Customer Discussions > Pets discussion forum

Bossy young bitch!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Oct 2012 23:00:56 BDT
Denny hotten says:
We have two chocolate labs. The older one is 5 yrs old and he's an absolute saint! The younger is a yr old bitch that certainly lives up to that name!! She keeps grabbing his scruff or any other bit she fancies and pulls him around as if her life depends on it. She is only playing but does get rough and he puts up with it with great deal of patience!! She is told firmly not to do it but to no avail. I'm worried that maybe one day she will pick on a dog with less patience and really get hurt. Can anyone help with ideas of how to stop her being so bossy.?

Posted on 21 Oct 2012 21:54:26 BDT
newfinch says:
Our 11 month old newfie bitch does the same thing with our other 3 but she never does it when she is out and playing with other dogs. She never did it with our 12 year old either. Even as puppies they know what they can get away with and know not to bully the oldies. They'll grow out of it one day. What I do when it gets a bit over the top is put her somewhere on her own for about 15 minutes for her to settle down. This usually has the desired effect (until next time)

Posted on 31 Oct 2012 17:38:09 GMT
Maxine says:
The humans, regardless of age should be ahead of her in the pack hierarchy. It sounds as if she thinks she is the pack leader. This needs to be stopped immediately, otherwise she will start to challenge the people in an effort to climb the ladder in the hierarchy. I have always been the pack leader, & always will be. I have 8 various breeds of hounds, notorious for their stubbornness as a group. But they also know I am the biggest bitch in the house. I mean that in the hierarchical structure of my family. Incidentally, males aren't anything in a pack, they are tolerated. A pack consists of bitches & puppies. It would seem this young girl is honing her skills for when she has the confidence to challenge a human. A very simple solution is to humiliate her in her own eyes, either put her on her side on the ground, & & put an hand on her hip, & the other on her shoulder. This is what her mother would do - obviously not with the hands ;D. Another way to make her feel like a puppy is to get her sitting, straddle her & link your hands under her chest then lift her front legs off the ground. This will make her feel helpless and lower than she thought. Neither of these methods are cruel, but instead speak to the dog in a language it understands. There is never any excuse for hitting a dog.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 15:52:56 GMT
DeeCee says:
I would contact Cesar Milan and ask him to come and help you. He is in the UK at the moment so you never know...

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2012 16:04:49 GMT
Pam says:
I had an aged bossie Newfie bitch, who one day decided to tell certain ill mannered dogs that their behaviour was unacceptable. Very embarrassing bur she never hurt any of them, and they had owners that were not dominant, so she was!
I now have a would like to be in charge Newfie dog who came as a bullying young rehome. I also put him outside until he calmed down. Sometimes this was a physical struggle, but I insisted on winning. ( I am over 60 with a bad back, but I won). His latest trick is to wait until I sit down with a well earned cup of coffee, then he barks to make me get up and do something for him. I follow him to the kitchen and just shut him in it. Newfs are very clever dogs and can get on up on you if you let them. They do need to be busy.
Incidentally, he is immaculately behaved out of the house, only troublesome inside.
If you need to get yourself a sense of humour to cope, nag him with the phrase:- 'When you can feed yourself, you can be in charge. Until then, I am!'

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2012 23:09:53 GMT
Blue Ridge says:
Hi Denise,
I have over twenty years experience as a behaviourist and trainer. Don't panic, this behaviour is very, very common in young adolescents, dogs and bitches alike. There is nothing major to concern yourself with and Newfinch's comment is something you may consider. I would also recommend focusing on breaking the behaviour cycle when you are present by simply controlling her with a leash or a physical touch or if your leadership skills are respected by her, then simply use your voice to disagree with her behaviour at the exact time of performing. Inevitably, your dog will deal with it if her actions really bother him that much. Lucky you have labs and not Rotty's or GSD's...............

Good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 10:37:35 GMT
Lenny says:
Although very popular, his methods are questionable.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 16:46:39 GMT
Blue Ridge says:
Hi Lenny
Always ready to discuss "methods" of operant training or counter conditioning. Happy to have a chat and share opinions if you like. If you do, send me an email address and I will reciprocate willingly.
Blue Ridge

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012 16:25:41 GMT
newfinch says:
Hi Stu. Hope you are keeping well and training classes are keeping you busy

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012 16:28:42 GMT
Blue Ridge says:
Hi Guys
Yep, classes, walking service and behavioural clients coming out of my ears! Must be something right. Hope all is well.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2012 15:19:46 GMT
newfinch says:
Good to hear it. We're busy busy busy too. Never enough hours in the day but we'll always find time for the dogs. See you soon

Posted on 3 Dec 2012 14:36:19 GMT
lynne says:
i have a 18 month old gsd who is very dominant she pushes us to the max i am just about at the end of my tether,she barks at people,dogs anything that moves really acts aggressively to strangers that may visit and will not stop trying to jump on people,she has never bit anyone and really wants toplay with other dogs but does it in a dominant manner which could start a fight,she is totally embarrassing in the vets who have suggested getting her neutered and muzzling her,she is a loveable big dog with people she's used to would appreciate any suggestions as im obviously not getting the training right

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Dec 2012 16:12:46 GMT
Lenny says:
And have you sought professional advice to address this?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2012 11:48:45 GMT
newfinch says:
I think you should consult a qualified behaviouralist with this issue and yes, I also believe you should muzzle your dog in the meantime whilst taking her out for a walk as apart from preventing any aggression problems it will also give you more confidence in walking her in areas where there are other dogs and people

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2012 16:08:24 GMT
Blue Ridge says:
Hi Lynne
If you really want to counter condition her current behaviour then you may/may not, wish to contact us for absolutely free professional advice. For the cost of a telephone call or even an email address, your road to rounding her will begin. What have you got to lose? Pop onto our website and see our contact details.

www.blueridgeacademy.co.uk

Best regards
Blue Ridge

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 14:57:53 GMT
carole says:
hi lynne, im sorry to hear you are having a battle with your dog, perhaps she needs to be told who is boss. example; not being allowed on your bed or furniture, and being fed last, (you eat 1st), doing this puts you at the top.she sounds like she is top dog at the moment.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pets discussion forum (122 discussions)

ARRAY(0xab13c624)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pets discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  20 Oct 2012
Latest post:  5 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions