Customer Discussions > Pets discussion forum

Dog chasing our cat

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Nov 2012 15:02:11 GMT
How can I stop our 5 month springer spanial chasing our cat?

Posted on 10 Nov 2012 23:03:13 GMT
RubyShoes says:
Don't allow it. The puppy needs to learn to respect the cat which will take time and patience on your part. When introducing my dog as a puppy to my cats (I have 3). I firstly had to be very aware of where the dog was and where the cats were so I could stop anything before it started. I had him on a long lead indoors and did introduction sessions where I would have them together and he was told gently but firmly two words "No" and "Leave". He didn't really understand either word initially but he's now 5 years old and I still have 3 cats and have also added a 10 year old rescue dog and successfully introduced him to the cats too so much so there's often a pile of cats and dogs sleeping together.

Posted on 12 Nov 2012 10:14:03 GMT
jsm999 says:
Agree with the previous post, that it takes time and patience. We have 2 nervous cats and a bouncy young labrador and it was not easy, but they get on much better than I ever thought possible.
I would suggest: make sure there are places the cat can go which the dog can't get to - a stairgate which the cat can fit through, shelves the cat can jump onto, etc. so the cat feels safe and superior. Like the previous poster, we did introduction sessions with the dog on a long lead, telling the dog to 'leave' the instant he makes any attempt to go after the cat - repeated daily (or as often as you can!) for weeks or months.
Try to avoid situations where the cat feels he has to run to escape, as the dog's chase instinct will kick in. Keep all their encounters as calm as possible. Try feeding them treats together, cat first, then dog, making sure the dog is sitting calmly all the time and on a lead just in case, and encouraging the cat closer to the dog.
It's taken a long time with us, and even now if one of our cats runs, the dog sometimes can't help herself starting to chase him, but the cats have plenty of safe places, and they're not at all afraid of the dog. A good side effect is that I can (usually!) stop her chasing squirrels and rabbits when we're out on a walk, using the same command.
Good luck with your spaniel - patience and persistence will get you there.

Posted on 12 Nov 2012 19:30:02 GMT
Neet says:
We have gradually introduced kitten & (patterdale-border) terrier and still don't leave them unattended in any way, but how do we stop the kitten chasing the dog?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Nov 2012 16:14:33 GMT
katzeyes says:
As RubyShoes says...don't allow bad behaviour to start in the first place. I recently introduced 2 8 week old Wirehaired Vizsla puppies to my existing nervous rescue cat and never had a single issue of them chasing (ok maybe a couple in the garden, but the cat had only to stop and they turned tail!!). In the house he met them first through their child gate on the utility room door and whenever they were in the rest of the house with him they wore light leads which I could stop them with. They learnt what "leave it" "no" and "down" meant, although even when "down" they could still crawl towards him! They are now a year old, the cat and the two pups are firm friends happy to curl up on the sofa together (yes the dogs weren't going to be allowed on the furniture..but the cat was already there). When feeding the cat comes first and they have to stand back and respect him, he will wind in and out of their legs whilst they feed (something that did make me nervous...they don't mind) but they are NEVER left alone at feedtimes. When I am out the dogs are always back behind their gate and the cat can come and go where ever he wants. Having 2 puppies together I always appreciated that the introductions would have to be very carefully managed but with time and consistency I have 3 happy pets living in the house.

I have heard horrific tales of introductions where tragically kittens and puppies have been killed by resident dogs, being a responsible owner you must manage the introductions very carefully and they may take many months.

Posted on 25 Nov 2012 09:42:00 GMT
JBMk1 says:
I have a cat and introduced my staffy youngster (not known for their love of cats) VERY SLOWLY!
I kept them apart for a while but made sure they could sniff each other through the door. Make sure they both have their own space, for me the cat had upstairs, the dog downstairs. When we let her in he was on a lead. LOTS of dreamies and little bits of sausage to distract them and treat ignoring each other. ENSURE puss always has easy escape (window sill for us) and firmly disapprove of over zealous doggy behaviour. Accept it is a marathon and not a sprint. Took 4 months before they could be in room together without 100% attention but now they tolerate each other. The cat did beat 7 shades out of the dog one time when he got too close too soon and that helped as he is cautious of her now. They will never be friends but they can be civil to each other and share my lap (cat on chest, dog on knee). Finally never think you have managed it. Even now (18 months on) I NEVER leave the dog and the cat unattended together.
Spaniels, like bull terriers are genetically built to want to chase small furries and you are fighting their very instinct. Be disciplined, consistent and vigilent. Don't expect them to be friends and have a plan in case they are never tolerant of each other although it hopefully won't come to that.
Best of luck.

Posted on 21 Jan 2013 20:55:54 GMT
teresa says:
I have a 9 month staffiex bit bigger than a staffie an 3 cats rangeing from 12wks to 3yrs 2 older cats are scared of the dog as he is boistress an can be quite loud i do think he just wants to play. However earlier today he did attack the youngest. He also nips everyone who comes to our home & jumps up he seems to take no notice of punishments an will do the same things again ie chewing anything he can including people any advice

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2013 09:21:11 GMT
newfinch says:
Try looking at the post on the discussion 'My big doggie Tia' The same rules apply here
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pets discussion forum (137 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pets discussion forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  10 Nov 2012
Latest post:  22 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions