my pensioner friend's you cant do better for price and assistance than amazon? i swear by them? and only go elsewhere when they don't have item i want (which is very rare?) the finepix slr is not complicated once set up? just piont and
shoot? i do use rechargeables? but they are not necasary if you dont take a lot of photo's just get some duracell's when they are on offer (i use both?) as for the sd cards and other accesories? you will not find them cheaper than amazon? some times you can pay as much as 4 or 5 times as much in retailer's? take my word for it? must stop now gonna have a cuppa? all of you have a nice day and hoped this helped you a little gereatricgeorge 77 year recycled teenager bye
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the photography discussion forum (764 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  14 Jun 2009
Latest post:  6 Jul 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions